Release 6++ Gameplay Overhaul - Skies Of Vengeance 4.1 hotfix

GarryJaune

Hi Revan,thanks for updating:thumbs up:
I labbed about 2 hours,here's my thoughts:
1,Diego's 4KP refloating and Hayate's Raijin damage still broken for now,maybe change Diego's 66K -13 unsafe and Raijin damge 90?
2,maybe change 1 hit force-tech damage requirement lower to 20 or 18?(like DOA5),many characters have none 1hit force-tech move ,I'd say this is kinda unfair....

Last edited:

Rev_an

Hi Revan,thanks for updating:thumbs up:
I labbed about 2 hours,here's my thoughts:
1,Diego's 4KP refloating and Hayate's Rainjin damage still broken for now,maybe change Diego's 66K -13 unsafe and Raijin damge 90?
2,maybe change 1 hit force-tech damage requirement lower to 20 or 18?(like DOA5),many characters have none 1hit force-tech move ,I'd say this is kinda unfair....
4kp is hopefully going to get a different animation soon™ when i understand how to solve the facing issues with combining front and back-turned moves.
66k and the string versions should probably be more unsafe, yeah.
Rajin can change, idk if it will. probably not right away again. 236T ->limbo stun string might be the bigger problem on his throws right now.

the tricky thing with the one-hit force techs is that it creates some option selects and it's probably better for the game that 9-frame characters don't have access to them (implying 66h+k on kasumi shouldn't have the property, I suppose) Two hits often feels like it's too many and one is too few, so my game design instincts suggest it shouldn't be a universal mechanic.

i don't feel like the ground game is finalized. I think i'm more likely to remove 1-hit force ups from more characters than to put it on most of the ones who don't have a viable one, but I can imagine it being universalized if it turns out pressure isn't as good as I think it is.

Sotherius

I know i'm the last person this mod is targetting.

But after finally playing for more time, which still isn't a lot, here are some early impressions.

1 - I Like non metered SS attack, It's great to have this again.

2 - I don't like the removal of meter or the fatal rush mechanic which I know was the major source of complaints in doa 6, but call me crazy, i think doa 6 meter is probably the best implementation of meter in 3d fighters, and overall its a decent meter system.

3 - fatal stuns have shorter duration now? could not figure out a max height launcher for ayane after doing 214k, all i could do was 4p which didn't give many followups, I always thought as fatal stuns as a mix of sitdown stun/critical burst, where if you landed one in a meterless oponent it basically meant you won the exchange and get the max reward. I want to understand the design principle under this one.

4 - Somehow the change for the barrels in Forbiden fortune made the performance dip worse:

5 - giving ayane her 236p back was.... weird, the animation doesn't look great and I don't see it improving her gameplan or neutral in general.

6 - I didn't think anything to test the new collision and hitbox changes.

Reactions: Rob

Rev_an

I know i'm the last person this mod is targetting.

But after finally playing for more time, which still isn't a lot, here are some early impressions.

1 - I Like non metered SS attack, It's great to have this again.

2 - I don't like the removal of meter or the fatal rush mechanic which I know was the major source of complaints in doa 6, but call me crazy, i think doa 6 meter is probably the best implementation of meter in 3d fighters, and overall its a decent meter system.

3 - fatal stuns have shorter duration now? could not figure out a max height launcher for ayane after doing 214k, all i could do was 4p which didn't give many followups, I always thought as fatal stuns as a mix of sitdown stun/critical burst, where if you landed one in a meterless oponent it basically meant you won the exchange and get the max reward. I want to understand the design principle under this one.

4 - Somehow the change for the barrels in Forbiden fortune made the performance dip worse:

5 - giving ayane her 236p back was.... weird, the animation doesn't look great and I don't see it improving her gameplan or neutral in general.

6 - I didn't think anything to test the new collision and hitbox changes.
ayane can launch a fatal stunned opponent with any of the mid launchers, range permitting. 236p or 8p bt 6p are your best bet if you don't want to dash up for 4p+k.

the big design principles thing in this update is taking away some of the CB part of fatal stuns. in doa 5 you had to work for a CB, but in 6++ a bunch of characters can get a stun and then do an imitation "CB" as the second hit, which... might be fine on balance but doesn't seem like good game design. having fatal stuns at all is pushing it but doa has always had situational stuff and there's a little bit of skill test to converting on e.g. the old ayane 4f+k limbo stun and having a big whiff punish move seems fine. some of those 4h+k moves might need to be more unsafe, but it's tough to balance anything like that before colliders and juggle scaling are locked in.

I had the idea for this earlier to chip at pre-release concerns about the stun situation but the programming logic to implement it wasn't obvious, so i waited to do it when i had a way to do it "right" on the dev side so now things like making mila's 7k charged work the old way because of the design purpose of that move is easier than making a bunch of manual hex edits every time.

sucks about the FF performance, maybe animation swapping will exist and then maybe if requiring redelbe is socially viable then maybe we can get rid of the explosions down there entirely. but that's a lot of stacked "maybe".

Twin_T

I forgot about this since I haven't played Eliot much recently, but is it possible to make his Bear Stance side step cancellable?

Last edited:

Rev_an

I forgot about this since I haven't played Eliot much recently, but is it possible to make his Bear Stance side step cancellable?
he already has sidestep p+k, i just missed it in the patchnotes.

if you want a sidestep out of bear stance... i guess he's stuck for 20 frames, maybe that would be fine?

Twin_T

if you want a sidestep out of bear stance... i guess he's stuck for 20 frames, maybe that would be fine?
Yeah, this one.
His only defensive option is a mid hold, and while that is good, the active window frames for input combined with the recovery frames out of the stance leaves you unable to defend yourself for quite a chunky amount of time.
That, or I suppose reduce the recovery frames when getting out of stance. Either is cool in my book.

Last edited:

Rev_an

maybe. gotta be careful shoring up weaknesses like that though. ayane shouldn't have a bunch of string pressure or a voldo-ass bt guard, honoka shouldn't have strong reach, maybe eliot is supposed to commit to bear stance when he does it

Rev_an

You could be right. In fact, scratch those suggestions.
it's worth thinking about at least, and sidestep -> bear -> sidestep -> bear sounds like the good kind of funny. maybe adding a non-mechanical sidestep out of the stance would make more sense thematically since gen fu never had a doa 6 sidestep, or even the doa 5 sidestep with those options

Isaiahmag

There any other form of mod injection? Any other sort of mod works but this doesn't like messing with a d3d.dll on Linux/Steam Deck. I have a log if that helps at all.

From d3d11.dll.log.txt
initLogger DllMain / attach config path Z:\media\Storage-Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Dead or Alive 6\d3d11.dll.mod.ini doa6.exe = 5368709120 proxyDll loadOriginalLibrary loadOriginalLibrary OK unloadProxiedDll unloadProxiedDll OK DllMain / detach destroyLogger

If there's any information on what this mod uses on the Windows side that would be a great help to understand how the mod works.

Edit: Solved with a different d3d.dll from @AlexXsWx! Thanks for letting me test the fix! :D

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
How much work and time would it take to add additional characters? Maybe someone like Genfu? Sweet Revenge said he'd consider coming back if he was added so I'd like to see that happen. If you've covered this in chat for a stream, I apologize.

AlexXsWx

If there's any information on what this mod uses on the Windows side that would be a great help to understand how the mod works.

The source code of the dll is public, you can find it in my thread. From the logs it looks like dllProxy.h:129 @ bool getOriginalProcAddresses() failed. I don't have a solution though, IIRC that part of code was generated by DLLProxyGenerator (which I then refactored to my liking). Maybe when linux fakes original d3d11 it doesn't provide implementation for some of the functions, and that's what's causing my method to short-circuit and fail? I guess you could try to use some other dll as proxy instead, like dinput8.dll (the one that REDELBE uses, but then you won't be able to use this mod and REDELBE at the same time without further modifications). Or maybe remove the check if all functions have implementation and see what breaks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Rev_an

How much work and time would it take to add additional characters? Maybe someone like Genfu? Sweet Revenge said he'd consider coming back if he was added so I'd like to see that happen. If you've covered this in chat for a stream, I apologize.
so there's three-ish ways to "add" characters depending on what you're trying to do and how faithful you want it to be:

One is kinda boring, but you can cheat engine your way into boss raidou, prototype raidou, or some phase 4 copy that has the broken tenfu p+k and didn't get some other patches. I could add a code section to apply the various changes to boss raidou and make blackout stance work differently so it wouldn't be annoying, etc... BUT you'd still have to CE into the character which makes it non-viable in my opinion.

second way is i could take, say, eliot and rework his animations and move properties into playing like gen fu, and on the client-side you could model/voice/etc swap eliot with gen fu if there was a model formatted correctly for doa 6 (this is possible to do, I haven't done it myself but it's just the same as costume importing you see around) but you couldn't play eliot vs gen fu like this and the throws mostly wouldn't be correct, and this would be worse for any case where the animations aren't available but i could probably turn lei fang into a badly animated pai if your standards for that are very low. This also seems unacceptable to me, maybe it's viable as a side-event at an offline where somebody has a totally jacked up version of the game that plays like more VF and has VF models and an interpretation of their frame data. if you want to "add" a character properly with this method you might use the phase 4 or one of the raidous and then CE to access the character, who would look and sound like those story mode enemies without further client-side modding.

third is the thing you're probably thinking of where there's space in the UI for three more portraits and we'd have to edit a bunch of stuff I'm not sure anyone has ever touched to add content to the UI. I don't have the technical qualifications for this one but there's presumably some tables we'd need to add entries to for how the game draws the UI elements and knows how to find the character data etc, which is maybe possible but alex and I can't add animations yet (working on it, kindof) or change free-step speed so we'd need to figure out pretty much all of that stuff on top of making the character selectable via cheat engine and then eventually via the UI... and then we need to figure out if that would work online at all since it's modifying more than character data... and then we'd need to figure out how to make the installation process simple enough for those of us who didn't have the privilege having a PC at home as a 4 year old.

so... very hard, unless you really specifically want a slightly shoddy copy of gen fu and don't care if we delete eliot. And even then it would be a lot of work on my end when i could be doing something else like dialing in the colliders. Adding leon etc we'd need to import animations and i don't even know what would go into making his throw see walls the way it used to, even after we have all the other things.

-----------

IF YOU WANT TO HELP WITH THIS STUFF IN PARTICULAR:
1. figure out how to change the UI things to make boss raidou, prototype raidou, and idk, "clone 5" accessible from the character select screen (and random filter screen)

2. figure out what the .g1a files are doing so we can create and/or modify them in a usable way.

2a. especially figure out how to get a .g1a from the old .mot files that the other doa games use

3, solve the face rigging problems that the model import guys have because of how jacked up the face rigging is in doa 6

4. help the other koei tecmo modders figure out what's going on with their stuff, decrypt strangers of paradise file names etc and maybe we can use those animations if they're rigged for humans, or they can put animation-correct hayabusa in their game, somebody in one of those communities might work out the file structure etc.

Rob

Premium Donor
Lol selectable patch v1.18 Phase 4, patch v1.10 Phase 4, patch v0.83 Phase 4, etc. (I really have no idea what the patch versions are where she changed, I'm just making this up)

It'll be like Hyper SF2.

Rev_an

you can down-patch with steam but i don't think live per-characer downpatching like that is viable. this is probably a story mode enemy phase 4 because it doesn't have a pause menu command list, like how the extra raidous don't. She might be missing some moves the way boss raidou is missing some strings, i didn't look into it very hard, we just noticed a gap in the character index that the cheat table uses, and i knew enough phase 4 to look at tenfu p+k and chifu p for the janky hitbox they added to her leg.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD