A decent controller for DOA5

JohnS

I’m very much looking forward to DOA5 but I would like some help. The 360 D-Pad was very bad and it horrified me during the DOA4 era. Now I really want to get this problem sorted once for all. I know there are some very experienced and top players here.

Could you please tell me what kind of controller are you using? Are you using modded d-pad or just the black wireless controller? Which is the best modded controller? What kind of d-pad do top players use?

Please feel free to discuss.

Raansu

I used to use a hori ex controller but its no longer in production =( I haven't found one with a d-pad that good since then and mine broke from all the abuse lol. The new silver 360 controllers with the twist d-pad are pretty good though. Not great, but they are way better than the original.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
You might as well get a PS2 pad and buy yourself a converter, that is if you're a serious pad player. It'll end up cheaper for you.

Tenren

if you can find a old black xbox s type controller you can swap over the d-pad to the new 360 controller. A lot people did this back in the day. Other then that you best bet is a stick or after market controller of some sort.

Tenren

ive been messing around with a hit box, so far I like it but the 360 movements are a pain

TRI Mike

We all know the 360 pad is kinda crappy and I personally don't dig DOA with an arcade stick. So I've been doing a little research to see if there are any good controllers out there for both consoles to play the game once it comes out. The PS3 has this one: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Elite-Wir...TF8&coliid=I1B35RGIK7FRO6&colid=1GCSK06XK7XW7

Also, there are a couple controllers in the MLG store that I think could work.

Xbox 360: http://store.majorleaguegaming.com/products/mlg-mad-catz-controller-xbox-360
PS3: http://store.majorleaguegaming.com/products/mlg-mad-catz-controller-ps3

What do you guys think¿ Any real recommendations¿ Should we stay with the Dual Shock and 360 controller or go for the MLG ones¿

RoboJoe

If you're playing with a pad, try the Madcatz fightpad, it's way better than the 360 controller. 6 face buttons, a large d-pad and nice trigger buttons

Raansu

If you're playing with a pad, try the Madcatz fightpad, it's way better than the 360 controller. 6 face buttons, a large d-pad and nice trigger buttons

I have that and I'm really not a big fan of the giant d-pad. It's great for SF, but 3D fighters it just feels awkward.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I might consider getting a hitbox for DOA5 if only because it feels like controller users can have an advantage in movement due to both analog sticks and directional pad available for movement. (i.e. it's easier to back dash cancel and korean back dash on). I can do that with a hit box I imagine.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
IMO, playing with a stick is better than a controller. With there now being vf characters in the game, A lot more people will be adopting stick play.

TRI Mike

Sorry, I never noticed someone else made the same thread before me. I might end up getting the MLG ones for each console. Those SF4 ones look too weird and I'd hate to have a SF character on the face of my DOA5 controller.

FakeSypha

The last time I tried one of those it had significant lag to it.
Ouch, I wasn't aware of that. I bought one of those PS2 adapters a week ago. Currently waiting for it to arrive, so when it does I'll be commenting how it goes.

Tenren

Ive read some bad reviews about the MLG controllers. Mostly the common thing is inputs dont always work. For the price I dont want to have this happen. The pro elite isnt to bad. I used it for a SCV tournament that was all ps3 a few months back.

The problem with stick & DOA are the use of macro buttons and the inputs needed to do some moves. When playing DOA4, I found my self switching between analog and dpad. Then some times even using the right stick.

I feel the hitbox will end up a better over all controller for DOA then stick. With time im betting it will even out do pads. Like I said earlier the only use i have is 360 movements. But this is mainly due to the fact I built my own hitbox with 30mm buttons. I now have 24mm buttons and need to rebuild it. With 30mm buttons my finger sit to far apart on the stick side. You can see the button size in the pic
IMAG0180.jpg

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
All moves can be done with a combination of the three buttons so I do not know what you mean by it being a problem for macro buttons. What macro buttons are you referring to?

Tenren

i meant that people try to use the macro buttons on stick instead of using the 3 buttons. Its a hard habbit to break. Same thing with street fighter. The whole debate of having 4 or 3 button layout. 3P&3K shortcuts lol I still have an issue of trying to pull a trigger on a stick

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD