DOA5LR Akira for a beginner

Well I'm technically a vet in DOA, but since I've finally decided to try out Akira I decided to ask for some beginners tips. I already tried searching for some info here, but most of it seems far to broad for someone who is just starting out with Akira. I also feel I should master a few important strings first before I start doing combos and here are the strings that I mastered so far:

:3::h::+::K: :P: :4::6::6: :P::+::K:

:236::P::+::K: :1::6::P::+::K: :236::P: :4::6::P::+::K:

:P::+::K: :4::3: :P::+::F: :6::P:

Now this is where I'm somewhat worried, you see, I haven't mastered the 1 frame knee because of how my controller buttons are mapped. The kick button is mapped to triangle and the guard button is mapped to X(PS3). This was a habit that dates all the way back to DOA2 and unfortunately, I don't think I can change. So please tell me that :H*::+::K: isn't absolutely essential. What other strings should I learn for now that will be need later?

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Well I'm technically a vet in DOA, but since I've finally decided to try out Akira I decided to ask for some beginners tips. I already tried searching for some info here, but most of it seems far to broad for someone who is just starting out with Akira. I also feel I should master a few important strings first before I start doing combos and here are the strings that I mastered so far:

:3::h::+::K: :P: :4::6::6: :P::+::K:

:236::P::+::K: :1::6::P::+::K: :236::P: :4::6::P::+::K:

:P::+::K: :4::3: :P::+::F: :6::P:

Now this is where I'm somewhat worried, you see, I haven't mastered the 1 frame knee because of how my controller buttons are mapped. The kick button is mapped to triangle and the guard button is mapped to X(PS3). This was a habit that dates all the way back to DOA2 and unfortunately, I don't think I can change. So please tell me that :H*::+::K: isn't absolutely essential. What other strings should I learn for now that will be need later?
You can play Akira without the KNEE; however, you'll be missing out on a lot of juggle damage if you don't use it. You are on the right track when it comes to learning inputs. If I had to rank those inputs in terms of priority to learn, it would be:
:3::h::+::K::P::4::6::6::P::+::K:
:H*::+::K:
:P::+::K::4::3::P::+::F::6::P:
:236::P::+::K::1::6::P::+::K::236::P::4::6::P::+::K:

Are you on PS4? @DestructionBomb and I can help you learn the character if you're serious about picking him up.

You can play Akira without the KNEE; however, you'll be missing out on a lot of juggle damage if you don't use it. You are on the right track when it comes to learning inputs. If I had to rank those inputs in terms of priority to learn, it would be:
:3::h::+::K::P::4::6::6::P::+::K:
:H*::+::K:
:P::+::K::4::3::P::+::F::6::P:
:236::P::+::K::1::6::P::+::K::236::P::4::6::P::+::K:

Are you on PS4? @DestructionBomb and I can help you learn the character if you're serious about picking him up.
Great to know that I'm on the right track so far, but coming for someone who uses Hayate and Gen Fu which I heavily rely on poke (:6::P:) to get in, I don't really understand how Akira is supposed to be used. :6::6::P: seems to be his fastest mid at 12 frames, but does it work the same way to get in on my opponents? There's also :6::P::+::K: which is 13 frames and I'm sure it is also useful. But it seems to be used only at point blank range and ONLY if my opponent decides to guard.:3::P::+::K: is also good but strange too because sometimes it low stuns and sometimes it hits mid instead. Why?

I'm dead serious about learning Akira. I've also watched some of your fights, and most of the time I ended up getting CH by the opponent. So there's probably something I'm not getting. I'm currently on the PS3 at the moment. Are you only on PS4 and Xbox Live?

Last edited:

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Great to know that I'm on the right track so far, but coming for someone who uses Hayate and Gen Fu which I heavily rely on poke (:6::P:) to get in, I don't really understand how Akira is supposed to be used. :6::6::P: seems to be his fastest mid at 12 frames, but does it work the same way to get in on my opponents? There's also :6::P::+::K: which is 13 frames and I'm sure it is also useful. But it seems to be used only at point blank range and ONLY if my opponent decides to guard.:3::P::+::K: is also good but strange too because sometimes it low stuns and sometimes it hits mid instead. Why?

I'm dead serious about learning Akira. I've also watched some of your fights, and most of the time I ended up getting CH by the opponent. So there's probably something I'm not getting. I'm currently on the PS3 at the moment. Are you only on PS4 and Xbox Live?
I'm on PS4.

:3::P::+::K: is one move
:2::3::P+K: or :3::3::P+K: or :6_::3::P+K: is an entirely different move that can be executed in any of those 3 ways.

That's why you're getting 2 different moves for what you think is the same input. Akira plays very different from any other character in the cast. He really doesn't have input strings. He has a library of moves that are one input. You'll really need to learn frames and understand the utility of each move. Then on top of that, knowing what moves connect together without having to worry about it being stagger escaped.

KING JAIMY

I'm not necessarily a beginner with Akira but I thought this was the best place to ask for some tips to learn him more in-depth. So far I have mastered all of his moves, except for the GBoD on the Player 2 side, which for some reason I find difficult to do. My questions are more based on utilization of techniques than execution:

1. What are Akira's best stun openers and stun extenders? That being said, is Akira a Critical Burst-heavy character?
2. When do I use his parries? What are the most damaging follow-ups?
3. What is the use of his Command Sidestep (e.g. from 3H+KP2/8, 43P2/8 or 2H+KP2/8)?
4. Are Akira's kick cancel's useful (like PKH)? If so, when do I use them?

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I'm not necessarily a beginner with Akira but I thought this was the best place to ask for some tips to learn him more in-depth. So far I have mastered all of his moves, except for the GBoD on the Player 2 side, which for some reason I find difficult to do. My questions are more based on utilization of techniques than execution:

1. What are Akira's best stun openers and stun extenders? That being said, is Akira a Critical Burst-heavy character?
3. What is the use of his Command Sidestep (e.g. from 3H+KP2/8, 43P2/8 or 2H+KP2/8)?
Don't know if you saw me play in winter brawl 9 this past weekend, but you'll see these questions in action when it becomes available in archive.

Going for Critical bursts is honestly a preference in your play style. I very rarely go for CB unless I want that power blow into a special danger zone.

His parry is freakin awesome. You'll need to get familiar with popular strings/situations where the parry connects. It DESTROYS Ayane. It parries all high attacks and low punches.

That command side step, when connected in string, will leave you at a greater advantage than if you simply input the first 2 inputs without the side step input.

I use KH to buffer in unholdable set ups or to buffer in a wake up kick trade. Not really worth your time otherwise.

KING JAIMY

Don't know if you saw me play in winter brawl 9 this past weekend, but you'll see these questions in action when it becomes available in archive.

Going for Critical bursts is honestly a preference in your play style. I very rarely go for CB unless I want that power blow into a special danger zone.

His parry is freakin awesome. You'll need to get familiar with popular strings/situations where the parry connects. It DESTROYS Ayane. It parries all high attacks and low punches.

That command side step, when connected in string, will leave you at a greater advantage than if you simply input the first 2 inputs without the side step input.

I use KH to buffer in unholdable set ups or to buffer in a wake up kick trade. Not really worth your time otherwise.
Thanks so much. I'll look up your WB9 matches and see if I can learn a few tricks. :)

1. From what I've notice, :P:, :3::K:, :214::P: are good stun extenders. As for stun openers, I'm entirely sure about that either but :4::P+K: seems to be good at mid range so far. I'm also not sure if Akira's :6::6::P:(12frames) has the same properties like traditional pokes like Ryu's & Hayate's :6::P:(12frames).

2. This is what I've been using so far :3::h::P: :624::P: :P: :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:, but :624::P: doesn't always connect.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
1. From what I've notice, :P:, :3::K:, :214::P: are good stun extenders. As for stun openers, I'm entirely sure about that either but :4::P+K: seems to be good at mid range so far. I'm also not sure if Akira's :6::6::P:(12frames) has the same properties like traditional pokes like Ryu's & Hayate's :6::P:(12frames).

2. This is what I've been using so far :3::h::P: :624::P: :P: :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:, but :624::P: doesn't always connect.
Frame data. I have a thread in the Akira forum that shows you what strike leaves you at what advantage.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...ictionary-to-nullify-the-stagger-escape.2711/

If you need help understanding frame data, let me know. Knowing Akira's data is more vital than anyone else in the cast, due to all his attacks being one command rather than strings.

Frame data. I have a thread in the Akira forum that shows you what strike leaves you at what advantage.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...ictionary-to-nullify-the-stagger-escape.2711/

If you need help understanding frame data, let me know. Knowing Akira's data is more vital than anyone else in the cast, due to all his attacks being one command rather than strings.

Thanks, I just went through it and I don't really understand it though. Like for example ":6::P+K: – 13/2/13 -5/+16" there are four categories, but you mentions that they are "hit/on block values". So what are the two extra categories mean? And can you give me an example of what you mean't by, "add 2 frames to every strike's execution frame"?

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Thanks, I just went through it and I don't really understand it though. Like for example ":6::P+K: – 13/2/13 -5/+16" there are four categories, but you mentions that they are "hit/on block values". So what are the two extra categories mean? And can you give me an example of what you mean't by, "add 2 frames to every strike's execution frame"?
Tomorrow, I'll try to make an easy video explaining frame data. There are always questions around them.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I could dig up some old videos. Although Sly pretty much pinpointed them out. I can probably post some match vids if you are still curious.

I understand the basics of frame data like for example, :6::P+K: is 13 frames of startup, and on block it gives you +16 advantage. So that means :6::6::P: will guarantee since it's 12 frames, while :236::P: won't because it's 17frames of startup. :4::P+K: should also work too since it's exactly16frames. But the mains issue is that sometimes I don't understand what the poster means with certain number values.

I should also upload some of my videos using Akira for some critique as well.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD