Any tips for fighting against Rig?

Arcane

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'd like to know if anyone has some general tips for dealing with Rig? What weaknesses should I be exploiting? Or just what should my general game plan look like? He's currently one of my harder match ups in ranked and once he gets momentum, I can't seem to put a stop to him.

Reactions: KasumiLover

KasumiLover

Well-Known Pan Kasumi/Phase/Momiji Fanboy ⚥
Premium Donor
Rig is a tougher match up since he's a defensive pressure type character which means he can build advantage and pressure on block and hit. The best thing to do is play defensive and just watch carefully since Rigs usually like to go for his bender type stance with the rapid kicks, those high kicks can be ducked and a good deal of his moves can be stepped but since he has a throw, you're better off only stepping if you know he's not gonna throw but characters like Kasumi have certain attacks like 44P with built in sidestep that you can use to negate throws since its a strike and not like a normal sidestep(44P is weak to Offensive holds tho and you have to be en Pointe using 44P since it only evades an initial attack and rapid attacks or combos will retrack and hit her so it's best to avoid only slower or delayed attacks like his bender stance's P which is a SDS.

But don't step out of everything since he has attacks like H+K that track but from moves like that you can duck it and it's follow up high since that'll grant him like +8 advantage and the only other option is a low if he doesn't free cancel which leaves him at -11(He has 6K from that string for if he wants to nail a crouch but that move is super slow and reactable and it can be stepped). And like I said earlier, he has ways to nail you of you try to duck but his moves that are anti duck moves are pretty telegraphed so as long as you watch him closely you can narrow him down. And if you don't want to deal with him up close you can also fall back too since he's not as effective from long range even tho he has stuff like 66P and 236K when he wants to move in

Arcane

Rig is a tougher match up since he's a defensive pressure type character which means he can build advantage and pressure on block and hit. The best thing to do is play defensive and just watch carefully since Rigs usually like to go for his bender type stance with the rapid kicks, those high kicks can be ducked and a good deal of his moves can be stepped but since he has a throw, you're better off only stepping if you know he's not gonna throw but characters like Kasumi have certain attacks like 44P with built in sidestep that you can use to negate throws since its a strike and not like a normal sidestep(44P is weak to Offensive holds tho and you have to be en Pointe using 44P since it only evades an initial attack and rapid attacks or combos will retrack and hit her so it's best to avoid only slower or delayed attacks like his bender stance's P which is a SDS.

But don't step out of everything since he has attacks like H+K that track but from moves like that you can duck it and it's follow up high since that'll grant him like +8 advantage and the only other option is a low if he doesn't free cancel which leaves him at -11(He has 6K from that string for if he wants to nail a crouch but that move is super slow and reactable and it can be stepped). And like I said earlier, he has ways to nail you of you try to duck but his moves that are anti duck moves are pretty telegraphed so as long as you watch him closely you can narrow him down. And if you don't want to deal with him up close you can also fall back too since he's not as effective from long range even tho he has stuff like 66P and 236K when he wants to move in
Thanks. OK so as long as I'm careful, I should incorporate more attacks that evade or crush highs in general. That's exactly what happens: when he gets in close he starts a flurry of kicks and I'm not sure when I should be holding highs vs mid kicks. But I'll see what my high crush options are and try them out a bit more against him.

KasumiLover

Well-Known Pan Kasumi/Phase/Momiji Fanboy ⚥
Premium Donor
Thanks. OK so as long as I'm careful, I should incorporate more attacks that evade or crush highs in general. That's exactly what happens: when he gets in close he starts a flurry of kicks and I'm not sure when I should be holding highs vs mid kicks. But I'll see what my high crush options are and try them out a bit more against him.
Yeah once you master that it's not that annoying to fight him. I used to be scared of him but found as long you duck when you feel he's going for guard pressure and when to step and retaliate he's alot easier counter

Reactions: Arcane

Arcane

Don't be totally afraid to get thrown. Yeah he's got a reset and a launch, but he has some of the weakest throw damage in the game.

I tend to snatch a lot his mid kicks with holds.
Thanks. I will probably need to play with him in the training room so that I can better identify his mid kicks.

Arcane

To add onto this, almost every high kick that leaves in him Bending Stance gives him frame advantage on block. My advice would be to crush often instead of block.

The high kicks that give him frame advantage, and can be crushed are:

K
KK
4KK
Bending KK
Bending 4KK
Bending 4H+K
Awesome. I really appreciate it. I will try these in training mode so that I can learn to spot them better. Next time I encounter him, I will try using more crushes once he gets in close.

Forgot your password?