DOA5U Ayane Tag Strategy

ShinMaruku

While I know some people don't do tag but it's significant enough to warrant some discussion.

For me, when I sit down for tag I have a few things I plan on to give me the best chance of winning:
-Team Make up (Position of them in the team)
-Combo Potential
-Does my Team have the right tools to attack and defend others. (For example if one character is set for close range combat I'd want the other to be tagged into either help their range game or to get them in)
-Theme of the team. It's for fun people I find when you have a theme you can play better. Half the battle is in your mindset.

Now that I have those things set down I'd like to get into how I set up my Ayane Teams and how those points fit in. I'd like some critique as well as what you guys do with your teams in a similar frame work.

My Main Ayane Teams are Ayane/Momij, Ayane/Misty and Ayane.Hitomi.

Ayane/Momiji
-Team make up: I start Ayane as point and Momiji as anchor because Ayane can play the ranged game and set up launches so Momiji can freely combo into bounds for Ayane Finishers or Momiji just finishing.
-Combo potential: Ayane is always a good starter for the combos because she can really play the stun into launch game like 4K 4PK tag into 6KKK tag 4PK KKK. Or with Momiji on point, 6P pause incase they try to mash counter and8 K Tag into Ayanes PP6 PK to send the other person flying. (Obvously this will be refined and added to)
- Tools Ayane and Momiji have good throws for throw punishment into better positioning. Ayane's 2P is a great poke that can lead into some mashed counters when read properly can lead into a counter launcher into a combo. Also BT 4K is a great ranged counter than can launch that sets up many possibilities
-Theme this is my loop team essentially where I set up launches and juggles to really harass and whittle down teams. it also helps with me learning some solo tactics with these characters by allowing me to try some combo set ups. Their advanced holds and general holds and throws also give them great positioning as well. They also can cut their long combos shorter to put in more burst damage as well.

-Videos
This show some good combos with Ayane/Momji with their juggles and how counters and throws are very good with this team. It also shows some good stomp enders.

Ayane/Hitomi
-Team Makes up: It's always anchor Hitomi because she is great and knock backs and can be tagged in for knock backs making her an excellent tag combo finisher. She can also set me up to put people on the wall for her and Ayane to go to town. I think this team has the most damage potential
-Combo potiental: This is a launch then knock back team with things like BT PP4PP7K tag into PP6P into a wall or danger zone Or 7KK tag 6 P+K into a wall. Hitomis 8PPP can be tagged into Ayane's 7P+K into PPKKK to knock back.
-Tools Ayane who can play mid range quite well benefits from Hitomi's great knock backs.Hitomi has a fine launcher :9::P::K: which can be tagged out of or into which she can end with:P::P::P: or Ayane can end with :P::P::K::K::K: or :P::P::4::P::P::K: to send them flying.
-Theme They are my burst tag team where you do damage in great chunks and sending people flying so you can start up your offense from a far. They are also less constrained by weight class since I try to keep combos short do maximize damage and set good positioning.They also have some good throws and counters you can work with. Throws that keep people standing can allow you to launch them.They also have the sassy attitude and general fun costumes that make them a fun duo.
-Videos:
Example of my early Ayane/Hitomi Play. Obviously my weakest team at the moment but I think this shows the idea of my team.Launchers into knock backs. A team less impacted by their opponent's weight class.

Ayane/Misty Tag my main tag squeeze right now because of how they use bounds so well. Those bounds allows for great launchers eliminating some of their unsafeness. They are also fast fast that you can fish with pokes to set up counter throws. They are DEADLY against a wall. Get somebody to a wall and launch them and you can really do some damage. They are great at environmental damage

-Team make up:Ayane or Misty on point it does not so much matter unless you want to start the range game then Ayane is point. Misty makes a great partner to tag into because her fast hits allow you to have some extensive combos as well as she has great enders. But for my taste I like to finish her tag in with a Tag out to Ayane to send them flying. Or if I end in a knock down I can do a tag stomp finisher. However Misty is a great point character too due to her jab if you can fish a counter to throw you can really start up some good shenanigans. Also he lows are really good as well.

-Combo potential: They have great variability with their combos. I think they make some of the best tag teams in the game if played right just they end up unsafe.A good starter combo is:2::F+K: :4::F+P: Tag cancel:P::6::P::P::K::K: to send them to the ground with some good space for Misty. Another good starter is :4::K::1::F+P+K::P::P::K::K:Tag cancel variant 1 :6::K::K: Tag stomp finisher Tag cancel variant 2:8::K::P::P::6::K:. Tag cancel Varient 3 :4: :F+P: tag cancel:K::K::7::K:tag cancel:K::K: tag cancel:K::K::7::K::F+P:.There are also some great snap back combos with Misty on point tagging to Ayane to snap back your foe so you can position yourself to mix up the incoming character. Misty's teleport cancel moves are also great finsers and launchers. You just need to watch when they are viable for use. I need some more time on this. Will elaborate later.

-Team theme: Sisters who stand stronger together than apart. They also look so much alike and have similar outfits that can fit your mood. If you are feeling playful you can pick them in their Idol outfits and limbo stun your opponent.(Great for psychology making your even more effectivly) Juggle and stun launch team where you can get combos hitting over 15 hits ending in knock downs into walls. They are also a great counter poke team with good bound relaunches as well. Either of the sisters':4::K: can be quickly send into a relaunch for you to actually put up a good limbo stun. The only issue with this is weight class. For the heaver ones I use the short combos that allow me to knock them away.:P::P::4::P::P::7::K: for example. I also like to use Misty's knock back so I can do her air throw on people who get up. I also like to use her :9::P::K: to knock them back again so i can tag out and send Ayane back on point. They have great speed use that to your advantage with some tentative pokes and exploration of the enemies defense. They also have excellent throws and counters. Throw punishing with them can be very rewarding. The only issue is the unsafeness. But if you can play them safe and make people afraid of pressing buttons you can have great pressure. Also if you block properly and throw punish and counter correctly some of their counter can lead into bounds. Played right this team can be terrifying. I hope more people look into this team it can't just be 1 person building tech. I hope more can go into it.

-Videos:
This shows their excellent use of throw punishment in damage and making space. I think it also highlight why some skill is needed with this team due to the unsafe shit I did. <_<

What do you guys use? What combos would you add to mine or what teams and set ups you have?
Discuss.

Last edited:

ShinMaruku

Time to Finish my Ayane/Hitomi tag set up after a few hours of practicing.
-Tools: Hitomi has a fine launcher :9::P::K: which can be tagged out of or into which she can end with:P::P::P: or Ayane can end with :P::P::K::K::K: or :P::P::4::P::P::K: to send them flying.
-Theme They are my burst tag team where you do damage in great chunks and sending people flying so you can start up your offense from a far. They also have the sassy attitude and genral fun costumes that make them a fun duo.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I really don't have an interest in tag in DOA, lol. So I'm going to have to leave all of the tag talk and tech up to everyone else that enjoys it.

Last edited:

ShinMaruku

I must say that bounds are key for some of my tag teams.. I think that should always be in the fore front of everybody's minds when putting a team together. For Example Hitomi and Ayane both have attacks you can lead off into a bound to tag into. :ayane:: :4::K: which you can relaunch with or knock back. :hitomi: has :8::[P]::[P]::[P]: with can set the bound state for a nice knock back.

Here is another set of tag videos that show my 2 teams in action:

ShinMaruku

Time for Ayane/Misty Tag my main tag squeeze right now because of how they use bounds so well. Those bounds allows for great launchers eliminating some of their unsafeness. They are also fast fast that you can fish with pokes to set up counter throws. They are DEADLY against a wall. Get somebody to a wall and launch them and you can really do some damage. They are great at environmental damage

-Team make up:Ayane or Misty on point it does not so much matter unless you want to start the range game then Ayane is point. Misty makes a great partner to tag into because her fast hits allow you to have some extensive combos as well as she has great enders. But for my taste I like to finish her tag in with a Tag out to Ayane to send them flying. Or if I end in a knock down I can do a tag stomp finisher. However Misty is a great point character too due to her jab if you can fish a counter to throw you can really start up some good shenanigans. Also her lows are really good as well. Some would also tend to Misty on point due to her faster start up which can get into a great launcher that will cause some combos to change on the enders. I am currently testing these point changes.

-Combo potential: They have great variability with their combos. I think they make some of the best tag teams in the game if played right just they end up unsafe.A good starter combo is:2::F+K: :4::F+P: Tag cancel:P::6::P::P::K::K: to send them to the ground with some good space for Misty. Another good starter is :4::K::1::F+P+K::P::P::K::K:Tag cancel variant 1 :6::K::K: Tag stomp finisher Tag cancel variant 2:8::K::P::P::6::K:. Misty has a great combo starter in:4::P::K::K: into a tag cancel, from there :P::P::6::K::K: or:P+K::P::P::7::K: There are also some great snap back combos with Misty on point tagging to Ayane to snap back your foe so you can position yourself to mix up the incoming character. I need some more time on this. Will elaborate later.

-Team theme: Sisters who stand stronger together than apart. They also look so much alike and have similar outfits that can fit your mood. If you are feeling playful you can pick them in their Idol outfits and limbo stun your opponent.(Great for psychology making your even more effectivly) Juggle and stun launch team where you can get combos hitting over 15 hits ending in knock downs into walls. They are also a great counter poke team with good bound relaunches as well. Either of the sisters':4::K: can be quickly send into a relaunch for you to actually put up a good limbo stun. The only issue with this is weight class. For the heaver ones I use the short combos that allow me to knock them away.:P::P::4::P::P::7::K: for example. I also like to use Misty's knock back so I can do her air throw on people who get up. I also like to use her :9::P::K: to knock them back again so i can tag out and send Ayane back on point. They have great speed use that to your advantage with some tentative pokes and exploration of the enemies defense. They also have excellent throws and counters. Throw punishing with them can be very rewarding. The only issue is the unsafeness. But if you can play them safe and make people afraid of pressing buttons you can have great pressure. Also if you block properly and throw punish and counter correctly some of their counter can lead into bounds. Played right this team can be terrifying. I hope more people look into this team it can't just be 1 person building tech. I hope more can go into it.

I plan to explore this and my Ayane/Momiji team far more. Because they have some great potential with their pokes and throws.

Last edited:

ShinMaruku

After I refine my first few posts I can start to go into Ayane and Tommy team. Another terrifying team with some really intresting loops and guard breaks. Also they have the most devastating counter situations with the Izuna drop and how they can play the range game.

ShinMaruku

Found some things I can get off Momiji's 2 HK I will be exploring it more. Tring to set it into either a bound or a simple launcher so I start a combo. Worse case something to fish for a counter that Ican throw punish. Either way I get good damage out of. Sometimes the throw would be preferable.

Musourenka

I like a Kokoro/Ayane team myself with Kokoro on point. Less for Ayane's benefit and more for Kokoro's, though:

- Kokoro has a special tag throw with Ayane (means less than it did in Vanilla, but it's still 70 damage vs. 214T's 65).
- Kokoro's H+K & variants become a legitimate threat. H+K tag-in to Ayane 3PP and go crazy.
- Kokoro has a lot of unholdable stuns (236P, 66P+K, and BT P+K being the main ones) that Ayane can capitalize on.
- Ayane's excellent PP6PP is great for extending juggles, especially in the cases of Kokoro's 7K and 33P+K. Ayane's PPPK is a good finisher, too.
- Ayane covers Kokoro's side-step vulnerability very well.
- Both Kokoro and Ayane are good/great at spacing.

Ayane really brings out Kokoro's potential.

I'm still getting the hang of combos, but a simple one to use against middle-weights:

Ko 33P+K -> tag
Ay PP6PP -> tag
Ko 9PP -> tag
Ay PPPK -> tag on last hit
Ko 66P+KP+KP+K

110 damage.

EDIT: Kokoro's high-kick hold. Easy 105 damage on NORMAL hold. Geez:
Ko 7H, 9PP -> tag
Ay PP6PP -> tag
Ko 9PP -> tag
Ay PPPK -> tag on last hit
Ko 4PPPP

Last edited:

ShinMaruku

I did monkey around a bit with Kokoro as a tag partner. I put her as point too because her big body hits are quite nice insetting up tagging to Ayane. Ayane's 64T and her advanced hold can allow you to launch and tag into Kokoro's 4PPPP or PPKK for great wall or knock back.
Also Kokoro the 4T is also goo to tag out of and launch.

Last edited:

Musourenka

Can you actually get something when you tag after Kokoro's 4T? It looks like you can't tag until you fully recover, so you're losing advantage when you try to tag. Same thing with Ayane's 6H.

Nameless Sama

Wow Tag is my special area ! I have a lot of knowledge about tag :p here you can see some Ayane tag Combo from vanilia and 5U ! In vanilia I just didnt respected the guarantee set ups because I am not an ayane player and thats I wanted to look for myself what I can do with her :).

vanilia

5U only 1 combo

ShinMaruku

Did a hour of uploading matches and I will like to show some more Ayane/Momiji matches.
Ayane/Momiji
Ayane/Momiji A bit better display I think.

ShinMaruku

Just sitting down thinking what can also be done in Tag with Ayane...
Anybody have any experince with Ayane/Ein? Their footsies are quite good.

ShinMaruku

Doing some more work with Ayane Misty due to my new outfits I have bought. Remember also use tag throw punishing. When you know somebody will counter through a stun setting you up for a tag throw.

ShinMaruku

I've been working on launches from :4::P::K::K: on Misty to tag cancel into :P::P::P::K::K: or :P::K::K: tag cancel into :P::6::K::K: but I will need more testing on that ender. But :4::P::K::K: is a really good launcher that you should keep in mind for some good juggles that can end into a big finisher with Ayane.
I was really rusty in this fight but I think I still show the idea behind this team. It's either their juggles or their combo finishers that make them shine.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I've messed around with tag just a little bit (not too much of a tag person but did it because it may come a time where I actually play it). Found a few things with Ayane & Kasumi:

236T/46H/1T Kasumi: 236P KK7K Tag Ayane: 8KK Tag Kasumi: KK7K Tag Ayane: 4P~K

46H/2T Ayane: 44P+K 8KK BT PP4PP7K Tag Kasumi: KK7K P+K

If I explore more, then I'll post here & in Kasumi's threads. Because I know the launch height of tag mode is higher than singles.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD