Bad news for DOA Online (PC) players (outdated)

WAZAAAAA

The new DOAO private server is now hosted by this forum, more information here: https://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/doa-online-download.8837/

OLD NEWS:
Upon logging into DOAOL (the online DOA2U based game for PC playable through private servers for free), starting from today, you will be notified with the following server message:
lRG7ekh.png

17 Февраля ДОА 5 выходит на ПК (есть предзаказ на steam-е)
Если ДОА 5 на ПК будет нормально работать, то, вероятнее всего, этот сервак будет закрыт
which roughly translates into:
17 February DOA 5 goes to the PC (there is a pre-order on the steam-e)
If DOA 5 on the PC will work fine, it is likely that a server will be closed

It is true that anyone can host a server at any moment through "newServer.exe", but it's a real misfortune that the current server nicknamed BOBA may be shutting down, considering that it has been a solid and reliable host of this game for several years. On the other hand it's a proof that PC players are really waiting for a DOA5.

Last edited:

Kronin

All four players have my sympathies... :'(

There weren't many players but there was anyway a little community, I found more times the same players. By the way the 2 servers were only for Chinese and European players, a shame that it was never created one for the U.S.A because I'm sure that the popularity of the title would have been able to grow.

Last edited:

Jack

And at least the netcode was correct. You'll be missed! Hope you'll come in a remasterised version on Steam. Always fun to play old DOAs sometime.

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
So are they shutting it down because they want to support the game and not cannibalize the Steam release?

Kronin

So are they shutting it down because they want to support the game and not cannibalize the Steam release?

There is no way that they can cannibalize the Steam release keeping active a so little community, it's more just a fair behaviour as fans respecting the developers of the series.

Kronin

People still play this? :eek:

If you live in Europe or in Asia is pretty playable: like I said the real shame is that the American players were left out from it tied to the heavy lag for the lacking of dedicated servers... otherwise I'm sure that it would have got a big increase of popularity.

WAZAAAAA

It's a miracle that this game still manages to have daily active players, since it's not even supposed to exist. It was only localized for China, the game only reached beta phase, got no advertisement, and was officially shutdown. To this day it has no developer support (game freezes when Alt-Tab if fullscreen, game rarely crashes both fighters during a match, some can't start the game at all, game can't be played if Windows DPI is zoomed etc.)

Then it got resurrected by some Russian dude out of nowhere to make it playable again. The netcode feels good. Heck sometimes it has even more players connected than 3rd Stike's PC GGPO lobby lol.

If you live in Europe or in Asia is pretty playable: like I said the real shame is that the American players were left out from it tied to the heavy lag for the lacking of dedicated servers... otherwise I'm sure that it would have got a big increase of popularity.
That's not how it works. The game always had ONE server (Asia and Russia channels are both hosted there). The game netcode is peer-to-peer (thank god), servers only act as matchmaker/lobby. High latency with the server doesn't affect the latency you have with other players, because with P2P you are directly connected to the other player when fighting, not with the server.
Which means that a server located in America makes 0 difference.

Kronin

It's a miracle that this game still manages to have daily active players, since it's not even supposed to exist. It was only localized for China, the game only reached beta phase, got no advertisement, and was officially shutdown. To this day it has no developer support (game freezes when Alt-Tab if fullscreen, game rarely crashes both fighters during a match, some can't start the game at all, game can't be played if Windows DPI is zoomed etc.)

Then it got resurrected by some Russian dude out of nowhere to make it playable again. The netcode feels good. Heck sometimes it has even more players connected than 3rd Stike's PC GGPO lobby lol.

That's not how it works. The game always had ONE server (Asia and Russia channels are both hosted there). The game netcode is peer-to-peer (thank god), servers only act as matchmaker/lobby. High latency with the server doesn't affect the latency you have with other players, because with P2P you are directly connected to the other player when fighting, not with the server.
Which means that a server located in America makes 0 difference.

I can't believe to have never knowm it, thanks so much for the infos: so according to what you say, if 2 American people play together in one of the 2 channels, they could potentially experiment a good gaming experience? Because in a such case seems to me strange that just very few people from U.S. have ever tried to play DoAOL.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I can't believe to have never knowm it, thanks so much for the infos: so according to what you say, if 2 American people play together in one of the 2 channels, they could potentially experiment a good gaming experience?

Yes.

Because in a such case seems to me strange that just very few people from U.S. have ever tried to play DoAOL.

Me personally, after installing it, I just couldn't play DOA2 anymore since learning to play DOA3.1. Plus had issues trying to set up controls.

gamemaster14

Yes.

Me personally, after installing it, I just couldn't play DOA2 anymore since learning to play DOA3.1. Plus had issues trying to set up controls.
I tend to play doa games from all places in the series (doa++ alot recently), so I have no problem going back.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Btw, the login chat message about the shutdown disappeared months ago. The admin must've realized that the PC port of DOA5LR is terrible lol.
What is the situation on 5LR servers anyway? Are they in any shape to service the 2OL community yet?

WAZAAAAA

What is the situation on 5LR servers anyway? Are they in any shape to service the 2OL community yet?
In my opinion, no. 2OL is kinda like a free-to-play DOA, I don't think there can be a PC substitute... since 5LR is 40€ lol.

Also, the most gamebreaking issues of 2OL were the crashes on a specific stage, and Alt+Tabbing often freezing the game, but at least it's plenty playable. Man this netcode even tells you ACTUAL PING NUMBERS WHILE PLAYING MATCHES. 5LR on the other hand still crashes like more than 50% of the times anyone at any time trying to search for a solo match. It's like the developers abandoned the game... wouldn't be the first time a DOA on PC gets abandoned right? huehue

But I actually recognize some people in the PC 5LR leaderboards coming from 2OL, so maybe they embraced it lol.

Last edited:

ned

I can remember trying it years ago, but it gives me a malware, so I had to reset my PC.
But it was fun to play.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD