DOA5U Bass wishlist

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Bass is okay in DOA5, however, he has these horrible match-ups against certain characters that could be made a bit more manageable if he could have a tool to use against these characters, like maybe a slightly quicker strike or a faster OH.

This is just my opinion:
In the un-patched version of the game, I noticed that his :426::h::+::P: OH was 36i while in the patched version of the game it's 37i and it got a significant range reduction as well in later patches.
Not sure why these changes were made, but considering that it's very very slow and almost everyone I play against reacts to this (even the 28i version), I'm not sure why these changes were made. 18i :426::h::+::P: itself has very poor range compared to DOA3 OH (which could explain the improved pick-up). Improved range/speed? I'm very okay with risking a whole round for extra damage, but if the slow tool I have has less range than my safe standing attacks, then that gives me little incentive to make use of it.

:3::h::+::P: is okay for an OH, but I think it would be much better if instead of the DDT, it's replaced by the DOA1/++ :3::h: headbutt. Make it do something like 20 damage with +8/+9 advantage. The reason for this is that like :6::h::+::P: it is a great tool for maintaining pressure and keeping up the momentum instead of knocking your opponent down which makes you guard/hold wake-up kicks and just ruin the pace. I won't mind if it's a :3::3: motion. Let's face it, no one uses :3::3::h::+::P: and I much prefer stoping a Christie doing a JAK with something that would give me advantage rather than a wake-up kick.

Other than that, I don't have much else right now. He's okay in other areas and his back-turned mix-up was much needed.

Any other suggestions? If we all end up liking an idea, I'll add it to the OP.

peachyO

give him at least ONE attack that's 10 or even 11 frames. maybe a combo that is more than 3 hits. increased recovery on any of his attacks. a throw built into a combo, such as christie's PP3KT. better frame advantage after a :214::H+P:, :6::6::H+P:. maybe make 9PP or 6KKa 2-in-1. ooooh, maybe even a parry? yes, a parry! with a guaranteed follow-up!!

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I hope he gets something faster. Fastest offensive tool he really has is his BT OH, which is 10i.

Having a string more than 3-hits would mean that he'd end up having less damage for each hit and it will be useless anyway.

He has really good recovery on some of his string and pokes like :6::P:, :3::K::P:, :7::P: and the moves which have bad recovery usually GB, give +frame on block, track, cause hard-knockdown or a combination of these. He's balanced in that regard.

Making his hit-throw giving a combo or something afterwards sounds interesting. :214::h::+::P: :6::h::+::P: already guarantees a combo, so I don't know if giving it more frame advantage would make any major difference.

Making those strings natural combos is a horrible idea and they don't even look natural because of how slow they are. :4::P::P: can be a natural combo like it used to be, which is really not that silly considering that Lisa's :6::6::P::P: can be a natural combo and it tracks too.

A parry would take the piss.

I personally think that if :6::K::P: knock-down was untechable in a juggle, his gameplan would change entirely and he'd be elevated higher up in the tier list.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
How about :6::P: causing limbo stun on CH/HCH like in the older games?

I think that'll really help with the Christie match-up. To make it fair, It could cause a limbo stun on HCH and in open stance. But I'd prefer it to be on CH just to be an asshole.

Maybe :7::P: causing the same stun as Lei-Fang's :6::4::P: (feint stun?) on CH? It's a really shitty move with very limited range. Let it do something at least other than being a rarely used mix-up. I think it's linear too.

dawnbringer

Do you think that a super-fast very short ranged front facing offensive hold would improve his game? Something like 3 frames with range probably less than 1m.

Or something new for the game: offensive hold with sabaki properties, i.e. one that parries incoming attacks until it's active.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
That's a pretty interesting idea. Me and Mr. Wah had this conversation about this with him having a very fast OH while sacrificing his 6 frame punish headbutt and the wall splat. Something like his DOA1 :6::h:. You have this OH that is as fast as a jab and gives you good momentum.This pretty much could change the bad match-ups completely, present new strategies and completely change the character. Imagine the same thing as Bayman's wall pressure.

Offensive hold with sabaki properties sounds crazy. Now you suddenly have this OH which just stops almost everything you throw at this character (maybe you could limit it to highs or punches only).

peachyO

I hope he gets something faster. Fastest offensive tool he really has is his BT OH, which is 10i.

Having a string more than 3-hits would mean that he'd end up having less damage for each hit and it will be useless anyway.

He has really good recovery on some of his string and pokes like :6::P:, :3::K::P:, :7::P: and the moves which have bad recovery usually GB, give +frame on block, track, cause hard-knockdown or a combination of these. He's balanced in that regard.

Making his hit-throw giving a combo or something afterwards sounds interesting. :214::h::+::P: :6::h::+::P: already guarantees a combo, so I don't know if giving it more frame advantage would make any major difference.

Making those strings natural combos is a horrible idea and they don't even look natural because of how slow they are. :4::P::P: can be a natural combo like it used to be, which is really not that silly considering that Lisa's :6::6::P::P: can be a natural combo and it tracks too.

A parry would take the piss.

I personally think that if :6::K::P: knock-down was untechable in a juggle, his gameplan would change entirely and he'd be elevated higher up in the tier list.

i think a 4+ hit string would be very useful for mix-ups and throw-cancel opportunities. right now everyone with XP against him know his few strings by heart (6KP, 6KK, 9PP, PPP, PPK, PKP, 9PK) I would enjoy just one for variety. I misspoke regarding :624::H+P::6::H+P:; I meant to state better frame advantage after the :6::H+P:, similar to that of his BT OH.
I don't care which particular combo is made a 2-in-1, just so long as he has one. as you stated, grappler lisa has one; i believe bayman does as well (:1::P::P:), so bass should too.

:) i don't know what take the piss means, but if it means that it's unfair, i don't really think it is. bayman, gen fu, lei fang, eliot, pai, etc. have them, bass is bottom tier anyway, and he'll still be the slowest character with just about the smallest moves list.

untechable :6::K::P: juggle would kick ass!!!

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Here are a few new things about Bass so far:

New move :4::4::P::+::K: a high crush that causes a limbo stun on hit.
Moves that cause hard knockdown such as :6::K::P: seem to have a significantly smaller window for a pick-up or may have completely lost that property.
:3::P::+::K::5::h::+::P: is now a hit throw on airborne opponents.

peachyO

Here are a few new things about Bass so far:

New move :4::4::P::+::K: a high crush that causes a limbo stun on hit.
Moves that cause hard knockdown such as :6::K::P: seem to have a significantly smaller window for a pick-up or may have completely lost that property.
:3::P::+::K::5::h::+::P: is now a hit throw on airborne opponents.
sounds okay, except the hard knockdown part...that's absolutely awful...

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
They giveth, and they taketh away.
Limiting the timing on hard knockdowns is going to be tricky. Then again, I'm not using the pick-up that much, if at all except when my opponent is close to a wall.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Honestly, I've given up on getting anything other than buffed up damage, which in my opinion is pointless because that wouldn't actually help him in any way.

peachyO

Here's a question for you guys: Would making :6: :H+P: an offensive hold be too much of a game breaker?
meh, i don't think so. but i don't really think it matters, as he already has :6::6::H+P: as an offensive hold, and its frame data is similar (although it doesn't give frame advantage)

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
meh, i don't think so. but i don't really think it matters, as he already has :6::6::H+P: as an offensive hold, and its frame data is similar (although it doesn't give frame advantage)

They don't even compare in the speed or damage department. Also, :6::6::h::+::P: is a very average OH with very average damage which also ruins the momentum.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
Which is exactly what I mean. Changing the headbutt to an offensive hold would open new possibilities, giving us a better answer on the consistent bombardment of poke style play that we tend to get all of the time. I guess I could always dream, and send a tweet to TN.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
TN probably feels that it doesn't fit his "design", which is not the point here, because it just makes little sense to have a character at so much frame disadvantage even after being plus on block. I'd like to hear someone argue that Bass is actually not at frame disadvantage after something like :6::6::P::+::K:. It's more of a guessing game for Bass than the opponent.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
It doesn't hurt to try. I'm not one for tiers, but I feel something like that is so small of a change, that it could do wonders for the viability and flexibility of using Bass. Truly.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD