System Boosting damage of sidestep followups

AlexXsWx

Many of you know that some chargeable moves deal more damage the longer you charge them. However, I've just accidentally noticed that if you cancel power blow charge into a sidestep attack, it will also deal greater damage.
What's interesting, is that this damage multiplier affects entire string, if there's any - for example, Hitomi's [Sidestep]:K::K::K:. This happens in addition to counter/hi counter multiplier, so mentioned string can deal ridiculous 112 damage on hi counter

I've observed same behavior for some non-powerblow moves:
Christie's Jakeiho - :6::6::P::P::[P]::2: allows to slightly increase damage of attacks from Jakeiho;
Hayate's :4::[p+k]::6:;
Lisa's :1::[h+k]::6: if you do not spend too much time running;
etc

However, throws and offensive holds seems to cancel the effect - Tina's OH [Sidestep]:6::F:, Christie's throw [Jakeiho]:4::4::F:, Akira's strike-throw [Sidestep]:K::F: (only throw) and followups to Mila's throw cancel [Sidestep]:F::h: keep original damage.

I wonder if any character got combination of moves that would allow to repeat charging with cancel several times without interrupting the string - if the damage multiplier from the charge stacks, it'd be funny to see one-shot kill :D

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

Holy shit great find good job.

Akira max charge PB SS P+K = 103 damage on Hi Counter
Hitomi max charge PB SS KKK = 114 damage on Hi Counter

lmao Akira's "Charged Side Step" P+K deals more damage than the Power Blow itself on Counter/Hi Counter

Last edited:

AlexXsWx

Such a pity this charge doesn't apply to Mila's :6::6::F::h::P+K: - it seems that any throw/OH action, even cancelled, discards the charge.

Juihau

If I were to speculate on why that might be, it could be because the game considers a whole string to be one move. To give an example, if you use Hitomi's 'charged' SS K, then follow it up with 6P, 6P will only do 9 damage, the same as it does if you simply follow up 6K with 6P.

As for why it doesn't affect throws or OHs, I'd imagine it's because they don't use the same charge mechanic that strikes do. Just to give a brief example of what I mean...

Princeofhalcyon

Ah that explains that power blow cancel death combo video i saw with honoka. I was wondering what the point of charging power blow first was, thought it was just to throw the opponent off

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think it's intentional, imo the damage increase is justified since you're taking a big risk charging an attack and sidestepping on top of that.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD