Bought DOA5U used, says I can't play it due to "family settings"

greg

Hi,
First post. I am a longtime DOA fan, but I am late to the party in terms of DOA4 and 5. I was given a 360 a couple of years ago and have only played it offline. DOA4 is an offline game, so it works fine.

I recently bought DOA5 Ultimate. I first played it offline, but it pushed me to connect online. I had created an XBL account, but never used it.

Once I connected to my XBL account, the game then became unplayable. It gives me some crap about my "family settings" preventing me from playing the game. I contacted MS Xbox support and the rep was of no help. She had me even create a brand new account, made sure the date of birth was entered properly, and I then downloaded that new account to my Xbox. It still gives me the same error message about family settings.

xboxprob1.jpg

But the thing is, content controls are already off.

xboxprob2.jpg

So in my predicament, the game is completely blocked from me.

xboxprob3.jpg

This is what I get for not sticking to retro, offline consoles, I guess. This sucks.

I reformatted my HD using this tutorial and it didn't help the situation.

The only "family settings" to be altered on the xbl homepage is talking about family associations and such. I wonder if maybe XBL settings have changed since this game was created and it's now impossible to play the game with a recently-created account?

I am not interested in playing the game online with others, but I do want to download costumes, etc.

Is it possible that I just have to download all updates for this game to work?

All I have found doing a search for anyone else in my situation was this:

This talks about needing to have a Gold Pass just to play this game. This can't be right. I don't want to play the game online!

Anyone, please help!

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It probably may be due to you needing to update the game, when LR was released they also sent an update patch to 5U and 5U core fighters to update the game to LR so you wouldn't necessarily have to buy a physical copy. My guess is since you have yet to update the game since that LR patch is technically an update and balance patch that must be done to play with the same players who also own that 5U copy(but they were updated to LR), the game doesn't really have a protocol or anything to really do besides lock you out until you've updated to the latest 5U patch, which is updating it to the LR patch

greg

It probably may be due to you needing to update the game, when LR was released they also sent an update patch to 5U and 5U core fighters to update the game to LR so you wouldn't necessarily have to buy a physical copy. My guess is since you have yet to update the game since that LR patch is technically an update and balance patch that must be done to play with the same players who also own that 5U copy(but they were updated to LR), the game doesn't really have a protocol or anything to really do besides lock you out until you've updated to the latest 5U patch, which is updating it to the LR patch
Wow! I didn't expect such a fast reply. I was wondering if this subforum was dead since everyone is focusing on DOA6.

So Last Round was released after Ultimate? I am not sure which updates are necessary. I just need to download them all? Today I just learned how to download the patches by going into the games list rather than doing so from within the game.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Wow! I didn't expect such a fast reply. I was wondering if this subforum was dead since everyone is focusing on DOA6.

So Last Round was released after Ultimate? I am not sure which updates are necessary. I just need to download them all? Today I just learned how to download the patches by going into the games list rather than doing so from within the game.
Yeah just download the latest game patches although it'll likely take a while till you get the LR patch xD the outfit catalogues however you don't count as updates tho, those are just so when you buy the dlc it'll he displayed in game

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@greg Someone posted something similar years ago, but it was on FB with the same issue. Turns out that it was an involvement between a physical copy vs downloadable version.

For the physical copy, you'd be able to play the game flat out without any downloads. However for the downloadable version, you no longer have the option to play the vanilla state of DOA5U which locks everything out because the downloaded places itself in a jam to immediately seek out the latest iteration and update.

His issue was the PS3 side, but I would imagine Xbox may follow the same basic idea (?). Do you have the downloadable version?

Last edited:

greg

I'm a retrogamer and I really do not know much about downloading games. Actually, I would never have bought a 360 but this former coworker of mine just gave me his console for free. I've just played some Call of Duty games offline. I created my own local profile on the console and deleted his profile. He gave me a stack of games, but most i was not interested in.

I live in Japan and I bought a used copy of DOA5U on Yahoo Auctions Japan. I almost bought the original version until I realized that there was an Ultimate version. I wasn't aware of a Last Round version.

I played my game with my offline profile for a while, refusing to connect online. Then I remembered that I had already created an XBL account, so when I connected with that profile, the game said my family settings prevented me from playing the game and locked me out from all options, as I mentioned above.

The last console i bought was a PS2. I had played some online games with my Dreamcast and didn't care for it. But back then I was buying DOA games when they came out. Once everything was going online, I figured that eventually the servers would be taken offline and any such game would be useless. This problem with DOA5 is just reinforcing my bias towards online gaming. All i want to do is put in a game and play it, not have to hassle with online settings that arbitrarily decide that i can't play my own game I'd just bought.

BTW, how is it possible to buy a used downloadable game?

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
BTW, how is it possible to buy a used downloadable game?

It's not exactly possible to buy a used downloadable games online really, but usually games that are bought from the marketplace are often stuck to immediately seek out on download the latest upgrade/patch/update or block off access to the game because Xbox/PSN is trying to verify if you are the true owner of that downloaded game. Whereas by a physical copy, you don't need to confirm anything nor be obligated to download it's latest patches/upgrades.

Judging by your response, I would imagine you own a physical copy of DOA5U? if so, that is actually news to me regarding a family prevention thing with the setting still turned off. The process to fix any issues with downloadable DOA game from the marketplace was just upgrading to DOA5LR, but never seen a similar issue with the physical copy, then again Xbox is a bit of a distance for me on my knowledge to the platform.

In honesty and opinion, it'd be probably best to avoid all the hassle by getting the physical copy of DOA5LR (should be heavily cheap everywhere you go these days and I would imagine even cheaper used). DOA5LR has everything that DOA5 and DOA5U has, along with more stages and be able to access the latest DLCs since LR is the finalized version of the DOA5 editions. Hopefully you are able to resolve the issue, but do check back here if you are still having issues and maybe someone with more Xbox familiarity may be able to help you fully. Maybe @Forlorn Penguin can help.

Last edited:

greg

I bought DOA4 for under 1,000 yen. DOA5 doesn't go for much more, but DOA5U was a bit rarer to find and I paid 1,700. When I said that I'd bought it I just assumed everyone knew I meant a used physical copy since I wasn't aware of any downloaded games. Frankly, I am a "physical media" type of guy. Even my friend who fully embraces each new generation of gaming consoles prefers physical copies. In any case, I have never seen DOA5LR anywhere as a physical game.

Others have received this same "family settings" nonsense, like the gamefaqs link I provided above. maybe it's a glitch in the game?

My wife monopolizes the TV constantly and I've become more of a plastic model builder over the years (I have garage kits of Kasumi and Lei Fang coming to me sometime later this year), so I don't get to play much games unless she's in the shower before bedtime. I'll try to find time this weekend to sit and download all of the boring patches I can find. Thanks, guys. I'll keep you updated.

greg

Well, I downloaded everything that is free and the game still gives me some nonsense with the family settings crap. It tells me what I need to download and I've already done all that. I may as well mail this game to my friend in America and see if he can get it to work on his Japanese Xbox.

Thanks for the help guys, but unless someone has the Japanese game and has played it on a Japanese 360, I don't think any advice will help. I've reset my 360 and everything. I have no idea what is left, unless there is something wrong with my console. I was able to play the game as Ultimate, but once i tried connecting it to the internet via my XBL account, the title turned to Last Round and the game became unplayable.

And from what I have searched on Gamefaqs, there was no physical copy of Last Round for the 360.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Once I connected to my XBL account, the game then became unplayable. It gives me some crap about my "family settings" preventing me from playing the game. I contacted MS Xbox support and the rep was of no help. She had me even create a brand new account, made sure the date of birth was entered properly, and I then downloaded that new account to my Xbox. It still gives me the same error message about family settings.

xboxprob1.jpg

But the thing is, content controls are already off.

xboxprob2.jpg
I would try
- Turn on the content controls
- "reset to default settings"
- "save and exit"
- restart
- turn off content controls
- try DOA again and see if it works

Obviously a parental control flag is stuck somewhere.

Your XBL account isn't a subaccount is it?

greg

I tried all that. I also tried turning the content controls on, and just allow everything. That still didn't work.

I do not know how to create a subaccount. I had tried to create an XBL account from within my Xbox, but it gave me an error. So I created one online. The Microsoft tech lady had me create a brand new one with me and that still didn't work. It's either the game is unplayable or there is something wrong with my console unit. I'm really at a loss.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Did you buy the 360 used as well?
Did you make sure your when you created your profile it wasn't marked as a Kids account?

greg

As I said in the first post, I was given the 360 by a former coworker. He never played it and couldn't be bothered to sell the games that wouldn't make him much money, so he just gave it to me. Nowhere in the setup process was I asked to make it a kid's account. My birthdate is already registered.

greg

Guys, I finally got it working! I created an account on Reddit and asked about my problem. Someone there said that he had the same problem (American game on an American 360). He said that it's just wonky and that after I download all the free content, it should work.

When I loaded the game, it had been giving me several files to download:
Doa5 Ultimate costume catalogs 4, 9, 11, 14, and 17
Doa5 LR costume catalogs LR07 and LR14

I went through all the tons of DLC files one more time and saw that I had misssed the Ultimate Costume catalog 11. Then I found the LR costume catalog 1, even though that wasn't on the list of files it gave me to download. So now I am finally able to play the game again!

I thought that Mai Shiranui was in this game? I don't see her displayed as an unlockable download character. I only see the other characters available for download.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I thought that Mai Shiranui was in this game? I don't see her displayed as an unlockable download character. I only see the other characters available for download.

Congrats!

Oh yeahhhhhh that's right. I would imagine that the licensing contract for the character expired for DOA5LR since the game is not being supported anymore with content. This was the same case with the Attack on Titan stage where people were unable to purchase it nor find it in the store anymore after the licensing contract expired.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@DestructionBomb wow I just realized that. How long did the license last for last gen then?
Did they even let people know she was going to be delisted?

Yeah, TN made a tweet about it if i remember. I think they mentioned it a few days before Kula was about to be in stores to download, mentioning that Mai is available up to a certain date for DOA5LR.

Weeks later after Kula, TN made a last post to notify people that the contract expires soon and she had a small price drop for DOA5LR.

That was it I think.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD