Brad notepad

Tones

Premium Donor
Just some things I'm going to note down Online to give a hand to other "long time suffering Brad players" out there.

Each new edition from the previous version is in italics.

Assume slow/stagger escape is set to fastest and hit is on normal unless otherwise stated.

My Play Style… “Not too sure if trolling or serious…”
Hi, my handle is Tones, and I play an alcoholic. At first in 2004 (DOA3) I didn't find things too appealing, but in 2006 I got my hand on a legendary drink and that's when things spiraled. Since then I've been in countless drunken stupors, to wake up to consistent top 3 placements. I've woken up in various local places, but what's worse is me waking up in a different state or country altogether. Once I even got into a fight in the Asian-pacific against the likes of Tetra.

... Let's get serious.

Outside of the DOA I have been training and competing various sports including, futsal, track and field, Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiujitsu. All played of which has a role in how I should do something in order to produce winning results.

My strat’ is very simple, learn your tools well, and employ them. I don't focus on what game my opponent plays because it numbs me. By focusing purely on myself I am able to pull my opponent out of there own mind, forcing them to play my game and to fall into habits; this is how I produce results. The only way to do this is to feel playful at the start of the round by doing whatever until I notice one or two tools that I have being used repetitively by habit coming from the interaction between me and the opponent. Those 1 or 2 tools are then abused until I win.

Some tools are easier to adjust to than others, I use them accordingly. Example, Brad Wong’s 3 hit CB (2k+fk 66p) is very predictable now the game has been out for a bit. So now I only whip it out maybe, once every 3-6 rounds (1-2 games). If I want to use it more I'll set it up to allow me to use it more (mixing it up with 2k+fk 66 8k+f). In doing so this one tool now has multiple layers to make the opponent need to adjust to the situations around the too, making them loose focus of my true intention.

To slow down my opponents' ability to adjust I play and modify these tools on the fly, sometimes replacing them with one that serves the same purpose, forcing a change in rhythm. (example, I'll spam 2k+h over and over and over then maybe go for the CB. Otherwise )

If the tool stops working I stop doing.

This is why my play style feels very trolly. Berzerk! and every other Aussie player will testify to this.
Also I like landing 2p and spamming movements like 47414741 which either look stupid or make the game look glitchy.

I made a point of not including a lot of the tools I have developed. If you have never look into Brad Wong deeply before, after reading thing, you'll have enough information to do one of 2 things. Beat Chosen1 (and tell him I said hi) or become a decent Brad yourself.

To sum things up... The best stage for Brad is between "Home" and "Temple of the Dragon". Keep that in mind as you read this.

Now let's get into it.

____
Quick points. Maybe the "Pros and Cons" depending on how you look at things

Read further into the post for more details.

Excels in the stun game
A lot of his attacks give really good stun on natural hits. He is quick to work up a critical burst. This means you don't have to rely on jabs/highs to extend stuns. This also means it's easy to confuse yourself as to which attacks to use as sometimes you're deeper than you thought you'd be or in a completely different stance. Keep things simple, and backing off or knocking them back to a further distance is always a good options. He also has a 3-hit critical burst.

Very pseudo-safe
Attacks which provides decent stuns all have follow ups which gives you the option of beating out your opponent as they try to throw punishing you initial stun attacks

Good crush options at close, mid, and long distance
Good options that crush, track, push back and are safe at distance.

Excels at mid and long distance
See 2 above points.

Stances allow you to mix scenario and rhythm
A lot goes into learning Brad Wong with his stances. Once your opponent starts catching on to things you can easily mix things up but using stance differently.

Is not extremely unsafe, each stance has "safer" options
This also means, know your move list well.

lots of options to get knocked down, limiting damage potential and creates distance
See above.

Slow
Brad's weakness and strength relies on your ability to keep things slow otherwise applying pressure during stun, force techs and look to set and breaking rhythm.

Not good at close distance
He relies heavily on crushes and side steps close in. Also see above

Terminology (Distance and stances)
Close = In your face range, everything hits
Mid = Just outside jab and throw range
Far = most attacks will whiff except the likes of Brad Wong’s 6k+f, 236p and DHO 2k
Running = all attacks will whiff but there is at least enough room for running to be initiated (3 steps of a character).
Close-Mid, Mid-Far, Far-Running = This means between EG, Mid to Far is about exact full range of Brad’s mid attack options

BT = Back Turn (44p)
LFT = Lay Feet Towards (2p+k)
LHT = Lay Head Towards (3p+k)
HS = Hand Stand (66p+k)
BTHS = Back Turn (reversed) Hand Stand (44p 66p+k)
DHO = Dokuristu Ho (4k)
G/GSS = Gyoin/Gyoin-sidestep (4p/4p8/4p2)

Top attacks
2k+f k 66p This is a three hit Critical Burst. They can hold or to max out the slow escape (unless they stagger into a wall) to escape.
BT 2p+k is +24 on hit
3k is a 14 frame mid that gives +24 on hit
3kp is 25+ on hit
while running p/236p is -3 on block at max range.
BT k+f. fast, crushes highs, good "get the hell away from me" move, leaves you at a safe distance if blocked, if you're interrupted you're knocked to the ground minimising damage and damage potential as well as breaks rhythm.
4p+f and LHT 6 p+f 3k is guaranteed, the k follow up has enough range to hit and launch but can be countered. p+f is also guaranteed after the throw, which gives you +8 and you can follow that up with 6p+f, which can only be crushed or attacked out of... That means from the 12 frame throw you have deal either 40+58=98 (p+f 6p+f), 40+137 (p+f 6p assuming you land a full CB power blow) 30+14+26 (3kk 6pp4k..juggle may vary)... Remember that they can only crush/attack out of the second throw. 4p+h p+h does not land on Momiji. 50/50 with 214p and 2k+f instead
6p and the foll
ow ups provides great pressure. Use at distance as a jab, lure, interrupter and whiff punisher. Use close up or on hit with it's 4//4p/4k/48/42/48p/42p/48k/42k for instant forward moving pressure.

Base points of my Brad strategy
Brad Wong mid and long distance game is pretty good, so I try to keep things there. Use his stances, crushes and long range of attacks.

Close up use crushes, and certain moves to create distance to help break rhythm.
Use 50/50s, keep things simple and only give 2 options. Assuming you can set up the proper threat of throws, these options will turn to a percentage of 33/77. This goes for everything. Yes he has a lot of useful tools but keep things simple, stick to 1 thing until it stops working then move on. That 1 thing depends on health dis/advantage, range and if you're punishing. This goes for every character... This is how I play.

If you ever have the chance, keep them pressed against the wall so you can employ his awesome stun game.

Set up your opponents reactions to what you want by spamming the same tool in small bursts. Keeping things simple does the same

To create distance use these moves as they knock you down the ground when you're hit (minimize damage potential and breaks rhythm, use them both mid and close range):
9p
7p
k+f
6k+f
BT k+f
BT 7p
66p+k
HS/BTHS

3p+k (doesn't knock you down but if the opponent likes to low jab, you’ll be picked up in BT but at some distance… You can use k+f after you have been picked up)

Knocked-down p+k (see above. If you enter the stance right before the opponent presses a 2p/2k they will low hit instead)

Utilize distance by using these moves as they knock you down the ground.
Create distance to minimize damage potential and slow the rhythm by escaping close range.
7p
2p+k
BT k+f
BT 7p

Minimize distance to apply pressure by charging them down.
k+f
6k+f
6kk
BT 66
66p+k
4p
6p4/BT 4p4

Stance use
DOA5 has expanded the capacity of his stances. The DOA4 verson of him does not cross over at all. This of because his lack of a normal OH and his range compared to other characters.

Use stances to force a focus on your distance and rhythm. The easiest way to apply this to your game is to use stances all the time, even when you don’t have to. This sounds counter productive and in competition i very well may be. Through practice, you'll find what works and what doesn't soon enough.

Each stance provides different options; these options will dictate when the stance is best used. For further details check the notes under each stances.

Moves that lead to stances
DHO (Dokuritsu-Ho)
kk4, 3k4, 8k4/6pk4, 3kk/9k/ppk/DHO6k, DHO k+fk, DHO 4k/4kk..etc
BT (backturn)
44p, pk4, 6p+k, 6pp p+k, k+f, DHO k+f, DHO p+k, 1p2k/1pp2k/BT 2p2k
HS (Handstand)
66p+k, 1k8, 1k81k8
BTHS (Backturn handstand)
66p+k, 1p8 (1p)BT1p8, 33k8/1kk8, BT6k66k8
LFT (Laying feet towards)
1p+k, BT 1p+k, BT6k62k, 66k (on hit), 2k+f2, 1k2, 1k1k2, 1k1kk2, (46p)2k2k, 1k+f2, (33k/1kk)BT2k, DHO 6pp4k/pp4k/44k,
LHT (Laying head towards)
3p+k, BT 2p+k, DHO k+fk2, k+fp+k, k+f2, 236p/while running p, (2k/pp/46p2k)6k2/BT k2
G/GSS (Gyoin/Gyoin-sidestep)4p(8/2), 6p4(8/2), BT4p4(8/2)

Gyoin/Gyoin-sidestep (G/GSS)
6p4 provides a great interrupt and whiff punish move that instantly applies pressure. Use the k follow up to keep the distance and break the pushing forward rhythm, good option on block. The p follow up for stun/launch option. You can catch the opponent with a 6p4 then throw but you have to had kept the rhythm slow prior... boom ba-boom of sorts, IE 6p58p/k or 6p4k.

4pp close in provides a high risk-moderate reward launcher/stun. Best used if you have a good health advantage or if you know they are going to use a high attack, say a jab after they have frame advantage from your blocked attack.

4pk on counter hit provides a crumble stun which is handy to break rhythm.

6p4 is a great move to use after throws, and knock backs with tech rolls to instantly provide pressure for the opponent to do something. Your options are of course the p or k follow ups, 8/2 with the follow ups, or if they like to just guard... Throw.

Handstand (HS or BTHS)
If you opponent tries to jab, combo or launch you from HS they will be present with the situation of you being knocked back to the ground without any stun or much of a launch. Breaking rhythm and minimizing damage.

Use at mid range to be safer from throws and their ranged attacks will just knock you far back.

Use at mid-far in combo with 44/66 to enter either far (44) or mid (66) distance. An unconventional way to step between distances, making opponents adjust to the situation with an element of "WTF"; it can also be used to set up a whiff; from HS you can 66 or 44 when they gain the confidence to run in; from HS you can 44 when they are going to use their short ranged game to force things into mid ranged game.

66p+k is 31 frames
BT 66p+k is 30 frames
1k1k8 is 9 frames (on normal hit, the second kick gives +5)
1p8, 1p1p8 and BT 1p8 is 10 frames
LHT k8 is 11 frames (it's faster to enter HS than to not. This also gives +1 on block)
33k8 and 1kk8 is 35 frames - Use as a juggle ender if the opponent likes to tech roll to set up HS attacks.

HS p provides a 50/50 of his LFT OH and k launch/stun. Use close up and between the close-mid range distances.

Laying stance
Pretty useful because of the side step mechanics now. At long range use it to kill the opponent's run in game. Either use 8/2 or k to beat out or sidestep attacks. Kokoroach's 2k+fk defeats 8/2 because it has a funny track and 2 hits to it.

The middle-end frames of anything that ends LHT including 3P+k, LHT 8/2 LHT p+h will crush all highs, non-true mids and mid wake up kicks.

Laying’s 4 puts you a pretty safe distance. Use it to force wake up kick whiffs and other attacks.

Spacing with Laying 6/4 is good. Mix it up and every now and then LHT 6 k/p+h. LHT 6 k is pseudo safe if it whiffs because of it's evasive properties and followed up with 8/2 (do this if they side step) it has more chances of evading.

Keep laying stance very simple to increase percentages of things working. If you stick to 1 option Laying 2f+k to bait low counters, if they tend to low block/crush f+k or 4. Work to bait the low throw and CH LHT k8.

Enter LHT before the round starts to throw things in your favour. Only way to really stop this is to back off. K to stun launch. OH to catch sidesteppers. f (get up) to parry lows for a slight frame advantage +2 if they decide to do another low, +7 if they block standing.

Good ways to enter LFT
Close
pp2k2, 2k+f2 1k1k2, 66k, 44k, BT 2p+k
Mid
66k, 2k+f, 44k, 2/1p+k,
Far
1p+k, 2p+k, f+k(kk)2k2, DHO 2k+f

Back turned
Brad Wong's most agile stance which allows it to be used at all distances. Be warned, when throws land while you're BT they are not breakable and they can easily launch/stun you.

Feel free to whip out k+f since it’s extremely low risk. Throws don't work since it's an attack and if they hit you during the attack you'll be knocked to the ground, head towards, denying them from further damage they would of gotten if they stunned/launched you.

Enter BT before the round starts to throw things in your favour. They cannot out back dash the stance due to the BT back dash. You can also enter the laying stances while in BT before the round starts or to try to force a whiff with 44, as the round starts.

2p+k is i15, high crush, and has 50/50 for guaranteed damage with LHT p and LHT k8. Easily one of his best moves in the game.

From BT p+f, p+f guarantees BT 2p+k. BT 6p+k can only be blocked or back dashed. BT p+k can only be crushed.

Movement from BT.
Front dash – 66
Fast front dash (reverse Korean back dash) – 236523652365... or 6565236565236565…
Dash escape - 44
Freestep escape – hold 8/2
Back dash 1414141… etc High crushes as well
Flip - 7p
handspring - 9p

Check out travel under/overs for more.

Distance controlling moves from BT
8k - handspring but launches
k+f - keeps distance, returns you to normal stance
6p+k - dash in distance but stuns with a safe follow up.6k - fast mid to deny (interrupt) run-in attacks 6k4 to create distance.

Other movement.
Front dash faint - 661
While running faint - While running 11

Travel overs and unders
Travel overs are moves and attacks where the character jumps a large distance. Travel overs are such as such as Zack's 66p+k, Momiji's jumping things, and phase 4's air teleport. While travel unders are such as Brad Wong's 66k and Christie's second hit of her juggling 6k4k and various characters slide tackle kicks

Travel over swaps you sides if you can manage to go over an opponent because either they were close and in either status crouching or laying. Travel unders force travel over attacks to whiff while switching you sides.

Some travel overs can only be used if the opponent has been knocked on the ground and is laying there.

Assume you end up switched over and facing unless otherwise stated

Travel Overs
Nil

Travel Unders
66k - end up BT
While running k - end up BT
LFT/LHT 6
3p+h - land LFT
LFT/LHT k+f
while running p+k/236p - last frames only and you land LFT.

Travel Overs on the grounded only
8p (if lands)
9p

Notes using CB
My entire stun game is aiming to get a CB. Throws and quick launchers are just use because it is avenues that my opponent opens up. This means... 1- no face CB combos will ever be seen as... 2-all the moves used are moves I use outside of working towards a CB and 3-no need to confuse myself or think about anything other than to just do.... am I going to (for example) 3k or 4p+h.

Quick launchers are used only if they guarantee the round or will put the health dis/advantage in a position I immediately want.

214p is the best launcher because 2p+h k relies too much being close in and there being no slopes.... Would you rather an extra 3 damage or 100% chance of landing your juggle.

Power Launchers
Pointless unless you've CBed and are using it to hit them into a breakable wall. You'll only get 1-5 extra damage (+50% if they countered during the stun) otherwise. My issue with PL is that you cannot cancel it.

Okay say you do use it to it's fullest potential.

PB you can cancel, and use to guarantee anything 15 frames or less making them beastly if you've got just knocked them against a wall. 1- they can't get up kick, 2- after the guard break you're in their face. Just make sure you've let them know that you're more than willing to cancel a PB by cancelling them many times before.

Last edited:

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Very good notes! :D Thank you! :D I was looking ways of achieving critical burst.... :) I'm gonna try follow ups after throws, etc... ;)

Tones

Premium Donor
BT p+h p+h p+k is my staple, pretty much can only be crushed. If they do crush it once, I opt for 6p+k but it's nto guaranteed. Let me know if you find anything else useful.

BT p+h p+h is a beast. Not as good as it's DOA4 self, but the throw can still put crazy mix up and pressure on. MY old one used to be p+k 6p+k 6k 6p+k 6p+k or p+k 6p+k 6k 4p 214p or 6p+k 6k 6p+k 6p+k or 6p+k 6k 6p+k 4p 214p. 214p did a massive launch and 6p+k finisher forced a turn around where I would dash in and either continue palying the stun game, k+h or throw and repeat the game.

Let us know if you find a way to force a turn around.

One easy options is to p+k then play for the critical burst (3kp 66p).

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Wow! I just noticed 1kk8 and 33k8 end in BTHS and make some fake. :)

I also noticed two "extra" side steps (SS). Brackets notation [] means to keep pressed a bit...
  • 44p[8]
    Command have to be performe very quickly. This is a very interesting SS because many times it can get opponent's back in a single and fast SS! :O I didn't figured out yet exactly when it becomes a 180º SS but until now I consistently get it when in close stance, no distance to opponent and when Brad is showing back to screen...
  • BT 8f or BT 2f
    Performs a half spining SS and exits BT stance... But have some inconsistences... If a normal SS if performed instantly after, then Brad gets opponent's back when there's no space between them.
However I still have not found use for those SS during battles... Maybe these are just glitches...

ScattereDreams

Brad Wong's wake up game.

He has a barrage of options for dealing with low wake up's.

From 4k Stance he has F+K to crush low wake up's and 9k. 9K doesn't crush, it just hops over which is stupid because it's a mid hop kick. F+K will cause bounce.

8K is my favorite for crushing low wake up's since it stuns and he can go back into 4k stance by holding 4. 6f+k will cause a bounce, but not to rewarding.

For mid wake up kicks.

When timed right, against mid wake up kicks, 1p+k or 3p+k will fall directly under the mid kick allowing you to whiff punish with a grab, or from ground stance; rising k. But from 3p+k hand stance 5k into 8 will put Wong into hand stance. From 1p+k ground stance 5k will put him back to neutral.

Tones

Premium Donor
You can just throw blocked low wakeup kicks. Can also 6k+f.

If you're in LFT of LHT and they are going to wake up kick 4 is fast enough to put you at safe range without being hit.

8k doesn't a proper low crush nor is it a true mid.

Tones

Premium Donor
You'd better off with 6k+f since if you get hit in the middle of the jump you get knocked back instead of getting stunned.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
You'd better off with 6k+f since if you get hit in the middle of the jump you get knocked back instead of getting stunned.

I usually prefer to get knocked back since previous DOA therefore I play to jump over wake up kicks . But DOA5 removed normal jumps (isn´t?) so now it`s just up to Brad`s jumping attacks like 6h+k and 8k (DHO h+k is too slow IMO but I will do some tests...)

HoodsXx

I like using his :8: :H+K: to crush low wake ups. Since most people don't expect it and try to do a mid or high after it, letting you punish with a grab.

Home Consumer

Does Brad have any reliable move to flip over a downed opponent as they start a wakeup kick, causing the opponent to wakeup kick in the wrong direction? I've done this once with 9P but only once - every other time just causes the opponent to track Brad and spin around just before the wakeup kick comes out. Amusingly I've seen 9PP duck mid wakeup kicks after flipping over the opponent and the opponent tracks brad with the wakeup kick. It looks like Brad is doing a guitar slide away from the opponent as the opponent's mid kick sails over his head. Looks cute but I don't see any applicable purpose other than to look like a rock star (could use Brad's old DOA 4 default outfit for that move).

It does reveal, however, that 9PP may have some mid crush properties I wasn't aware of.

HoodsXx

If you want to make the opponent miss with a mid rising kick. It's best to do 3P+K right as they're in the animation of doing the mid kick, do dodge it. Since it can safely dodge mids. If they go for a low, best one is either 6H+K or 8K.

Tones

Premium Donor
No but he can roll or flip away to a safe range.

Hoods, 8k isn't a reliable low crush but you're right with entering LHT crushing mid get up kicks.

If they have the threat of a wake up kick you also have the threat of 8p.

I've been trying to work on Brad's throw game with 4h+p. You can get a 5h+p off of 4h+p and then off of that you get a mix-up.

4h+p, 5h+p into:

• 6h+p (ender): This will snuff slow escapes and land a back throw which can be followed up with a 8p downed attack or any other oki. This will get beat by any attack though
  • 4h+p (reset): If they slow escape this should be just slow enough for them to turn around and fall right back into the mix-up
  • Attacking (combo starter): Once they start attacking through your grab mix-up is when you start attacking them. There are so many possible attacking angles that I don't think I should go through them in detail. (EXPERIMENT!!!)
  • Stances: I'm still iffy on stances because I haven't really tried to work them into the mix-up yet but I will update this when I do
I'm very new to posting on here (this is actually my first post) but I have been playing Brad since 3 and would love to further the tech that we all know he has!

HoodsXx

I don't think he's low tier at all lol... He's definitely mid tier, on the higher spectrum of mid tier imo. Only low tier I'd say is Alpha.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD