Day 1 of IPL's 12 Days of DOA coverage

It appears that the first article from IPL has been released today. The article brings up the changes the game has gone through since last seen on the show floor of the Electronic Entertainment Expo. This includes a new critical stun that disallows holding and struggle escaping out of it, changes to the Critical Burst mechanic, disadvantage changes on block, and various option settings that many players I think will come to enjoy.

Check out the full article for all the news coming out of IGN's Pro League and our own DrDogg, and stay tuned for the next 11 days as the site counts down to the second I'm a Fighter World Championship tournament being held in San Mateo, CA on Aug 18th.

IPL-logo.png

For the hardcore competitive players, they’ll be happy to hear that a new “unholdable” stun has been added into the mix. At E3, the tournament players were ecstatic to find that certain stuns did not allow for the opposing player to use a counter hold, something the series is well known for. These stuns included the sit-down stun, limbo stun, stagger back stun and the newly introduced Critical Burst stun.

Adding to this list is the faint stun, which we lovingly named because of the way the opponent reacts while in the stun. They slowly fall back, almost as if they’re fainting on the spot. So far we only noticed this new stun while playing as Leifang, but the game isn’t quite finished yet and not all of the characters were available in the build we played. It’s quite possible we’ll see more characters with this stun when the game hits store shelves in less than two months.

While competitive players were very happy to discover the unholdable stuns in the E3 build, some were concerned because it was possible to “shake out” of these stuns by rapidly moving the d-pad and pressing buttons. It seems as though Team Ninja is paying close attention to the fan base, because these stuns are now much harder to shake out of. In fact, it took a full match of shaking out of stuns before we were able to avoid some of the follow-up attacks that were more easily avoidable in the E3 build. It also seems as though it’s not possible to shake out of the new faint stun at all, which should have tournament players even more enthusiastic.

Source: IGN Pro League

Customizing the random feature is pretty nice...although it kind of defeats the point of it, but still I like it lol.

I don't like seeing the CB being nerfed. I saw no problem with doing two CB's back to back to "shortcut" the stun, but seeing some of the characters having CB mid string I guess it had to be changed. Still lame either way. I would of preferred the CB's being single hit attacks. I really feel that having a CB in a string is going to hurt characters more than the characters that can do them in a single attack.

Faint stun sounds like VF.

Edit:
Customizing the random feature is pretty nice...although it kind of defeats the point of it, but still I like it lol.

I think the significance of this is to be able to single out tourney-worthy stages for random select. It is pretty cool.

I don't like seeing the CB being nerfed. I saw no problem with doing two CB's back to back to "shortcut" the stun, but seeing some of the characters having CB mid string I guess it had to be changed. Still lame either way. I would of preferred the CB's being single hit attacks. I really feel that having a CB in a string is going to hurt characters more than the characters that can do them in a single attack.

Every character that has a CB in the middle of a string has another one as a single hit attack.

Dogg, have you been able to test if the limbo stun is actually un-holdable? I know the last time I asked in the E3 thread you weren't able to. I want more un-holdable situations.

Posting on SRK. On a related note, I just realized that we've been using the wrong (older?) version of the IPL logo for some time now.

Guys, inside these changes is this still a problem? (like was opinion of Dr.Dogg if I'm not wrong)

Some characters, such as Bayman, can still get to a Critical Burst stun in three hits, but this seems to be the exception, not the rule. Most characters can’t get a Critical Burst stun until at least the fourth hit of a combo.

Guys, inside these changes is this still a problem? (like was opinion of Dr.Dogg if I'm not wrong)

It's still an issue, but with the various unholdable stuns we'll just have to deal. I doubt we'll see that change back to how it was.

i dont think it matters really, the game now has one more unholdable stun and, depending on how difficult it will be to actually pull off, we may not need to have CB's early. Besides, i think its a good idea to only have CB's come out at VERY specific times. it removes guessing. I would actually prefer they narrow the criteria for a CB even more lol

i dont think it matters really, the game now has one more unholdable stun and, depending on how difficult it will be to actually pull off, we may not need to have CB's early. Besides, i think its a good idea to only have CB's come out at VERY specific times. it removes guessing. I would actually prefer they narrow the criteria for a CB even more lol

It actually makes the guessing even worse. When you could CB on the third hit, you only had one chance to counter in most situations. With CB as the 4th-5th hit, even with a sit-down stun, you still have 2-3 chances to counter.

The main issue is that any character who can't CB until the 4th hit of a combo... unless they can use back to back unholdable stuns, they may as well not have a CB. It just becomes another attack at that point. It's not any more of a threat or a danger, it's the same as a launcher.

It actually makes the guessing even worse. When you could CB on the third hit, you only had one chance to counter in most situations. With CB as the 4th-5th hit, even with a sit-down stun, you still have 2-3 chances to counter.

The main issue is that any character who can't CB until the 4th hit of a combo... unless they can use back to back unholdable stuns, they may as well not have a CB. It just becomes another attack at that point. It's not any more of a threat or a danger, it's the same as a launcher.

IMO at that point it's just a tool to give power blows a purpose in the fight.

i should elaborate. what i meant was that you should ONLY be allowed a CB on a particular hit/hits. 3rd/4th/5th whatever. if you miss it your screwed. THAT removes guessing regarding the CB. You still have all your other unholdable options so you could theoretically pull of a combo that is unholdable from the 1st/2nd hit. i know i said it does not matter if CB comes late, i meant where you do 2 in a row so as not to wait for the 3rd/4th hit.sorry for the confusion

I don't know about the rest of you, but my friend (MajesticBlue) and I made it a point to ask TeamNinja to make a customize-able random pool.

The thought behind it was that some players enjoy a lot of characters but absolutely hate getting others. So instead of having to always pick if you wish to avoid the ones you dislike, you could simply remove them from the random pool and have the game pick for you who you would play as.

It's not something that has to be done - just an option available for those who would enjoy it.

Still, I'm psyched to hear about this :D whether they listened to me or not, it's an awesome thing.

Yeah, it is kinda weird... Team Ninja addressed most of my concerns, and I'm in shock they listened to us on the random select edits. If only I had saved a copy of what I sent them...

All I know is based on my track record so far we can expect to see Momiji in Doa 5! Hahaha. Ryu might be getting his old up kick back as well. To be fair I really just asked for a new decent mid launcher or old up kick. His Doa 2 6PK was on my wishlist though.

Hayabusa doesn't need any buffs... at all. He's fine the way he is. In fact, given the option I'd probably tone him down a bit, but it depends on how everyone else turns out. I'd put him just outside of top tier at the moment.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD