Day 2 of IPL's 12 Days of DOA: Rig Breakdown

It looks like IGN Pro League and our own DrDogg has released his breakdown of the new character to Dead or Alive 5: Rig. Rig is a self-taught Tae Kwon Do fighter who has spent all of his life on an oil rig, giving him his nickname. He has amnesia of his past so took the name Rig.

The article breaks down his play style for those looking to pick him up when Dead or Alive 5 drops this September.

Be sure to check out the full article over at IPL website:

rigt.png

DrDogg said:
Rig is one of the few characters who has good 2-in-1 attacks, also known as natural combos. This means that if the first hit connects, the second hit is nearly impossible to avoid or counter. It’s a tactic that has been used often by competitive players in previous DOA games. Rig has an attack string that starts with a mid kick and ends with either a high attack (that transitions in Flamingo), a safe mid attack, or a low attack that leads into a 2-in-1 and transitions into Flamingo. All three options are safe if blocked, but if the low 2-in-1 is blocked, the next attack is high and comes out so fast the opposing player will automatically remain crouching and evade it. Essentially, the only way to really escape Rig’s offensive pressure in this situation is to block the low attack or sidestep the high attack.

Once Rig enters his Flamingo stance, the mix-ups only become more deadly. He has roughly 20 attacks at his disposal from the Flamingo stance, including a guard break that forces the opponent into a tough situation. The guard break (which can also be used from his normal stance) leaves Rig at enough of an advantage that he can attack long before the opposing character. When used near a wall, Rig gains enough advantage to connect a quick attack and transition into a combo. In open space, if Rig attempts a punch or kick, chances are the opponent won’t be able to beat him out with an attack of their own. If he attempts his launching throw, an opponent’s attack will beat out Rig’s throw, or the throw can be ducked. Of course, if the opponent attempts to duck, Rig can use one of his sit-down stun options to really put the opponent in a tough spot.

Source: IGN Pro League

In Doa are most nautral combos negative on hit? If Rig gets his nc and he has frame adavantage that would make it pretty easy to keep pressure up.

On hit? In DOA3 the natural combos were the last few or the entire string typically resulting in knockdown or knockback.

Ah, makes sense. I have non Doa fighters on the brain I guess. Nautral combos make me think of Tekken.
truth be told it confuses the shit out of me too, not even because of tekken. i would need to have somebody show me that in=game before i completely understand

Good early breakdown of the character. I wasn't really interested in Rig before, but after reading this I'm definitely going to check him out as soon as I get my hands on the game, after I check out Ayane first of course. ;)

Good early breakdown of the character. I wasn't really interested in Rig before, but after reading this I'm definitely going to check him out as soon as I get my hands on the game, after I check out Ayane first of course. ;)

You can't have him, he's mine... stick to your ninja!

"From what we’re hearing, one of the changes Rig will likely see in later builds is to make more of his Flamingo cancels safe..."

This leads me to believe that other stance-heavy characters (Brad, Helena) will gain safer transitions into theirs as well. While it would be a nice touch for Helena, it's absolutely necessary for Brad.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD