Dead or Alive 4 Modding Thread (lets collect all the information about modding this game)

gamemaster14

From what I have seen many people have tried to mod doa4, the problem being, there have been a mod here and there tried by a modder or two and nothing really came together. I have created this thread to bring together any data about modding doa4.

I have seen topics with things as simple as making Kokoro's Kimono playable and more complex as changing moves. If you know anything at all about doa4 modding, feel free to post here, and please do not link to other forums or websites because unfortunately I have found many topics with linked content that no longer exists.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
So I never took the project further than this:

Honestly, it was a pipe-dream to try and reinvent DOA4 but all we could do we change stun, hit and block properties as well as manually hex-editing frames. All of DOA4's major system issues weren't able to be addressed with our limited knowledge and tools. I wasn't even the guy that cracked anything, I'm not that clever, I just really like the under-the-hood type stuff in video games. Oh shit could Bass do some ridiculous stuff in these builds though. You guys had nooo idea. He was so ridiculous and fun.

gamemaster14

Does anyone know if there are ways of extracting textures and editing them in doa4? I believe it's files are tpr instead of xpr.

gamemaster14

Thanks man, I will give it a try when I get a chance, doax3 was delivered to my house today so I will probably be playing that tonight.

I will probably eventually be making some doa4 mod videos if I get any favorable results.

TakedaZX

Question. Was it possible to make certain strings 2 in 1. Like in the case of Hayate's 4KK for example. It's 2 in 1 now in DOA5 but back then it wasn't, the second kick just came out fairly quickly so online (where most played) it wasn't being held.

Also is it possible to force new strings and new moves in general. Like would we be able to recreate Hayate's DOA5 wind dash through giving him Kasumi's 3P+K:

3P+KP - Her elbow like normal but guard breaks for +3 or something.
3P+KK - Goes into 4H+K for Hayate, but with 4.1 launch and 5.0 relaunch properties.
3P+KP+K - Goes directly into Hayate's 1P+K launcher.
3P+KT - Doesn't matter which throw but Hokage would be fine.

Then make his PPK6P+K cancel into it? It's just ideas... but I was interested in it last night when I first started thinking about how Ryu's Nin Stance could be put into DOA4 so the idea was to take Kasumi (6K) or Bayman's Knee's (I forgot his input) and put it as an option out of Nin stance. It make look dirty but it would open some new avenues.

Is it possible?

Last edited:

usagiZ

Question. Was it possible to make certain strings 2 in 1. Like in the case of Hayate's 4KK for example. It's 2 in 1 now in DOA5 but back then it wasn't, the second kick just came out fairly quickly so online (where most played) it wasn't being held.

Also is it possible to force new strings and new moves in general. Like would we be able to recreate Hayate's DOA5 wind dash through giving him Kasumi's 3P+K:

3P+KP - Her elbow like normal but guard breaks for +3 or something
3P+KK - Goes into 4H+K for Hayate, but with 4.1 relaunch properties.
3P+KP+K - Goes directly into Hayate's 1P+K launcher.
3P+KT - Doesn't matter which throw but Hokage would be fine.

Then make his PPK6P+K cancel into it? It's just ideas... but I was interested in it last night when I first started thinking about how Ryu's Nin Stance could be put into DOA4 so the idea was to take Kasumi (6K) or Bayman's Knee's (I forgot his input) and put it as an option out of Nin stance. It make look dirty but it would open some new avenues.

Is it possible?
I would venture to say all of that is possible, seeing as the file systems for movesets aren't too different from DOAU/O or DOA3. I'm almost certain the movesets are as easy to tweak as they are in DOAO, although some testing would need to be done for the things you're suggesting.

I would really like to try it out, unfortunately I have no access to a modded 360 that can...allow me to do so.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Making moves 2-in-1s should be possible, it's as simple as increasing the stun on the first move. Our tools were fairly limited and the format hadn't been fully cracked but it should be doable with hex. A lot of the frame changes we were making were manually done by hex. I used to have the 4.0 and 4.1 patch files separated somewhere to compare changes. They took some 2in1s out between versions (Ein 3kk comes to mind). There's your starting point.

TakedaZX

Word. I'll see what I can find out about obtaining one.

There's a lot I really like about DOA4.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Seeing this stuff for DOA4 really got me hyped to play it again.

We've gotta do a project like this for DOA5LR on PC.

PrincessPeachfan2016

Question about modding, i would like to mod my Xbox 360 Slim E. so i want to Extract Helena's Opera dress to Kasumi and edit the textures to made a Pink dress. To do this on Xbox 360, i need JTAG (I think that must be RGH, Not JTAG.) RGH, R-JTAG or a Pendrive to mod Xbox?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
This Version Will be released as an Iso, you don't need a Jtag or Rgh xbox 360 to play this. Just download Burnt and Play.

The Xbox 360 still needs to be modded for that. You don't need to do a full blown JTAG/RGH, but you'd at least need to flash the DVD drive.

Technically, you can get around this by hotswapping, but doing that would be annoying and isn't very smart.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I created this just for sharing my personal work on DOA4 Mods

This game is a classic to me and for all those DOA fans
So I decided to share this (is a work in progress and it will be released this year)

Made it by me
But if you wish to help me that would be cool.

Things that you will see in this version of Doa4 :

-Playable Alpha 152 (Male)[Zack Removed]
With her/his custom outfits

-Playable Muramasa (Ninja Gaiden Black)

-Playable Helena's Mother (Alive and Undead)

-Playable Announcer (the guy on Tina's Story mode)

-Playable Kokoro's Mother (really Glitchy with no eyes and with a white stick as leg)

(Since The opera Dress is A really nice outfit I will make it playable (with variants) for almost all the female Characters [Including Eliot even when he is not a female])

-Custom Outfits for all the characters, like :
Kasumi:
Opera Dress (custom)
Xbox One Girl
Skyrim tributes outfits(whiterun, stormcloak, and dark brotherhood)
DOA2 Ultimate's Alpha Ninja Outfit
And more

Ayane:
Opera Dress (Custom)
Recolor of the outfits
Skyrim tribute outfits
Xbox One Girl (may change this to ps4 girl)
And more

Hitomi :
Swaped-Custom Outfits
Opera Dress (custom)
Doa2 ultimate's School Outfit
And more

Kokoro :
*** I WISH TO MAKE THE KIMONO PLAYABLE I REALLY REALLY NEED SOME HELP ON THAT**. Besides this.
Swaped-Custom Outfits
Opera Dress (Custom)
Undead School Outfit
And more

Eliot :
(Female Swap) - Custom Outfits, opera dress, school and so on)

Tina :
All Outfits modded to get many variants of Tina.
Playable Undead mother (Helena's Mom)

Helena:
Really Clean-Well set Opera Dress (so they will Match with the Head part)
-Blue and black
-Red and black
-Helena's Mother Playable (Alive version), so you will finally get the revenge (cuz christie tried to kill you xD)
And more

Ryu Hayabusa :
- Jack Of Blades (Fable The Lost Chapters Reference)
-2ND outfit with custom mask
-Custom Doppleganger outfit
-Undead Ninja

Leon:
Custom Call of Duty Ghost outfit
All other outfits also custom

Hayate:
Skyrim Reference Outfit
Ryu Hayabusa Variable (Ninja Gaiden Black blue-skin version)
Ryu Hayabusa (Main Black Outfit)
Ryu Hayabusa (color Color Variant)
*so yeah you will play with Ryu And His Doppleganger side by side* xD

Leifang :
Custom Outfits like a Bloody variant
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen Outfit tribute
Witchers Tribute
And more

Halo Spartan :
Custom Outfits (all)
With Halo 4, 5 and 3 references

Jann Lee :
Xbox One Male
Dragon's Dogma Custom Outfit
Variants on the rest

Bayman :
Also a COD Ghost Outfit
Undead Soldier Outfit
GOW Reference
And more

-Custom levels (a few with reference of other video games like Fable Tlc, Skyrim and more)

Example:
The Temple Level : Fable And Fable 3 RF
Las Vegas Level: Doa5LR, Skyrim and many xbox one games RF

This Version Will be released as an Iso, you don't need a Jtag or Rgh xbox 360 to play this. Just download Burnt and Play.

***If you know how to make kokoro's kimono playable please help me with it, that would be nice, since w ith a simple swap doesnt fit cuz the .cat file is too big :/ ***View attachment 24376 View attachment 24377 View attachment 24375
Those are amazing, especially that Kasumi texture edit mod and the schoolgirl Eliot one! When you do hex swaps of outfits for different characters is it possible to keep that character's skin tone so say when Kasumi wears an outfit of Lisa her skin won't change to Lisa's color?

Mark Of Blades

Those are amazing, especially that Kasumi texture edit mod and the schoolgirl Eliot one! When you do hex swaps of outfits for different characters is it possible to keep that character's skin tone so say when Kasumi wears an outfit of Lisa her skin won't change to Lisa's color?
Thanks, The skin color stays sometimes example when you swap kasumi with Ayane's body sometimes keeps the skin tone of ayane, so I need to manually Recolor the skin area, I will try it with kasumi and Lisa :) and I will post it here

Mark Of Blades

The Xbox 360 still needs to be modded for that. You don't need to do a full blown JTAG/RGH, but you'd at least need to flash the DVD drive.

Technically, you can get around this by hotswapping, but doing that would be annoying and isn't very smart.
Yes, that's right DVD drive flashed is need it. And that case to make the xbox read the burned dvds :)

Mark Of Blades

Well. About Kokoro's kimono, There's 2 guys that did it. There's Leo_Strawberry on Youtube and a japanese guy, He said that he posted on a site the tutorial on how to play as Kimono Kokoro but i don't know which one. Anyway, i'll post you a link to their Channels. The Kokoro video from Leo:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbv7uVmwfbpnD0rBocDlJNg (I'll post the other channel later. )
Thanks I will try to ask Leo again about the kimono stuff. . I do hope that he remembers how to :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD