System Details of the Rising mechanic

WAZAAAAA

In DOA5LR, you can lie on the floor in 4 different ways:
- face up+feet to foe
- face down+head to foe
- face down+feet to foe
- face up+head to foe

During those 4 ways, every character (with the exception of Alpha-152) can universally Rise in 5 directions.
Back:
- invulnerable to Ground Strikes
- unable to cancel into Rising Kicks
- Alpha-152 has only access to Back Rises
Forward:
- unable to use on Tech Rolls
Neutral:
- unable to use on Tech Rolls
- fastest way to rise
- default choice when the player doesn't do anything to Rise
Side:
- Up and Down versions share the same properties
- they have "Sidestep Evade" status from frame 1 to 18
- even though Side Rises are not Ground Strike invincible, they are still capable of avoiding Ground Strikes because of how it makes characters go off-axis
- Down is the default choice for Tech Rolls when no direction has been specified by the player

Here's an animated picture of the duration of every "universal Rising animation", expressed in frames.
xIuiniY.gif

The opponent is on the left in every picture.
Alpha-152 can only Back Rise. Her Rise always lasts for 41 frames.
The "standard" Tech Roll animation (the one caused by Tech Rolling Ein's 236P) lasts 39 frames.
The above image's frame data remains true for Tech Rolls.​

FREE TRAINING MODE RISING BEHAVIOURS:
RECOVERY ON = the dummy will choose where to rise randomly at each knockdown. In case of a hard knockdown (inability to Tech Roll an attack that knocks you down), it will follow the rules of RECOVERY OFF
RECOVERY OFF = the dummy will always neutral rise one frame earlier than a player possibly could (also applies to Alpha-152). Yes, the dummy cheats the system. Additionally, for a player, rising up at his first possible frame by hand requires a frame perfect timing, which is impossible to trigger consistently
RECOVERY RANDOM = the dummy will choose between ON and OFF randomly at each knockdown

IDLE FRAMES WHILE LYING ON THE GROUND:
- a character will lie on the floor for 120 frames before automatically rising if no Rise has been executed by the player. The 1st frame of such animation can't be prevented. Only the the Training Dummy can start a Rise animation after that 1st frame. After frame 2 up to frame 120, a player can cancel to a Rise animation of choice
- if you only input directions and no buttons to Rise, you can only Back/Forward/Neutral Rise and no Up/Down
- pressing a direction instead of a button will Rise you after 20 frames (but you still can't surpass frame 120)
- pressing a button to Rise will Rise you immediately on the next frame, no input delay will occur
- if no direction is being detected as "held" until the very last frame of a Rise, Neutral Rise will happen. For example, quickly tapping Back twice will still actually Neutral Rise
- what happens when you're being hit with a Ground Strike after its hitstun animation ends: a shorter version (21 frames) of the previously-explained 120 frames long animation will start with the same cancelling system

ABOUT RISING KICKS:
- you can't do a Rising Kick after a Tech Roll
- there are two types of universal Rising Kicks: mid kick and low kick. The frame data of the kicks ALONE is 18(4)18 and 17(4)18 (the low one is 1 frame faster on startup). But you can't just wakeup kick immediately, you have to rise and then cancel that rise animation into the kick animation, which makes the timing variable since there are so many different wake up timings.
Let's say we want to WUK like this...
Face Down & Head to Foe + Neutral Rise + Low Kick
The formula to estabilish the frame data of that kick will be:
(24-9) + 17 = 32 startup, 4 active, 18 recovery... which by the way, it's the fastest possible wake up kick you can get.
- @MATSUKAZE compiled a list containing the Reach of Rising Kicks for all characters:
to do a whiff punish with some moves with bad range but good stun, dmaage,...you need to are at the right place so i did this list when i saw all character are not equal with rsing kick range....
This list help me also to know where i need to be to be at the range where no rising kick can touch me ;)
RKL : rising kick low
RKM : rising kick middle
These range are based on a normal rise (without roll on side or back, forward )
range-all-rkm-rkl-jpg.21645

RISING SOCD GLITCHES:
Abusing Simultaneous Opposite Cardinal Directions makes the game behave erratically in numerous ways (at least on PC using a Keyboard), and Rises are affected by this too. Some examples:
- Up+Down+HHHH will always Up Rise, even though pressing Up+Down+P while standing will execute a low punch (2P)... during the character's idle pose
- Back+Forward+HHHH will always Forward Rise, no matter if you're on the left or right side of the screen

SOME PRACTICAL USES:
- knowing that Neutral Rises are the fastest, you can wake up strike more efficiently by giving your opponent less time to react to your Rises (for example, Ein Neutral Rise > 46P)
- varying your own Rising directions against players who attempt to Hold your Rising Kicks on the last Active Frames of their Holds (thus making them slightly safer) could beat their Hold attempts since you are actually delaying your Rising Kicks by a few frames and (potentially) hitting them on their Recovery
- stalling matches by a few seconds. 120 frames of lying animation are 2 seconds which can end up in an invincible Back Rise animation which lasts another (invincible) half second

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
- for more info about this mechanic, such as character-specific Rises, play the in-game Tutorial Lesson 10
- everything was tested on DOA5LR PC Ver.1.07

Last edited:

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
It is a very good recap of rising kick stuff :)
I just want share this with you,, its a personal list of all range of rising kick i made this list when i base my training on whiff punish of rising kick (it was in 2015 so maybe with recent maj range change,...)
to do a whiff punish with some moves with bad range but good stun, dmaage,...you need to are at the right place so i did this list when i saw all character are not equal with rsing kick range....
This list help me also to know where i need to be to be at the range where no rising kick can touch me ;) (because we cant do rising kick with forward roll)

Also an personal observation, i saw we cant do a rising kick when we roll on the forward is it right ?
RANGE - ALL RKM - RKL.jpg

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
Maybe its can be interresting to speak about force tech too...because its a kind of rising mechanic...but maybe we can speak about this in the part "aditionnal information"

WAZAAAAA

It is a very good recap of rising kick stuff :)
I just want share this with you,, its a personal list of all range of rising kick i made this list when i base my training on whiff punish of rising kick (it was in 2015 so maybe with recent maj range change,...)
This list help me also to know where i need to be to be at the range where no rising kick can touch me ;) (because we cant do rising kick with forward roll)

Also an personal observation, i saw we cant do a rising kick when we roll on the forward is it right ?
View attachment 21645
Good job with the picture, I will add it to the first post.
But you actually CAN Forward Rise > Rising Kick and increase the range! Only Back Rises can't be followed by Rising Kicks. This is why the range of Rising Kicks can be pretty unpredictable.

Maybe its can be interresting to speak about force tech too...because its a kind of rising mechanic...but maybe we can speak about this in the part "aditionnal information"
Well I have already mentioned some stuff about it try Ctrl+F "tech". I'll add the duration of the "standard" Tech Roll animation to the first post, the one caused by Ein's 236P.

No face down, ass up?
huehue

Last edited:

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
I cant see for the moment (because here i dont have ps4) if we can do rising kick with forward rise, i trust you :) but if we can we need to be more speed right ?

I want know something else, because i love doa5lr for all stage and their influence in the match, if we do some roll in some specific situation we cant go to the back of the opponent did you see some situation like that before ?
I will try to search thse situation to show you what i saw ;)

WAZAAAAA

I cant see for the moment (because here i dont have ps4) if we can do rising kick with forward rise, i trust you :) but if we can we need to be more speed right ?

I want know something else, because i love doa5lr for all stage and their influence in the match, if we do some roll in some specific situation we cant go to the back of the opponent did you see some situation like that before ?
I will try to search thse situation to show you what i saw ;)
I assume you wrote your post using a computer, so you can always download DOA5LR for PC and test stuff there.

Hayabusa has some funny ways to get behind the enemy.
Try this: 3H+K to knock the opponent down and then 3P+KP+K (teleport has to be done on the first possible frame). Hayabusa will Force Get Up and then teleport to the back of his opponent where he can get a guaranteed 6P. MASTER regularly does this.

Again with Hayabusa, I've tried some stuff with his Ongjyoin 66 teleport against a Back tech rolling launched opponent, but his teleports are too slow (even against Alpha) or they don't really put you to the back of the opponent. Maybe Hayate can do something better.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD