"Did you enjoy my full course of technique" - Leifang General Strategy Thread

Lobo

So the game has been out a week, lets talk some Leifang strats. First off, I'm no pro, but I have mained her since DOA2U, so I have nearly a decade of experience with her. So without further ado, lets get talking about the Tai Chi Quan Genius.

*note: I'll be looking for feedback from other Lei vets, and will be updating this post with any good stuff you guys find.

First off, I'll start with some of her changes from DOA4. Bad news first. Fortunately, Lei avoided the nerf bat for the most part.

Nerfs
- removed the last :6::P: from the string :P::P::6::P::K::6::P:. Not really too bad of a loss, the move wasn't all the great anyways. Just no more silly "will i finish it, or not" mixups. She still has :6::P::K::6::P: though.

- lost her :P::P::4::P::P::P: string. This string was useful for a little extra damage in combos. Also, with some of Lei's tools from BT, the loss of :P::P::4::P: kind of hurts. She literally only has :7::K: (which sucks) and :4::P: to reliably get into BT.

- lost the :P: follow-up to her :6::H+K: , :8::K::K:. Although, I don't really think of this as a nerf, because :6::H+K: and :8::K::K: are safe guardbreaks now, so the :P: followup is kind of unnecssary.

- :3::K: Her :3::K::P: got changed to :3::K::P+K:. No issue here, except for those who rely on muscle memory (like me) and forget to press :P+K:. The real problem with :3::K: now is that she lost the :4::P: follow up. In DOA4 :6::4::P: and :3::K::4::P: were some of Leifang's only safe moves. Now with :6::4::P: being a feint stun, :3::K::4::P: would've been an amazing move in this game. Unfortunately, Team Ninja didn't agree

Also, not really a nerf, but if you use back(:4:) to block like I used to, and you want to learn to play Leifang, you might want to pick of the habit of using hold(:h: ) to block. I'll explain why later when I'm talking about her parry stance.

Buffs

Lei got a few new moves that can really add to her game, plus a few changes to her older moves to have better properties.

New Moves
- :3::P::2::K:, :P::P::2::K:, (unshu) :2::K:

One of Leifang's best move in DOA4, :2::H+K: , is back with a vengance in DOA5 with 3 new moves that use it as a follow up, and 5 all together if you count :1::K::K: and :2::H+K: by itself.

:2::H+K: returns as Lei's signature loooong range low poke, and now with Lei advancing about a character length from :3::P:, she can basically get a nice stun from about 4 character lengths away off a low, in one of her best new moves; :3::P::2::K:

:P::P::2::K: is not technically new, but it was not in DOA4. Mixups off jabs are always hard to deal with, and Lei's :P::P: mixup has gotten so much better now that :P::P::2::K: is back, instead of DOA4's crappy :P::P::2::K::K: that you could see coming from miles away. Mix up her :P::P: with :P::P::P:/:P::P::6::P: (and their parry followups) and you have a very good high/mid/low mixup to start your offense.

- :3::P::4::P::P:(:4:)
Brand new move that adds a faster version of her :2::P+K::P: to her :3::P: string. 3 somewhat slow mid punches, so not so useful itself. However, the true beauty of this move is that :3::P: by itself gets so much better, as it makes people respect her :3::P::2::K:.

The :4::P: part of the string is one of Lei's few unholdable sit-down stuns. I've played around with this stun a little, and when setting stagger escape to fastest, nothing is guarenteed after, but on fast, I've had pretty good luck with :3::K::P+K:. Useful in combo extenders if you want an unholdable (but escapeable) way to CB. Also, each follow up is delayable as all hell, so you can really play with your opponents mind, even after finishing the whole string, because of the parry follow up. (Just be careful because the last P is -7 and throw punishable)

- more reserved stuff *I got a lot of stuff floating around in my head, so it might take a while to get it written all down.

Lobo

Useful Moves

This section is to talk about some of Lei's better moves. We'll start with crushes first. I feel like Leifang has always had one of the best crush games out of the entire cast (only second to Genfu imo, after Helena got nerfed). Nearly have her moveset crushes something. She laughs at highs, and has options against mids as well. If she can't crush a move, which most mids you can't, she has sabakis and parries to deal with those. Here's a list of them - credit goes out to NightAntilli for organizing these

Mid Crushes/Sabakis

:3::P+K: crushes some mids
- this move has some interesting properties that I can't really explain. It's unsafe as hell, so you definitely just don't want to throw it out at random. However, at close range when you are at disadvantage, or even in stun, try throwing this out. Chances are, you might get a free CH launch, or Hi-CH launch if they guessed you would try to counter out of a stun.

I can't explain the full details of this move, but I use this move to great effect as a panic move.

:6::6::K:(:K:)also crushes highs and some mids

:6::P+K: mid sabaki
:4::4::P: mid sabaki

:4::P+K: diverts all mid and high punches
:3::h: parries all mids

High Crushes/Sabakis

:1::P: one of the best high crushes in the game. Fast, decent range, and has a follow up :P: that you can delay forever if the first :1::P: gets blocked. Got even better in DOA5 because you can now input :4: afterwards to get into her parry stance, which works wonders against aggresive opponets who try to poke you out before the followup.

:2::H+K: (and all moves that have a :2::K: follow up, e.g. :3::P::2::K:)
Long range, hits low, crushes highs; still Lei's best move in my opinion. Got even better because you can do it off more moves now

:2::P: - low jab high crush
:3::P: can crush some highs
:1::K::P:, the punch can crush highs
:3::P+K:/:3::K::P+K: crush highs and some mids (mostly linear kicks)
:4::P: can crush highs
:4::6::P: - does a lot more than just crush highs because of its range and speed.
:2::3::6::P: Sabakis highs, also her CB

:9::h: parries all highs
:4::P+K: diverts high punches

Low Crushes

:6::H+K:/second hit of :8::K::K: - crushes lows
:9::K:(:K:)(:K:) crushes lows
:7::P: crushes lows as long as they're not too close (basically anything that whiffs her back leg)
:2::P+K:/(:3::P:):4::P: same properties as :7::P:, but with even stricter requirements on the range. Still useful though, because of the sit-down stun.

Unknown Properties

These are moves that have evasive properties, but more because of the SS system instead of the crush system. It's unknown exactly which moves these avoid, so use at your own risk.

:8::P: can beat out some moves but I haven't figured out which exactly. Only know about having use against high punches
:214::P: works almost like a sidestep, works best at mid range

Murakame

Hi I'm new to this game and wanted to pick up leifang as a secondary character. I heard she has alot of pokes that "crush" could you tell me what these are and what type of move they crush? I think her jab is a crush but I don't know what moves it beats.

NightAntilli

Leifang is a hard character to start out with. If you're sure you're up for it though, go for it xD So.. Let's see.

I don't think her jab is a crush... It's a normal jab like any other.
:6::P+K: is a mid sabaki
:4::4::P: is a mid sabaki
:6::6::K:(:K:) crushes highs and some mids
:3::P+K: and :3::K::P+K: crush highs and some mids (mostly linear kicks)
:8::P: can beat out some moves but I haven't figured out which exactly. Only know about having use against high punches
:7::P: crushes lows as long as they're not too close (basically anything that whiffs her back leg)
:6::H+K: crushes lows

I wonder if I forgot anything.

Murakame

Leifang is a hard character to start out with. If you're sure you're up for it though, go for it xD So.. Let's see.

I don't think her jab is a crush... It's a normal jab like any other.
:6::P+K: is a mid sabaki
:4::4::P: is a mid sabaki
:6::6::K:(:K:) crushes highs and some mids
:3::P+K: and :3::K::P+K: crush highs and some mids (mostly linear kicks)
:6::H+K: crushes lows

I wonder if I forgot anything.
lol sorry i might have assumed anything that is a hi counter strike is a crush. thanks for the list. are those all also recommended moves for her?

Einzelkind

Her sitdown stun :2::P+K: also has low crush properties similar to :7::P:. If I checked correctly :236::P: is guaranteed after the sitdown stun connects (won't neccessarily reach the CB threshold,though).

Oh, and :1::P+K: crushes the world of people who dare to use wake-up kicks against Leifang.

NightAntilli

I think that :4::6: :P: and :1::P: both crush highs.
Ah yeah forgot about those two. :1::P: crushes some mids as well. :4::6::P: evades pretty much everything because it also 'steps' back .

lol sorry i might have assumed anything that is a hi counter strike is a crush. thanks for the list. are those all also recommended moves for her?
Pretty much, except :3::P+K: and the :3::K: followup version, because it's really unsafe. I use almost all her moves in fights... They're all pretty useful in different ways. Some involve more risk than others obviously, and some are mainly used for juggles.

Her sitdown stun :2::P+K: also has low crush properties similar to :7::P:. If I checked correctly :236::P: is guaranteed after the sitdown stun connects (won't neccessarily reach the CB threshold,though).

Oh, and :1::P+K: crushes the world of people who dare to use wake-up kicks against Leifang.
I didn't know about :2::P+K:. But uh.. :236::P: is not guaranteed after a sit down if they slow escape. If you set the cpu to escape staggers it reduces your advantage from to +17 from... Don't remember what it was.. +25 I believe? In any case, I'm pretty sure :236::P: is an 18i frame move so it makes it blockable.

Einzelkind

I didn't know about :2::P+K:. But uh.. :236::P: is not guaranteed after a sit down if they slow escape. If you set the cpu to escape staggers it reduces your advantage from to +17 from... Don't remember what it was.. +25 I believe? In any case, I'm pretty sure :236::P: is an 18i frame move so it makes it blockable.

Oh, you're right. My bad. I didn't use the right settings. It's holdable as well. Off to look for something guaranteed then.

Lobo

Updated the post with useful moves with NightAntilli's input and added crushes. Good shit man. Also switched over to emoticons in the first post to make it easier on the eyes.

edit: scratch that, technical difficulties made everything i did for the past 30 min on night's post go poof, so that was a huge waste of time. will try again later once i calm down from my rage.

Finally updated the 3rd post with night's info, after having to write it all again a second time.

Added :1::P:, :2::P:, :2::H+K: and :2::3::6::P: to the high crush section.

Added :2::P+K:/(:3::P:):4::P: to the low crush section

Lobo

Pretty much, except :3::P+K:

I disagree, :3::P+K: is one of my favorite moves to use, especially when I'm under pressure. We should play some time, and you will see me constantly abuse this move in what I call panic situations.

It does wonders in stuns too, especially against grapple chars who like to go for grabs instead of launchers. Try mashing directions and then immediately :3::P+K:, its like a slow escape where you end up getting a free launch.

Jooj

I disagree, :3::P+K: is one of my favorite moves to use, especially when I'm under pressure. We should play some time, and you will see me constantly abuse this move in what I call panic situations.

It does wonders in stuns too, especially against grapple chars who like to go for grabs instead of launchers. Try mashing directions and then immediately :P+K::3:, its like a slow escape where you end up getting a free launch.

Why using :3::P+K: when :4::6::P: exists ? This is so fast and powerful (60 in close range, 60 without the wall ! That's amazing).
Other thing : I'm really disappointed about her parry after a string. :P::P::P::4: never catch the Punch of my opponment that attack directly after guarding the string. I supposed that was the only purpose of these stance transitions.

NightAntilli

It does wonders in stuns too, especially against grapple chars who like to go for grabs instead of launchers. Try mashing directions and then immediately :3::P+K:, its like a slow escape where you end up getting a free launch.
Oh I use it too. I usually bait a close range attack from the opponent, be it high or mid, and use that for an immediate launcher. It's just not recommended to use it randomly, and beginning players shouldn't be messing around with it too much. It's still a very risky move, even though it's good.

Why using :3::P+K: when :4::6::P: exists ? This is so fast and powerful (60 in close range, 60 without the wall ! That's amazing).
Other thing : I'm really disappointed about her parry after a string. :P::P::P::4: never catch the Punch of my opponment that attack directly after guarding the string. I supposed that was the only purpose of these stance transitions.
Hm it does for me. You simply have to not use one of the attacks from it, because the attacks cancel the parry. Of course, they can grab you, so, mixing it up is a good idea...
As for :4::6::P:, I use it in different situations than :3::P+K:. It's kind of hard to explain when I use which lol. But :3::P+K: has the advantage that people can't hold it, as in, it's sidestepped instead. You would still be at a big disadvantage, but usually that's better than being hold, like an Izuna drop for example. And :3::P+K: has potential for more damage than :4::6::P:.

Einzelkind

The problem I noticed with :3::P+K: is that it's much harder for Leifang to get out of backturned now if it's blocked. The removal of the :6: :4: :P: ender after :3: :K: also hurts. But that guaranteed combo after her mid kick holds is a godsend, that will make people think twice before throwing out mid kicks randomly. And if they use punches instead she has her parry.

NightAntilli

Yeah it's -15 now. It used to be -7. Which is why I think it's so risky. BT -15 can give your opponent some crazy damage on you for free.

Dallas1088

I didn't see a Lei Fang combo thread yet, so I was wondering if you guys knew how she works her "faint" stun into her strings? What's the best launcher for it? I was experimenting around and found this little setup:

4P, 2PP, 64P, P+K, PKK2K which does 90pts of damage, but I'm not sure if she has a lot of options for launching someone after a Faint stun :-/

Lobo

I didn't see a Lei Fang combo thread yet, so I was wondering if you guys knew how she works her "faint" stun into her strings? What's the best launcher for it? I was experimenting around and found this little setup:

4P, 2PP, 64P, P+K, PKK2K which does 90pts of damage, but I'm not sure if she has a lot of options for launching someone after a Faint stun :-/

I was planning on adding a combo section, but have been pretty busy so haven't really got a chance to get around to it yet. For that combo you posted, be wary of using PKK2K as your combo ender. In most cases, if you set the computer to recover, the last hit whiffs.

She actually doesn't have to many followups to her feint stun, because they fall so fast. However, 66K works, you just have to do it really fast. So for your combo it would look like this:

4P, (BT) 2PP, 64P, 66K, 9KK, 3PP6PP for 103pts

However, if you were really looking for guaranteed damage, 4P is actually one of her better moves because you can do her BT P+K after. You get a sit-down stun into an unholdable CB if they don't slow escape.

4P, (BT) P+K, 236P (CB), 8K, 9KK, 3PP6PP for 106pts and unholdable after the second hit.

Mix it up with 2PP or this combo [4P, (BT) 4K, 3PP6PP - 61pts] after 4P to keep them honest about holding the BT P+K.

Dallas1088

I was planning on adding a combo section, but have been pretty busy so haven't really got a chance to get around to it yet. For that combo you posted, be wary of using PKK2K as your combo ender. In most cases, if you set the computer to recover, the last hit whiffs.

She actually doesn't have to many followups to her feint stun, because they fall so fast. However, 66K works, you just have to do it really fast. So for your combo it would look like this:

4P, (BT) 2PP, 64P, 66K, 9KK, 3PP6PP for 103pts

However, if you were really looking for guaranteed damage, 4P is actually one of her better moves because you can do her BT P+K after. You get a sit-down stun into an unholdable CB if they don't slow escape.

4P, (BT) P+K, 236P (CB), 8K, 9KK, 3PP6PP for 106pts and unholdable after the second hit.

Mix it up with 2PP or this combo [4P, (BT) 4K, 3PP6PP - 61pts] after 4P to keep them honest about holding the BT P+K.

Good to know, thanks a lot! :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD