DOA is so underrated.

LeiFang009

I'm fairly new DOA player. This game isn't even included in EVO which is a huge shame imo. I tried so many fighting games in the past and Tekken 5 and 7 always been at the top for me gameplay-wise. But honestly now, I can say that DOA 6's gameplay surpasses anything I've played before which is why I feel this fighting game is so underrated compared to Tekken and Street Fighter and some other fighting games. I guess it's probably because people can't take it seriously due to oversexualized female characters but that's such unfair/BS excuse to underrate the genius game-play of the game. And it's not like the female characters in other fighting games aren't oversexualized...

DOA 6's gameplay is the best fighting experience for me so far (slightly above Tekken 7's. Both are amazing). Tekken 7 has the advantage in character designs imo but DOA 6's graphics and battlegrounds are much better. Not to mention DOA provide much better tutorials/frame data info. The only real bad thing now about DOA 6 is the lack of lobbies online but hopefully they come soon. There is no excuse for that.

One little thing that would make DOA 6 perfect gameplay-wise is the slow-motion feature that is in Tekken 7. It's such a genius idea that worked so damn well in Tekken 7. Adds so much hype to matches. In any case, I hope DOA 6 won't be the last game in the series because I want this game to stay alive in the future and enjoy it's beautiful game-play. But yeah, quite underrated fighting game unfortunately.

Kasumi-Phase-X

The only time DOA had its main spot on EVO was in 2006 with DOA4, afterwards DOA never has a main spot on EVO at all. From what I've heard from Force_of_Nature back in 2015 when I returned from EVO for DOA5LR side tournament is that EVO members hate DOA or have a beef with the title after what happen in EVO when DOA4 had its main spot (for what happen, it wasn't explained):

Date: Jul 26, 2015 #39

https://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-success-of-evolution-2015.5844/page-2

The only spots DOA ever gets is side tournaments (which is better than nothing), the only 3D fighters that get their spot is mainly published by Bandai Namco mainly Tekken and sometimes Soulcalibur. Even Tekken 7 Arcade release (which is mainly available in Asian regions, and few select arcades in US) which is a game that not everyone has the game became EVO main spot, while DOA5LR gets a side tournament in EVO15 & EVO18 (in time for DOA6 announcement), and EVO16 & EVO17 had no spot in EVO.

The sexy female characters was one of the main reason that attracted to Me to the DOA series as a whole from seeing magazine ads from DOA: Ultimate to DOAX2 from middle school age, to renting DOA2: Hardcore on the PS2 release. I definitely enjoyed the gameplay from the DOA games, even spending time with command training to learning & improving My fighting skill. When DOA5LR was having a side tournament in EVO15, I've start going to tournaments from EVO, and even NEC. Despite if My chances of getting to top is very low when it comes to fighting other opponents. But hey fighting game tournaments usually has interesting stuff going on which are mainly good times.

Dr PaC

Until people actually try the game out and give it a fair shot, DOA will always be the “red-headed” step child of the FGC. Our community is used to it at this point but it’s nice to hear a Tekken fan say something nice about the game. I like both tbh, but DOA always had the top spot for me since DOA2 on the Dreamcast

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Until people actually try the game out and give it a fair shot, DOA will always be the “red-headed” step child of the FGC. Our community is used to it at this point but it’s nice to hear a Tekken fan say something nice about the game. I like both tbh, but DOA always had the top spot for me since DOA2 on the Dreamcast

Not necessarily, a lot of people try DOA out for the equivalent of like 10 minutes, have no idea what the hell they're doing, get bodied in their matches then blame the game for their sucking. This is despite the fact that the issue revolves around the fact that DOA is complex, very complex, complex to the point that most people playing won't know what the hell they're doing. What is needed more is a way to educate the FGC on DOA, while maintaining a reasonable composure and degree of respect for the game. I.e. Productive informational and tutorial materials.

DOA is also an acquired taste as a FG so if the player is used to other FG's, DOA will appear very foreign to them. It is paramount, that these players approach DOA with the proper mindset or they'll only encounter exasperation and frustration. TN has done a fantastic job with DOA6's tutorial features, and skill info Move Details, so it's up to the DOA community to expand on that and further educate the FGC and potential suitors of DOA6. If people are interested, cultivate that.

Dr PaC

Not necessarily, a lot of people try DOA out for the equivalent of like 10 minutes, have no idea what the hell they're doing, get bodied in their matches then blame the game for their sucking. This is despite the fact that the issue revolves around the fact that DOA is complex, very complex, complex to the point that most people playing won't know what the hell they're doing. What is needed more is a way to educate the FGC on DOA, while maintaining a reasonable composure and degree of respect for the game. I.e. Productive informational and tutorial materials.

DOA is also an acquired taste as a FG so if the player is used to other FG's, DOA will appear very foreign to them. It is paramount, that these players approach DOA with the proper mindset or they'll only encounter exasperation and frustration. TN has done a fantastic job with DOA6's tutorial features, and skill info Move Details, so it's up to the DOA community to expand on that and further educate the FGC and potential suitors of DOA6. If people are interested, cultivate that.
I agree. It took a minute but I convinced a SF friend of mine to try the game out and after a detailed explanation of how DOA's mechanics worked and how its vastly different from other fighters, he downloaded CORE FIGHTERS and from there he ended up loving the game and eventually buying it. It took some handholding in the beginning but he got in the mindset of how the triangle system worked and saw it was far deeper than just mashing. I think your explanation from yesterday was spot on

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD