DOA1 Arcade Ver Guide - "Gamest Mook Vol 57"

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Here's a blast from the past for ya'll - a guide for the original Model 2 arcade version of Dead or Alive entitled: Video Game Magazine Gamest Mook Vol. 57 - Dead or Alive (121MB PDF).

It includes move lists, combo suggestions, backstories, frame data, concept art and a nice sized interview with the original team. Please keep in mind that this is a Japanese guide from the 90s and it reads right to left! This is also the very first DOA guide (as far as I'm aware) and I'll be putting up more archival items such as this going forward but how appropriate to be my first scan.

mook57icon.jpg 10icon.jpg 23icon.jpg 58icon.jpg 82icon.jpg 86icon.jpg

Update! All the Japanese DOA1 guides are now available!

Last edited:

Darkslay

Brings me back, there's concept art here i hadn't even seen before!

I'm also amazed there wasn't a mention of Jann Lee's 6K 46K in DOA1, not even in in-game command lists, it was always a hidden move somehow.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Thanks!. Can you do this with other guides?.
I have almost every single Japanese DOA guide (barring DOA2) - do you have a specific request? I have three more Japanese DOA1 guides (two Sega Saturn and one Playstation) that I'm planning on getting done shortly. If it weren't for all the technical difficulties I'm having with the Japanese OCR data not playing nice with my PDF software, they'd all be up already. (I spent all day yesterday working on it before I gave up and posted what I had, lol.)

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor

Kasumi

Thanks grap3fruiteman. More than anything I'm interested in the artwork/concept they put in the guides. Will be awesome if you can do the rest of the guides if you have time to do it, not right know of course, is plenty of work.

HHH816

how they came up with the up with the name bayman. maybe that his ring name. his real name is baykov manovkovski. ok i made it up

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Will be awesome if you can do the rest of the guides
I think I have two DOA3 guides I'd be willing to rip up and scan. They don't have too much concept art, some Hitomi stuff (was a blonde initially). I believe I also have every single DOA guide released since 2003/04 (so Team Ninja Freaks/DOAU and on) but those are basically still in as-new condition and I'm a little more reluctant to rip those up for that reason.

Thanks so much for the great disposability in sharing your owned guides @grap3fruitman
I've been sitting on these things years for years and no one's coming over to check them out so I did the next best thing.

how they came up with the up with the name bayman. maybe that his ring name. his real name is baykov manovkovski. ok i made it up
I think they talk about it in one of the guides actually - they have a segment of concept art of him emerging from a bay in a frog-esque suit (precursor to the Scuba Steve suit) so thus the "bay" man. I think it started out as a joke but I can't actually read the text to confirm but that's how I'm interpreting it. Code name initially was Gatsby, Itagaki confirmed that on Facebook and I mentioned it on these forums a while back; it's how he's listed in the sound test, simple as that. Same for "Loo" aka Jann Lee and a lot of Zack's sound effects still reference Kelly/Kerry.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
There's also a hypothesis that Bass' original name was supposed to be Buzz if you try to reinterpret the romanization of the Japanese pronunciation of the name.

Buzz Armstrong could be a reference to Bazz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong the two Apollo-11 astronauts in the 60s.

Bass Armstrong doesn't make sense since both are Scottish surnames. It's not uncommon, but in this case it doesn't fit.

Then again, this series does have a reputation for giving it's male characters silly names (Bass, Bayman, Rig).

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
There's also a hypothesis that Bass' original name was supposed to be Buzz if you try to reinterpret the romanization of the Japanese pronunciation of the name.

Buzz Armstrong could be a reference to Bazz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong the two Apollo-11 astronauts in the 60s.

Bass Armstrong doesn't make sense since both are Scottish surnames. It's not uncommon, but in this case it doesn't fit.

Then again, this series does have a reputation for giving it's male characters silly names (Bass, Bayman, Rig).

I always felt バース was a play off バス which is the katakana for a Bus: Slow but powerful.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD