DOA5 will not support DLC Characters

In an interview with Videogamer, Yosuke Hayashi and Yohei Shimbori commented on their thoughts in regard to Dead or Alive 5 utilizing downloadable content. Specifically, they had issue with the idea of downloadable characters and how allowing for such a downloadable content affects the rules of the game.

Additionally, in a separate article with Videogamer, Yosuke Hayahi and Yohei Shimbori discussed their ideas with the next generation ideas and online support for the title and future iterations.

Videogamer said:
Team Ninja has 'no plans' to sell additional characters for Dead or Alive 5.

23408_1_825fcb816f.jpg

Releasing additional characters as downloadable content for fighting games makes the game "unfair", Dead or Alive 5's developer Team Ninja has told VideoGamer, referring to Capcom's strategy of including additional 'downloadable' characters on-disc as not being "the right way to go".

"We don't feel that it's right for fighting games," Team Ninja boss Yosuke Hayashi told VideoGamer when asked for his opinion on on-disc DLC during E3.

"We feel like this is a kind of sport, and you don't change the rules for sports. Everybody plays by the same rules. You don't have a 14-player soccer game versus an 11-player soccer game. That's just not fair.

"It's a similar thing to if certain people have all these characters and others don't. It makes it an unfair game, and we don't think that's the right way to go for fighting games.

"We have no plans to sell characters as downloadable content."

As well as making the game unfair, Hayashi believes that releasing additional characters makes balancing the game even harder, something that's "already very difficult to get right".

"Balance is extremely important, and it's also very hard to do," he continued.

"Even with over 20 characters that's still a real challenge. If we had 50, how much more time would need to balance the game? It gets that much harder to get it right, and it's already very difficult to get right."

Capcom has repeatedly come under fire from consumers for including characters on disc that are later unlocked via premium DLC. Last month, the firm said that it was "re-evaluating" its stance on on-disc DLC.

---

Dead or Alive 5 developer drops hints at enhanced online functionality for next-gen.

Team Ninja has already started "experimenting with a few things" intended for next-gen hardware, the studio has told VideoGamer.

While discussing additional opportunities that the next generation of consoles may offer to its Dead or Alive series, DoA5's producer Yohei Shimbori told us that "there are lots of things that [Team Ninja] would love to do on new hardware.

"There are plenty of things both graphically and within the core system of a fighting game that we can't do with current hardware that we're really looking forward to doing in the future.

"If we tell you [what they are] now then you won't have anything to look forward to in the future! But we can tell you that it's something that's not in [Dead or Alive 5]."

Shimbori suggested that future hardware could offer significant improvements to the series online experience, and envisages an online lobby similar to "everybody throughout the world being in the same arcade".

"Online, there are plenty of things that we're looking forward to," he continued.

"Right now you have a matching system and lobbies where people can gather, but the number of people that gather there is limited. We would like to see everybody in the world able to come together and fight online, like everybody throughout the world being in the same arcade.

"We're experimenting with a few things right now, but we'll leave it at that."

Shimbori added that he felt that "the environment for fighting games has changed", acknowledging that the genre has "been accepted into a sport".

"We've put a lot of effort into online [in Dead or Alive 5], he continued. "Now every fighter has online capabilities and it's very common that players can have that kind of communication. We've also seen the rise of pro gamers where fighting games have been accepted as a sport."

Dead or Alive 5 launches on Xbox 360 and PS3 in September. It'll be the first game to launch in the series in seven years.

Source: Videogamer, Videogamer

The Tekken dude said the same thing about not having characters as DLC and they did it anyway (if you don't preorder TT2 you have to wait a few months to use the DLC characters). And since they're already cutting costumes, I don't see this ending well for the consumer. But it is exciting to imagine a next-gen DOA.

The Tekken dude said the same thing about not having characters as DLC and they did it anyway (if you don't preorder TT2 you have to wait a few months to use the DLC characters). And since they're already cutting costumes, I don't see this ending well for the consumer. But it is exciting to imagine a next-gen DOA.

Actually, I believe his issue was with paid DLC. The characters are being given out for free.

Furthermore, I don't think it's been said if the TTT2 preorder bonus chars will be actual DLC, or just glorified unlock codes for content you can unlock normally in the game. Even if it is time release, it still wouldn't be that bad, compared to what else is out there...

The only thing that I agree with in case of a fighting game as DLC is costumes for characters, or out of context items such as avatars for DOA4 style lobbies and such things. but anything that affects the fighting experience such as characters and stages should be in the complete package.

Sounds like Ein and Tengu fans/players need to pray they're playable on the disc... and pray hard.

Interesting. I don't really care for DLC, never did, but that's just me. I really hope Ein will return though, I have been growing more fond of him than I used to lately.

The Tekken DLC is free, which is nice, but remember back in the day when YOU unlocked characters instead of waiting for a company to do it?

My main point is that these "no DLC plans" comments are not be taken seriously. Deverloper says one thing, publisher says nuh-uh. It's happened with so many series, from Katamari to Call of Duty.

The Tekken DLC is free, which is nice, but remember back in the day when YOU unlocked characters instead of waiting for a company to do it?

My main point is that these "no DLC plans" comments are not be taken seriously. Deverloper says one thing, publisher says nuh-uh. It's happened with so many series, from Katamari to Call of Duty.

But in this case, the developer and publisher are one in the same. Not to mention the fact that Tecmo hasn't done a lot of DLC for their games.

That said, I understand where Hayashi is coming from when he mentions the balancing side of the game. DLC in fighting games should be limited to "frivilous" things (like costumes, avatar stuff and the like) and not advance towards characters and stages.

I find it interesting that the actual quote from TN is "We have no plans to sell characters as downloadable content" and not that they will not release them at all. Either things are being misinterpreted or part of the interview didn't make it to the article. Sounds to me like they simply don't plan on selling DLC characters but may release them for free. Word choice is pretty important.

Could go either way at this point but to me that sounds like a non-answer. We know there will be paid DLC but the only thing they've said is that we won't have to pay for characters. Publisher could step in and change all that, though.

I think the fact people are retweeting it could send the message across to Team NINJA, and either they'll clarify or change their course should they be thinking of Character DLC.

Personally, I don't think that Characters should be DLC. Maaaaaybe stages, but characters no.

I wouldn't mind an "upgrade pack" like SSF4: Arcade Edition if it came out a year or two later that included system changes and characters. It would be better than waiting another 7 years.

Could go either way at this point but to me that sounds like a non-answer. We know there will be paid DLC but the only thing they've said is that we won't have to pay for characters. Publisher could step in and change all that, though.

Considering Team NINJA just tweeted this page, I'd say that it went one way ;).

Did they tweet saying anything or just quoting the article? Publisher is going to get the final word anyway.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD