DOA5U DoA5U DLC is getting a bad rap on Xbox 360 store, says GameInformer.

Tomi-Koko

So im a long time DoA fanatic, been loving the series ever since 3 on the OG Xbox..Now whenever new DLC gets released for DoA5 Ultimate I buy the savings bundle no questions. I feel i have to support the franchise even if the outfits are not that great "There have been alot of those" I still buy to hep out and to keep more coming for all the fans. But it seems friends, that the overall Xbox store community does not like DoA clogging up the store front..

Im going to post the pic from the latest issue of GameInformers monthly magazine...Mind you this may be the only mention DoA has gotten in this mag for at least a year or more. So i want to know, what do you guys think of this???

20141006_231024.jpg
20141006_231024.jpg

Last edited:

David Gregg

I mean it really shouldn't be a shocker that a company releasing constant fetish wear for their females would rub people the wrong way. But like you said this was probably the only mention GameInformers made for DOA in over a year so clearly they could care less about the game (i.e. their opinion is meaningless to me).

I didn't pick either option btw. I'm indifferent to the fetish DLC. I personally don't buy them but I understand that it does bring in income to TN b/c people are still clearly buying it.

Squizzo

Pfft... Whatever. Westerners get way too worked up over a bit of cleavage, but couldn't care less about about excessive violence. For the longest time Dead Island dlc was clogging up my queue with an image of a bunch of haggard, blood covered zombies and a logo featuring a dude hanging from a tree written in blood.
dead_island_uk_pc.jpg
This is perfectly normal, yet god forbid you should see a bit of cleavage. Not that I personally care about violence, but the double standard does annoy me.

Chapstick

I forgot to comment on this-

"Hopefully there aren't enough perverts to keep Team Ninja's current business model afloat much longer"

It's their current business model because it works so well
Pfft... Whatever. Westerners get way too worked up over a bit of cleavage, but couldn't care less about about excessive violence. For the longest time Dead Island dlc was clogging up my queue with an image of a bunch of haggard, blood covered zombies and a logo featuring a dude hanging from a tree written in blood.
dead_island_uk_pc.jpg
This is perfectly normal, yet god forbid you should see a bit of cleavage. Not that I personally care about violence, but the double standard does annoy me.
I get what you're saying but this isn't a little bit of cleavage we're talking about. *whips out the Lisa Artemis screenshot for the 1000th time*

Nereus

Standard Donor

The problem isn't that they're showing a bit of cleavage, the problem is that they're showing TOO MUCH cleavage. Majority of these outfits are just unoriginal fetish garbage, hell... they sold us bath towel costumes LMAO. Honestly, you can't really defend Team NINJA for this nonsense. This is a fighting game.. not soft-core. Yeah they show a bit of cleavage on chun-li.. but is she in a bath towel? Nope...

I agree with the author of this article, im getting sick of these outfits and it's making this game harder and harder to be recognized as a legit fighting game. They said that they were going to tone down the girls.. but this isn't "Toned Down"

Squizzo

I get what you're saying but this isn't a little bit of cleavage we're talking about. *whips out the Lisa Artemis screenshot for the 1000th time*
It shouldn't matter if they are butt ass naked, it's still a lot less fucked up than showing showing decapitations and the like, yet showing just half a nipple will get you a higher age rating. Just look at Mortal Kombat for the amount of ludicrous violence you can get away with and nobody says a word. But GTA has a crudely rendered sex scene and the whole gaming community flips their collective nuts.
To quote Jack Nicholson "If you suck on a tit the movie gets an R rating. If you hack the tit off with an axe it will be PG-13".

Chapstick

Just look at Mortal Kombat for the amount of ludicrous violence you can get away with and nobody says a word. But GTA has a crudely rendered sex scene and the whole gaming community flips their collective nuts.
MK9 was banned in Australia for its amount of violence, wasn't it? Also GTA has been the face of the BS "violent games make people violent" argument forever.

Nereus

Standard Donor
MK9 was banned in Australia for its amount of violence, wasn't it? Also GTA has been the face of the BS "violent games make people violent" argument forever.
For awhile it was... but they decided to not ban it a few years ago iirc

Darkton93

I definitely think TN is getting out of hand with its DLC. I can't help but wonder if the Costume Contests were basically, "We've run out of ideas! Help us think of something!" After all, with the exception of the Halloween pack, the DLC for this year has been entirely fetish-based. With yet another set of Bikinis, gym outfits, and FUCKING TOWELS. I've supported them when they've done right, like with Ayane's DOA4 C4 coming back, but at some point, you have to stop. I only bought select DLC from select packs, like Kasumi's nurse because it was from DOA1, Nyotengu's Santa because it looks good, but that's it. I want to buy Tina's bunny, and they do look more presentable than the ones included with the game, but I don't want to send the message this is acceptable.

As long as people only like the game because she kicks high, then DOA will be considered a joke, and this kind of thing will persist. If the sales on these packs had a sharp drop, then it might send the message that this kind of thing is unacceptable. Hence I won't be buying these fetish packs in full, and place my money to other packs. I just recently bought the schoolgirl pack, for example, because there was a bit of effort put in. Every character in the pack got something unique, and it differentiated between the students and the teachers. Helena's headmistress outfit still looks good, as does Christie's gym teacher outfit. Contrast that with the Gym Student Pack. Every single outfit is the same. At some point, you just have to stop. I didn't buy the Nyotengu with costume DLC pack, for example, even if I bought the others because I didn't see anything worthwhile. So if you want this kind of thing to stop, don't support it.

indieanimator

I remember discussing this article on GameFAQs a while back. Is this the first time this has been posted here?
Yeah, the amount of DLC is a bit crazy. If it's a problem, a limit could be established for a game's DLC.
But GI's response indicates they don't care much about DOA5U's reputation/sales. Gaming magazines don't usually get that harsh with companies (I think). Guess they aren't being paid to run any ads for them. 0.0

Tomi-Koko

I dont want to start a argument here, but DoA is really a niche title even for a fighting game. The greater video game community doesn't even know much about it or even that its still current. We all know different, trust us if it was only about eye candy and sexy outfits after the second game we would have been long gone and on to something else.

Now im not telling anyone to buy anything they dont agree with but think about this if you can...DoA needs our support if it is to grow, its a fighting game and not a very liked one according to GI lol Its not a racing or FPS game, they cannot release carpacks and tracks or guns and maps to gage interest for investors to show that this franchise is a profit for them. Not to mention just revenue for themselves so they can keep making the game we love.

So for me i will pay and i will keep paying as long as i can afford it, I happen to love the costumes. This is my top game after all and i want us all to enjoy this as long as we can and i want TN to be compensated for there hard work and determination for keeping and reinventing DoA after we almost lost it when Itagaki left. I think they deserve some leeway and a little understanding to make a profit after doing that. I mean they convinced someone to green-light Last Round. So our DLC money isnt totally in vain:)

Last edited:

Martin

MK9 was banned because when it was released Australia still didn't have the R/18+ classification for video games. I think we finally got it last year, and we've had MK9 since then.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I can't help but wonder if the Costume Contests were basically, "We've run out of ideas! Help us think of something!"

Funny, to read that so often. XD Guys, Team Ninja has trained/studied, professional designers and concept artists among them. To work for such a well known game studio, these are also some of the best of the industry. These don't just run out of ideas. I'm also studying design/concept art, so, believe me.

It is also not Team Ninja, but the higher ups at Koei Tecmo, that demand Team Ninja to make all the bikini and fetish DLC to generate cash. TN has to comply, or no new Ninja Gaiden or Dead or Alive. And because it obviously brings in big revenue, more than they earn from copies of the actual game being sold, they won't stop that business model so soon. They are a company, not a charity organisation.

I dont want to start a argument here, but DoA is really a niche title even for a fighting game. The greater video game community doesn't even know much about it or that its still current.

Very true. A few days ago I stood before some design students (most of them are gamers) as an assistant docent and when my professor proudly mentioned, that I recently won a game design contest, I was of course asked, for which game and when I mentioned "Dead or Alive", nobody had a clue. When I said, it's a game like "Tekken" and "Virtua Fighter" everyone one instantly knew. It was actually quite embarrasing. XD

Last edited:

Crisman

@Tyaren Wow, I thought DOA is well known. In my area a lot of people know about it but nobody plays it.
That's really cool you are a design student. Just by looking at your Eliot illustration you are knowledgable about color theory and proportions. I'm also studying to become a concept artist. What I want to learn is zbrush, have you ever try it?

Btw do you know anyone in this community that is an art student or concept artist?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD