DOA5U: Reintroducing just frames.. what if?

ScattereDreams

What if DOA5 Ultimate reintroduced just frame attacks? Well I don't really remember if DOA has ever really had true just frames outside of throws, holds, and chain throws.

Just frames are attacks that require you to input a command on a certain frame during a attack animation, or you may have a certain amount of frames to input a command. I guess I could call Kasumi's 6kk in DOA5 a Just Frame, doesn't have really strict timing but you are given very few frames to follow up with SDS kick. If you play any other 3D fighters (and some 2D games), then you maybe familiar with this (with the exception of KOFMI)

My idea is to give Just frame attacks special properties. For example... Revert the input of Hayate's 4k6k back to regular 4KK, and his new DOA5 4KK which is absolutely pointless, make it a just frame 4K:K. Some special properties (with quicker start up frames) would be a natural combo, causes a bounce in combo's, a bound on NH/CH (the new knock down animation in DOA5U that leaves the opponent in a juggle state), and true block string with +1 on block. Basically, the special properties is a way to reward players for being able to pull of just frames.

Another Example is Hayabusa's 3f+k/4pk
Master stated it's no longer a guard break, unsafe on block, and causes two hits meaning no longer can Hayabusa wall combo off 3F+K. For the just frame version, 4P:K, it could revert back to DOA5 vanilla properties.

People may not like the concept especially more casual players, because in terms of inputs and combo's DOA has always been pretty simple and not as complex as other fighters. It also could pose a problem online if the netcode is shitty. But It could add more depth.

David Gregg

I like this idea a lot actually. Kind of like the equivalent to a combo throw or hold. But I'm a little confused. Does that mean if you've hit the opponent with the first attack that the just frame follow up is guaranteed? If so then that would be amazing.

Ghosty-J

I could have sworn Christie has a JF attack with a throw follow up in 5, but yeah. I'm more than willing to welcome Just Frame attacks to DoA5. It's one of the big hooks for me when it came to Akira and Virtua Fighter as a whole. I find JFs really fun XD

David Gregg

Speaking of VF, is Akira's teishitsu dantai considered a just frame attack? I can pull it off maybe 1 out of 10 tries. Lol

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Speaking of VF, is Akira's teishitsu dantai considered a just frame attack? I can pull it off maybe 1 out of 10 tries. Lol

Oh yea. It's been that way since the first Virtua Fighter. Back then you had to do :6::6::H+K: and you had to release the :h: after one frame. I think Jacky's :6_::K::h: is also a just frame attack, but I'm not sure. Anyone wanna confirm this?

David Gregg

It also could pose a problem online if the netcode is shitty.

I mean honestly the shitty online poses a problem regardless (which is why there's a unanimous agreement that competitive play = offline mode) and JF's would be a great addition.

Props for this suggestion.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6365-1355938751-11.gif

Ghosty-J

Oh yea. It's been that way since the first Virtua Fighter. Back then you had to do :6::6::H+K: and you had to release the :h: after one frame. I think Jacky's :6_::K::h: is also a just frame attack, but I'm not sure. Anyone wanna confirm this?
Jacky's kick is indeed a Just Frame attack. It gives a short relaunch for juggles and the recovery is fast enough for you to follow up with almost whatever you want. Extremely useful for just about everything : P

Brute

Standard Donor
Why is it that everyone acts like Ryu's 3H+K is the same move as his 4PK/PP4PK in vanilla? I realize that according to Master both inputs will now execute the same (new) move, but that one is totally separate from both of the two original ones.

Totally different move, totally different animation, totally different frame properties.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
As a casual player I'm fine with it as long as the timing isn't too strict.i believe ive dealt with them before in the form of Goh and Sergie's grab-on-hiti know it's called something else but the principal is the same I think.i don't remember Sergies but Goh's I could do about 8/10 times not that hard but you did have to know you were doing it

DOA is the most accessible fighter out there IMO and I'd wish it to stay that way.

Raansu

DoA has just frames, its just the buffer system in the game makes them obnoxiously easy (compare Akira's knee in DoA to VF for example.)

Codemaster92163

DoA does indeed have just frames already.

Also, it would depend, I guess, on what you truly wish to define as a JF, but regardless of your definition, there is at least one. At the risk of sounding like a broken record by now, Pai's 46H+K used on a specific frame grants a superior bounce that gives her higher damage potential.
If you mean strictly input frames, as in you must hit the buttons themselves at a particular moment, yeah, they sort of have those. Akira's Kick being 1 frame is a lie, though. Either due to buffering or just because it is, there's another frame or so to mess with during the kick in this game.

All in all, I have no qualms with a few JFs being added here or there, on the condition that they do not dramatically improve a move (Yoshi's healing from SCIV, for example). The reason being that as mentioned above, this game has never been quite as competitive as other fighters. Giving good players a huge edge over their competition would sort of spoil the spirit of this particular game. I'm all for a few additional frames or slight damage boost and stuff, but nothing annoying like a JF Azura Dance.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Giving good players a huge edge over their competition would sort of spoil the spirit of this particular game.
-Have you not played either DOA2 or DOA3? One wall juggle with Either Jann Lee or Hayate was over half your life if you wasnt as good as your opponent.

DoA has just frames, its just the buffer system in the game makes them obnoxiously easy (compare Akira's knee in DoA to VF for example.)
-Team Ninja should tighten it back up to DOA2 Vanilla style buffering. And also bring in more attacks that wont have followups if it dont successfully land on either hit/block.

Codemaster92163

-Have you not played either DOA2 or DOA3? One wall juggle with Either Jann Lee or Hayate was over half your life if you wasnt as good as your opponent.

There's a difference in not playing the game and not playing it competitively. I was really young when I played DOA2U and DOA3, and I only ever played those with my family.

I didn't clarify my point, and for that I apologize. I meant to say that the ability to perform a just frame shouldn't dramatically increase your chances at winning (and I only say that in regards to this particular DOA, not meant to be construed as any other fighter or previous title). The inputs in DOA have never been anything overly complicated, so to randomly add just frames that are practically necessary to take home a win doesn't make sense to me. That's why I just want them, if they are ever added, to only add small bonuses to a move or string that won't make or break a player due to their ability (or lack thereof) to perform them.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't clarify my point, and for that I apologize. I meant to say that the ability to perform a just frame shouldn't dramatically increase your chances at winning (and I only say that in regards to this particular DOA, not meant to be construed as any other fighter or previous title). The inputs in DOA have never been anything overly complicated, so to randomly add just frames that are practically necessary to take home a win doesn't make sense to me. That's why I just want them, if they are ever added, to only add small bonuses to a move or string that won't make or break a player due to their ability (or lack thereof) to perform them.
-The problem with you not wanting just frames to dramatically increase your chances of winning is already built in the game. For example, if a player is capable of just framing their combo throws, that is a 100+ points of guaranteed damage that a lesser skilled player will never get. The combos/juggles from danger zone rebounds require strict(moreso than regular combos/juggles) timing, and depending on the character being used, you can get up to 40+ damage. Those 40+ points can either make or break a match.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
People still don't know this game.

"I don't like Just Frames. don't put em in :C "

"TOO LATE, you had them for years."

Granted, they're only in combo throws, but this is one reason why I play grapplers. No one practices just frame throw escape anyway though, so I usually get my combo throws very often.

Just frame attacks are fucking stupid. The short bus kind.

No.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD