DOA5U to have Arcade Release in Winter of 2013

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
DOA5T2013-7-6-001432013-07-0620_15_52.jpg
Yosuke Hayashi just announced at the end of the last DOA5 Japanese Tournament that this winter of 2013, Team NINJA will be releasing Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate into Japanese arcades.

It has been 14 years since Dead or Alive had an official release into the arcade business, and it will be interesting to see how the current arcade scene takes to the game.

Berzerk!

This is big news. Returning Doa to the arcade will have a number of positive effects

It will expose the game to the broader fighting game audience in Japan
Players from other games will try it and TN will see and be able to interpret player feedback and play data from the arcades - a different environment than core Doa fans on console
Arcade environment is entirely for conpetitive play - this is a great thing for the direction if the game
TN will be able to attract and access more players from the Japanese scene for input on the game
By default being in the arcade will grant an extra level if respect to the scene as it finds players within a more "legitimate" space

It will be interesting to see if the home and arcade versions are patched simultaneously as TN responds to player feedback and data

Intriguing stuff

Haipa Sonikku

"And oh, my goodness you're welcome, you're welcome" Wrote a letter via Twitter to Team Ninja over a year and a half ago (as well as debated with some people that were strictly on that Foolishness here) about this. You guys will Thank Me Later and see what this game can truly do when it's released. Anyone who has actually played fighting games for 20 yrs and/or i.e. seen the before and after effect of SSFIV's JPN Arcade release on the Street Fighter community will see. I may seem wrong today because it's not popular. Tomorrow I will be right because it is true.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Berzerk! said:
This is big news. Returning Doa to the arcade will have a number of positive effects

Players from other games will try it and TN will see and be able to interpret player feedback and play data from the arcades - a different environment than core Doa fans on console
Arcade environment is entirely for conpetitive play - this is a great thing for the direction if the game
TN will be able to attract and access more players from the Japanese scene for input on the game
By default being in the arcade will grant an extra level if respect to the scene as it finds players within a more "legitimate" space

It will be interesting to see if the home and arcade versions are patched simultaneously as TN responds to player feedback and data

Intriguing stuff

Hopefully it will have this desired effect. Being in the community for so long, I guess I get a little pessimistic some time.

Haipa Sonikku

Intriguing stuff
Exactly. Very good aspirations actually for the inevitable Dead or Alive 6. Question now is what Arcade hardware will it run on.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Haipa Sonikku said:
Exactly. Very good aspirations actually for the inevitable Dead or Alive 6. Question now is what Arcade hardware will it run on.

Thats a good question. I doubt it will be something brand new. Hmmm was thinking, would be interesting if the Arcade and console are cross compatible. like uploading a players ghost data on console to fight, online play etc.

Haipa Sonikku

Thats a good question. I doubt it will be something brand new. Hmmm was thinking, would be interesting if the Arcade and console are cross compatible. like uploading a players ghost data on console to fight, online play etc.

Yeah. It's a striking distance with the online play, but Team Ninja could pull it off i.e. DOA5U 4 player online Tag. Also would be interesting if they have something similar to VF.TV. I'm bracing for the surprise in which the Arcade ver. may run on hardware similar to PS4...

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I can't help but think this is a tactic TN is using to buy time to work Tengu in the game, if they choose to add him (or any other surprise characters that got gypped) later down the road. But I don't want to get my hopes up. Just a thought, nothing more.

Kasumi

This is good news but maybe they should have done it earlier to help the console release.

FakeSypha

Good good. DOA really needs this. I guess it will help to get the game in the competitive path. I hope, at least.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
I'm really happy what actual (new) TN (has been and) is doing with DOA :')
  • best balanced DOA ever (both chars and system)
  • new great art direccion (for chars, actual best 3D fighter graphics)
  • making (some kind of) partnership with VF
  • free DOA for all the PS3 world to play the game (hope they do the same for 360)
  • bring game back to arcades
  • and even best: all above keeping DOA identity and philosophy (triangle system, anime inspired chars, etc)
  • and also ensuring game appealing to casuals (better story mode, easy commands, etc... which is need for franchise to financially survive)
With this great work DOA reputation shall positively grow. I think this new TN is very smart! :D

David Gregg

I'm sorry I have to ask this even if it's slightly off topic but will this change the home version in any way? Like will there be an attract view when you don't press start at the main menu and will they have the Continue? countdown? I would actually like that as I'm a big fan of the arcade feel.

loan_grains

DOA5T2013-7-6-001432013-07-0620_15_52.jpg
Yosuke Hayashi just announced at the end of the last DOA5 Japanese Tournament that this winter of 2013, Team NINJA will be releasing Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate into Japanese arcades.

It has been 14 years since Dead or Alive had an official release into the arcade business, and it will be interesting to see how the current arcade scene takes to the game.
It be the most coolest thing if like you know, team ninja and tecmo released this version to states. would like to go to the nearest TILT and play this, heck even host retro style tournaments. Were people have wait in line and spectate.that was like the best play experience ever, yeah that is as old school your going to get. lets cross our fingers for a us released, but I do have hope in them. Doing just that, I fell there is going to be a good chance I mean come on there's super street fighter 4 AE and lets not forget about king of fighters xiii. But then again sure hope so right?

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
First time in 14 years since DOA2 was released on the NAOMI hardware. Good to see DOA back in arcades!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD