DOA6 meter is easy to fix.

Napoleon

- Increase "Break Blow" damage, "Break Blow" still costs full meter bar.

- "Break Hold" costs full meter bar.

- "Sidestep" costs full meter bar or maybe half meter bar (debate needed on this one).

- Gain meter on guard, on hit, counter hit, on throw, on break throw, on Hold, on taunt (for fun).

DOA6 would be a bit better like that if they plan to make DOA6U.

human013

- "Break Hold" costs full meter bar.
DOA does not need more escape options so break holds need to be removed.
- "Sidestep" costs full meter bar or maybe half meter bar (debate needed on this one).
If you need meter to perform basic 3D fighter movements then the game is already bad and cannot be salvaged.

The only thing meter should be used for is the super. Copy Granblue Fantasy Versus in that regard. Meter has no value outside of supers and you usually gain enough to use only one super per round.

Napoleon

Only one "Break Hold" and only one (maybe two) "Sidestep" that cost the full (or the half) meter bar would be already a lot better for balance and mind game.

I don't remember sidestep being so strong in DOA, you almost never sidestep in DOA before. But sidestep in DOA6 is clearly too strong cause you don't need timing and it evades every no tracking moves way too easily with a guaranted hit after (1/4 meter bar).

It would add mind game and less random, people would be like :
"should i use my broken Break Hold or should i use my stupid Sidestep, maybe i should save it for my Break Blow to destroy him..."

Also you can remove the stupid meter bar on the screen, and just call that state "Ultimate" (it would fit better for DOA). Instead of having an ugly meter bar, your life bar would change of color with a little flash on it when Ultimate state is ready and when you can get access to an "Ultimate Move" (1 Break Blow, or 1 Break Hold, or 1 Sidestep).

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
break hold can be removed tbh, just don't see it all that necessary.

sidesteps shouldn't be attached to the meter, if they are being abused can always add tracking to more character moves.

an ultimate guage would work for the using the break blow.

i am sure there are plenty of other issues with gameplay but i am just replying to ones mentioned.

well here's to hoping they can salvage the series.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
General step movement, or even step movement into a form of an attack should not cost meter whatsoever. I'm actually quite glad many other fighting games do not take DOA's note on such a atrocious idea, or mostly anything from DOA related besides costume contests, but when it comes to future implemented mechanics? thank the lord other fighters don't follow suit.

It's a 3D fighter. Many new and upcoming new players need to get with the program that movement needs to be free to truly fit and feel the state of a 3D fighter. This is not even a discussion. This is practically common sense at this point because people seem to have the perception that whatever TN gives you is automatically good without going into details for flawed situations.

- Improve the neutral step system, attacks shouldn't even realign from a linear attack from a neutral step unless it was the form of an attack lol. It's the purpose of using tracking moves to begin with. DOA's neutral step system is actually one of the worst candidates in the game because of how weak it is. If you can't bring a good SS, then at least improve the freestep system in itself. You want people to learn from their mistakes and condition them to use their attacks intelligently. Hitting buttons that magically align doesn't make you a player with an IQ of 9000. If an attack goes off-axis from a neutral step, then congratulations. You just witnessed what a SS is. An improved SS can also enable new types of scenarios where it might even lead to a BT combo that's not possible by normal means.

- Get a better netplay. Switch to Rollback or something.

Last edited:

Napoleon

DOA6 Sidestep has to cost meter because it's too good !

No timing needed and guaranted hit after, big damage, and it can wall splat for a combo. It's also a get off me move, a panic button (almost like the Break Hold).

Using all the meter for only 1 Break Blow, only 1 Break Hold, only 1 Sidestep.

To choose 1 of these 3 monsters when you have full meter would make it already better and less random.

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

DOA6 needs to lessen meter gain if anything not give you MORE meter. It's already dumb that a single combo can pretty much give you full meter, the problem with meter gain is it's too fast not too slow.

Also SSA does not need to use meter, DOA5's SSA didn't need to use meter and had 2 variations they just need to make it less of a get out of jail free card its already super unsafe and throw punishable maybe reduce the distance on the knock back or make it a stun like in 5.

Break Hold needs to be removed entirely, it's too much a crutch and just stupid I'm getting backed in a corner? use Break Hold and not onlydo I switch positions but I also get frame advantage? get it gone.

Napoleon

Yes but DOA6 Sidestep is different and OP, while DOA5 Sidestep was almost usuless.

We are talking about DOA6, they will not transform that game in DOA5LR.

That's why full meter for Break Blow, Break Hold, and Sidestep, would be more viable cause you will see a lot less these 3 monsters, you will have to choose among these 3 ones to spend your full meter bar.

Having 2 (broken) Break Holds and 4 (stupid) Sidesteps when the meter bar is full... It's too much.

Just make the game with only 1 Break Hold and maybe 1 or 2 Sidesteps when full meter, i bet it would be already a lot better. Also increase damage of the Break Blow (cause current one is ridiculous), that would make people saving more their full meter for Break Blow than using their full meter for Break Hold or Sidestep.

But as i said in early posts, remove the meter bar of the screen cause it's ugly and doesn't fit well :

"Also you can remove the stupid meter bar on the screen, and just call that state "Ultimate" (it would fit better for DOA). Instead of having an ugly meter bar, your life bar would change of color with a little flash on it when Ultimate state is ready and when you can get access to an "Ultimate Move" (1 Break Blow, or 1 Break Hold, or 1 Sidestep)."

And there you have it "DOA6U", ggs Team Ninja but give me 10%.

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

DOA6's sidestep really isn't OP like at all, the sidestep itself is invincible to linear moves and it's kinda fast but that doesn't use meter the SSA 2/8SS does and that's what I'm talking about it's unsafe and throw punishable and really all it does is knock you back how exactly is that OP? they only made it use meter because people kept spamming it. Like I said it's used as a get out of jail free card, all they needed to do in the first place is just reduce the knock back on hit and/or reduce push back on block so you can reliably throw punish it and the SSA problem is no more.

Why do you keep insisting they increase BB damage? it's 80 damage just like 5's Power Blow it doesn't need a damage increase, the only time Break Blow doesn't do 80 damage is if it's in a combo because 6's stupid damage scaling fucks up any kind of actual combo you have and nerfs it to oblivion unless you BB cancel or use a dangerzone.

Napoleon

Yes sometimes damage scaling makes BB sucks in combo (even the close power hit sucks in combo) that's what i'm talking about.

The Sidestep is OP cause no timing needed, and the damage is enough to end a round in a stupid way, a random Sidestep to a wall combo can give you 70 damage. Also tracking moves are not viable everytime at close range, because usually the tracking moves are a bit slower. And like you said if this Sidestep was free, people would keep spamming it.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Yes sometimes damage scaling makes BB sucks in combo (even the close power hit sucks in combo) that's what i'm talking about.

The Sidestep is OP cause no timing needed, and the damage is enough to end a round in a stupid way, a random Sidestep to a wall combo can give you 70 damage. Also tracking moves are not viable everytime at close range, because usually the tracking moves are a bit slower. And like you said if this Sidestep was free, people would keep spamming it.

Sidestep isn't OP. It's actually mediocre. Also, there is a difference between SS and SSA.

1) Neutral stepping/General SS (SS) is the general step move that evades linear attacks. This needs to be improved on. Either that, or completely improve freestep movement.

2) Sidestep attack (SSA) is the attack that comes from the form of a SS. Which is what people complained about in DOA6 because of the knockback attached to the attack that resets the neutral, on top that it was originally invincible for the first few frames until it was adjusted where you can sorta throw it before the attack is about to initiate. Not that it truly matters because the attack itself was unsafe. It was -15. You can't exactly spam the move because it's unsafe. It's a free throw when it's blocked, but some people were too busy hitting buttons on abare to realize they can block. But because of how it worked, it allowed even the slower characters to reset the pressure so that they do not have to respect the constant speed meta and the amount of sheer guesswork from DOA's shenanigans when it comes to proper offense and neutral.

People over the years complained about DOA's SS being low tier (which it actually was). In doing so, many asked for TN to make improvements on it. TN heard, but not in the way that people expected. And what that unexpected outcome was? the SSA. Maybe if the general step was good, TN wouldn't even resort to this.

At the end of the day, you don't need meter to make a good game. DOA originally did fine without it. Their first mistake was attaching meter to a universal evasion/movement attack mechanic as a whole. That automatically = bad idea and just doesn't look good.

Last edited:

Napoleon

SS doesn't exist in DOA6 because it's almost usuless, of course when i say Sidestep i talk about SSA.

It's way too easy to get "free" 30 damage or even more when close to a wall.

This "SSA" clearly can not work if not limited (by meter or something) cause it's too good.

But yeah, maybe you are right and they will have to redesign this Sidestep entirely...

I really hope DOA6 can get better and fixed by the devs so everybody can be happy with DOA again. This game is such a wasted potential for now, i hope Team Ninja will improve 6 and will give us a better version of the game soon with the next gen incoming.

DOA6 feels unfinished, they can't let it the way it is, they should spend more time to develop the game again and release a DOA6U.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Sigh...
Changes that should be made to the game in my opinion are:
- Remove the bar completely. DOA was fine without it in the past, and personally I don’t see why DOA should need a bar in the first place.

- Break blows shouldn’t have sabaki properties and be a get out of jail card for pressure. Make it a charged attack like the power blows in DOA5 that could be cancelled.

- removal of break holds. I don’t see the point of having a hold that switches sides, leaves the user at an advantage, and holds every kind of strike with just 1 button.

- Removal of the instant side step attack. I am happy that sidesteps are better in 6 and are quicker, but I hate the follow up attack. I miss having the option back in 5 that gave you the option to do a SSP or SSK.

- Return of force techs. I’m tired of people being able to lie on the ground for a few seconds without any repercussions.

- Fix the damage scaling and meta of the game. The damage scaling just sucks, longer combo’s do shit damage and it forces people to do the same short combo for max damage. It feels repetitive and boring. The meta of DOA6 is stun -> launch -> bound -> BBC or CH. that’s something that’s really boring and tiring. Back in 5 you had multiple ways to get max damage, but also could do a set up into a force tech, etc. This is something that lacks in DOA6 and makes it very repetitive and boring to play on the long term.

Napoleon

Yeah meter bar feels out of the place, it's not even clear and pratical to read on the screen when you are playing...

I don't mind Break Blow and Break Hold, just make Break Hold less available (just like Break Blow) and not 2 times anymore when full meter.

I'm all for fun in DOA (it's not Virtua Fighter either, and it's ok for DOA to be a bit crazy more like Tekken or SoulCalibur), and i'm fine for it to be a different game than DOA5LR, but with balance.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I mean again.

- Get a better netcode on the netplay

- Improve the neutral step system. DOA5 and DOA6's SS was abysmal. If they can't somehow improve that department and resorting to making up silly excuses again, then improve the freestep.

- Test the waters with a throw break system while having throws remain unbreakable on HiC status/when someone holds.

Start from there. Thank me later.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Yeah meter bar feels out of the place, it's not even clear and pratical to read on the screen when you are playing...

I don't mind Break Blow and Break Hold, just make Break Hold less available (just like Break Blow) and not 2 times anymore when full meter.

I'm all for fun in DOA (it's not Virtua Fighter either, and it's ok for DOA to be a bit crazy more like Tekken or SoulCalibur), and i'm fine for it to be a different game than DOA5LR, but with balance.
Tell me, what is the point of having a breakhold system, when every character has the ability to hold already?

Napoleon

Tell me, what is the point of having a breakhold system, when every character has the ability to hold already?

Just to make the game fresh, to make it different.

To have "ONLY" 1 or 2 Break Hold in an entire match can be fine imo, for mind game (save it for BB or for BH or for SS ?) and also for a LITTLE BIT random for the fun of the match, but when it goes to 4 or 5 Break Hold in one single match of course this becomes a real problem.

Break Hold is like a Super Hold, and Break Blow is like a Super HIT. Do it once is ok, but do it 5 times in a match is trash.

People act like DOA was always a very serious competiv and hardcore fighting game since 5LR... Like it's Virtua Fighter or The King of Fighters, it has never been the case.

DOA can be skill, it can be deep (like most fighting games)... But it also can be crazy and fun.

And i still prefer to deal with Break Blow and Break Hold of DOA than Rage Art and Power Crush of Tekken, and don't even talk about the Critical Edge of SoulCalibur 6.

Last edited:

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Just to make the game fresh, to make it different.

To have "ONLY" 1 or 2 Break Hold in an entire match can be fine imo, for mind game (save it for BB or for BH or for SS ?) and also for a LITTLE BIT random for the fun of the match, but when it goes to 4 or 5 Break Hold in one single match of course this becomes a real problem.

Break Hold is like a Super Hold, and Break Blow is like a Super HIT. Do it once is ok, but do it 5 times in a match is trash.

People act like DOA was always a very serious competiv and hardcore fighting game since 5LR... Like it's Virtua Fighter or The King of Fighters, it has never been the case.

DOA can be skill, it can be deep (like most fighting games)... But it also can be crazy and fun.

And i still prefer to deal with Break Blow and Break Hold of DOA than Rage Art and Power Crush of Tekken, and don't even talk about the Critical Edge of SoulCalibur 6.
The amount of times one can perform such a move doesn’t make it trash. The move is either trash or it isn’t. I prefer any special move that doesn’t have armor, takes a large amount of health or is a Mashable 1 button move.

DOA doesn’t need to be super competitive, we’ve already been over this discussion and I’m not going to have it again. Let’s just say that a game can be competitively balanced and fun without having cheap, no skill get out of jail cards.

Napoleon

Yes but DOA can't be exactly the same forever cause what's the point to make "a new" game then ?

DOA needs to evolve or change a little bit, and kids love Super Moves in 2020 lol.

I'm for only 1 Break Blow or only 1 Break Hold and only 2 SSA, when we have full meter bar.

- 2 Break Holds and 4 Sidestep Attack, it's clearly too much ! -

That would be a lot more balanced like that.

Or you choose the Super Attack move with Break Blow, or you choose the Super Defense move with Break Hold.
And or you have a mix of both (defense + attack move) with 2 Sidestep Attack, a little less crazy but still good.

15% for me Team Ninja and an exclusive costume, thanks.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD