DOA7 Roll Back Net Code

Wheels92

Sort of a personal rant if you will:

Dead or Alive Roll Back Net Code needs to happen with the 7th entry. I don't care if TN thinks it won't work. We need to stay on them and tell them that it WILL work if implemented correctly. Tekken was not implemented right and Harada denies it. Street Fighter 5 was not implemented correctly either. When actually implemented correctly, it works perfectly fine. Most of these developers don't want to bother taking the risk and learning new stuff bc it's either their way or no way. Guess what? We tend to know quite a bit if not more than them when it comes to certain topics. Hell some modders are smarter than them ngl. Long story short, I can't keep suffering with piss poor netcode and clenching each round just to wonder if my inputs will be read properly or dropped altogether. Nobody should have to deal with this. We need to be vocal and keep on them until they see the light.... and the increase in sales just from better online bc I know they all care about money.

Rob

Premium Donor
Yeah DOA6 is dogshit on PlayStation. I truly don't understand how people can tolerate the input delay offline, and then you add in the delay netcode on top (especially when most PlayStation users are on Wi-Fi) its god awful. It's also not just the delayed inputs but having your inputs dropped as well. It's not at all stable with input registration. You might as well just mash buttons online and hope for the best.

PC is better, but I would have liked a few more frames shaved off the native input delay. To me it feels about on par with PS4 5LR offline. PC 5LR offline is about the lowest input delay I've felt in a DOA game.

Also not just rollback, but it needs a different engine that doesn't have a few frames of input delay already baked in (DOA6).

Wheels92

Yeah DOA6 is dogshit on PlayStation. I truly don't understand how people can tolerate the input delay offline, and then you add in the delay netcode on top (especially when most PlayStation users are on Wi-Fi) its god awful. It's also not just the delayed inputs but having your inputs dropped as well. It's not at all stable with input registration. You might as well just mash buttons online and hope for the best.

PC is better, but I would have liked a few more frames shaved off the native input delay. To me it feels about on par with PS4 5LR offline. PC 5LR offline is about the lowest input delay I've felt in a DOA game.

Also not just rollback, but it needs a different engine that doesn't have a few frames of input delay already baked in (DOA6).
I agree with what you said. I asked a guy the other night how they tolerate the input atrociousness and his response was "He's played both PC and PS4 and they feel the same and you just need good internet" I was baffled to put it lightly bc I can clearly feel differences in game engines and if my inputs are sluggish or just dropped. Now as for DOA5, I've played PC 5LR(I own it) and it felt slower to me, but maybe that was the actual weight physics at work? Bc to me DOA6's engine doesn't feel "heavy" like 5LR's does, if that makes sense. I do have an over the top rig though to compensate for DOA6's poor optimized engine and cpu bugs and such I heard it has.

Overall yes, agreed 7 needs help in areas other than the net code. First make sure they get an engine that works like an engine should.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Premium Donor
I agree with what you said. I asked a guy the other night how they tolerate the input atrociousness and his response was "He's played both PC and PS4 and they feel the same and you just need good internet" I was baffled to put it lightly bc I can clearly feel differences in game engines and if my inputs are sluggish or just dropped. Now as for DOA5, I've played PC 5LR(I own it) and it felt slower to me, but maybe that was the actual weight physics at work? Bc to me DOA6's engine doesn't feel "heavy" like 5LR's does, if that makes sense. I do have an over the top rig though to compensate for DOA6's poor optimized engine and cpu bugs and such I heard it has.

Overall yes, agreed 7 needs help in areas other than the net code. First make sure they get an engine that works like an engine should.
It's possible they either haven't optimized their own PC or even the PC itself is garbage compared to PS4. Or maybe they are using an old slow LCD monitor display. Who knows.

But PC and PS4 is night and day difference. They feel like two different games. I wish this was hyperbole but it's not.

Depends what you mean by heavy and slow. Keep in mind I am only talking about how responsive a game feels. 5LR on PC has felt extremely responsive to me offline.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
PS4 & OG XBOX combined with net code is a very unfortunate combination. I started off on PS4 and then made my way to PC. I mainly play on XBOX Series X because I think it actually has a better player pool than PC. Far less lag and like Rob said for PC it's a completely different game.

I'm pretty sure DOA6 is the only F2P 3D fighter available on Series X so that might drive the numbers up. The other big issue is that players are not wired 80% of the time.

Wheels92

It's possible they either haven't optimized their own PC or even the PC itself is garbage compared to PS4. Or maybe they are using an old slow LCD monitor display. Who knows.

But PC and PS4 is night and day difference. They feel like two different games. I wish this was hyperbole but it's not.

Depends what you mean by heavy and slow. Keep in mind I am only talking about how responsive a game feels. 5LR on PC has felt extremely responsive to me offline.
The “heavy and slow” was my time playing 5LR in that it felt like characters had more weight to them, and when moving it was slower bc of the weight. I talked with my roommate a while back and he told me it had to do with 5 having fuller animation to it whereas in 6 cuts animation to make it feel quicker and snappier and return to neutral faster if you will. I’m not 100% sure about all of it, however I do notice the differences in the animation between 5 and 6 for sure. 6 feels way more like it has anime properties involved as opposed to 5 feeling more like virtua fighter’s weight and animation flow or even tekken. Everything in 5 to me at least, felt weighted. I played 5LR on pc just to test if it was bc I played on console, but it was still there. Only time 6 has felt worse than 5 is when on ps4 for me.

Wheels92

PS4 & OG XBOX combined with net code is a very unfortunate combination. I started off on PS4 and then made my way to PC. I mainly play on XBOX Series X because I think it actually has a better player pool than PC. Far less lag and like Rob said for PC it's a completely different game.

I'm pretty sure DOA6 is the only F2P 3D fighter available on Series X so that might drive the numbers up. The other big issue is that players are not wired 80% of the time.
All so true lol. I’ve contemplated before buying a series X just for 6. I told myself it’s probably not worth it ultimately and decided to wait for 7 and play on PC. I will say the player pool is bad on PC. Maybe someday if I can find a series X cheap, I’ll get it.

Rob

Premium Donor
The “heavy and slow” was my time playing 5LR in that it felt like characters had more weight to them, and when moving it was slower bc of the weight. I talked with my roommate a while back and he told me it had to do with 5 having fuller animation to it whereas in 6 cuts animation to make it feel quicker and snappier and return to neutral faster if you will. I’m not 100% sure about all of it, however I do notice the differences in the animation between 5 and 6 for sure. 6 feels way more like it has anime properties involved as opposed to 5 feeling more like virtua fighter’s weight and animation flow or even tekken. Everything in 5 to me at least, felt weighted. I played 5LR on pc just to test if it was bc I played on console, but it was still there. Only time 6 has felt worse than 5 is when on ps4 for me.
Well it probably helps that DOA5 characters aren't bouncing around like if they are playing on a trampoline as in DOA6.

Tiburonin

I made the switch to PC/Xbox for input lag reasons as well. Any chance future tourney organizers could run all PC or Xbox?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I made the switch to PC/Xbox for input lag reasons as well. Any chance future tourney organizers could run all PC or Xbox?

It's been that way before and during the era of Dead or Alive 6 World Championship I know that players used PCs for some of the major tournaments. Now it's quite a challenge to get DOA at a main event so to encourage the organizers to do anything other than what they want to do to make sure the game is there is a tough play. The organizers had six PS4s used for EVO Japan and PS4 was also used at Winter Brawl 3D.

I believe players can also opt in to bring systems so maybe we can get that going for NEC this year. Dead or Alive 3 ++ tournament is also a possibility at NEC which would run on an original XBOX.

Tiburonin

It's been that way before and during the era of Dead or Alive 6 World Championship I know that players used PCs for some of the major tournaments. Now it's quite a challenge to get DOA at a main event so to encourage the organizers to do anything other than what they want to do to make sure the game is there is a tough play. The organizers had six PS4s used for EVO Japan and PS4 was also used at Winter Brawl 3D.

I believe players can also opt in to bring systems so maybe we can get that going for NEC this year. Dead or Alive 3 ++ tournament is also a possibility at NEC which would run on an original XBOX.
Totally understandable, thanks for the explanation. Yeah my Series S is very portable and I planned on bringing it to a tournament anyway.

WAZAAAAA

you can play DOA2 Limited Edition on Fightcade to experience some DOA rollback btw

DOA6 not getting rollback was such a wasted opportunity since they switched engine... they could've adapted rollback while at it smh

Wheels92

you can play DOA2 Limited Edition on Fightcade to experience some DOA rollback btw

DOA6 not getting rollback was such a wasted opportunity since they switched engine... they could've adapted rollback while at it smh
ill have to try that. As for 6 not getting rollback, this released in the state that Granblue is too. It was still pre covid where rollback was not a necessity as much as it is now. That is why they didn’t implement it. Why I’m hoping they change their tune for 7. It would definitely sell them more copies and make them more money.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD