2. Moveset Breakdown
2-A. Top 20 Moves
2-B. Dragon Stance Breakdown
2-C. Throw Breakdown
2-D. Hold Breakdown
2-E. Safe Moves/Pokes/Strings
2-F. BT (Backturned) Game

3. Credits and Special Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. introduction

This guide will be using Dead or Alive's input layout for move/command reference, it is composed of numerical direction input and move abbrevations, such as:

1/:1: - Down-back
2/:2: - Down
3/:3: - Down-Forward
4/:4: - Back
5/:5: - Neutral (No directional input)
6/:6: - Forward
7/:7: - Up-Back
8/:8: - Up
9/:9: - Up-Forward

P/:P: - Punch
K/:K: - Kick
H/:h: - Hold
T/:H+P: - Throw

P+K/:P+K: - Strong Punch
H+K/:H+K: - Strong Kick

Meaning if i were to say 7P2P2K/:7::P::2::P::2::K: it could be translated as: Up-back punch down punch down kick.

After many months of planning, writing, designing, recording and editing, the Dragon Guide is finally here! This written version will serve as a complement to the guide itself (The huge video above) discussing a few other points and tips to using Jann Lee's max potential.

2. Moveset Breakdown

2-A. Top 20 Moves

Note these moves are placed in no specific order.

- :4::P::P::P:: Multi purpose tool with good range and delay capability.
- :6::6::K:: Safe poke, great for keep away and whiff punishing.
- :6::P:: i11 mid with delayable followups.
- :6::K:: i13 mid kick, deep stun with delayable followups, catches back turned situations.
- :6::6::H+P:: Offensive hold, on impact it gives +25 frames, full reset.
- :H+K:: Low crush move, gives a sitdown stun after stun or on counter hit.
- :6::H+K:: Deep stun, provides good mix-up in stun or without it.
- :P::6::P:: Normal hit stun, natural combo, provides easy mix-up situations.
- :7::K:: Normal hit stun, second best launcher, tracks and on counter hit it grants full combo.
- :2::3::6::P:: Safe poke, good damage, great range, tracking, can be used in the same fashion as :6::6::K:.
- :5::K:: i12 high kick, great range, delayable followups, normal hit stun.
- :4::4::P:: i14 mid elbow, safe, leads into BT mixup, normal hit stun.
- :9::P:: Tracking, safe poke, decent range.
- :3::K:: Long reaching, safe poke, delayable followups, normal hit stun.
- :6::P+K:: Semi safe, great range, delayable followup, normal hit stun.
- :4::K:: Great range, delayable followup, natural combo.
- :2::P:: i13 low, safe, great range, possible followup.
- :7::P:: High crush, frame advantage on block, normal hit stun.
- :P+K:: Guard break, safe, leads into BT mixup.
- :4::H+K:: Great range, normal hit stun, delayable followup, in stun or CH leads into a limbo stun in closed stance.

2-B. Dragon Stance Breakdown

Jann Lee's stance, DS, provides the fastest strikes in the game at the expense of leaving him vulnerable with no grab option. The main uses for this stance are, to apply pressure in stun and to play the spacing game. Jann Lee can enter DS from these moves:

From Strikes:
- :6::P::4:
- :9::P::4:
- :4::P::P::4:
- :6::H+K::4:

Raw:
- :2::P+K::2:
- :1::P+K:
- Forward taunt/:2::1::4::1::2::3::6::H+P+K:

While in DS, Jann Lee gains access to these moves.

- DS :P:: i9 jab, safe, normal hit stun, great range.
- DS :6::P:: i10 mid punch, normal hit stun.
- DS :K:: i11 mid kick, normal hit stun.
-DS :6::K:: A better version of the normal :6::6::K:, safer, longer reach, more knockback.
- DS :6::P+K:: Natural combo, normal hit stun, grants faint stun, puts him back in DS.
- DS :P+K:: Critical burst, semi safe, great range.
- DS :6::h:: His dragon counter (back taunt/:4::4::H+P+K:), mid kick hold.

2-C. Throw Breakdown

Jann Lee has a strong selection of throws that can give him damage as well as other benefits, such as stage usability.

- :5::H+P:: His neutral throw. Mainly used to punish semi unsafe moves, if its teched, both characters are left at neutral frames.
- :6::H+P:: His main way of punishing unsafe moves, can lead to forcetechs or unholdables, as well as frame advantage. Has a wall variation as well, that can lead into into a full reset.
- :2::1::4::H+P:: His second most damaging throw, some really unsafe moves can be punished with this throw, untechable, has an even more damaging wall version.

- :2::3::6::H+P::H+P:: Two part throw and his most damaging throw, whiff punishing can be indeed done with this throw due to its awesome range, untechable, if the first part is broken, both characters are left at neutral frames, has an even more davastating wall version.
- :5::H+P: on BT: His fastest way of punishing BT opponents, untechable.
- :6::H+P: on BT: His most damaging throw on BT opponents, untechable.
- :3::H+P: on BT: His only way of punishing low crouching opponents on BT, a least powerful version of his :6::H+P: on BT, untechable.
- :2::H+P:: His fastest way of punishing crouching opponents, leaves both characters in neutral frames.
- :1::H+P:: His strongest punish on crouching opponents, leaves him at +1 if teched.

2-D. Hold Breakdown

Just as with his throws, Jann Lee has a pretty strong hold repertoire.

- :7::h: on punches: Decently damaging hold, untechable.
- :7::h: on kicks: Trace Gunner, leaves Jann Lee at +24 regardless of level of counter, while leaving him closer to the opponent, a better version of the Dragon Gunner and of the best high kick holds in the game.
- :4::h: on punches: As with the Trace Gunner, this hold leaves Jann Lee at +24, guaranteeing 80% of his strikes as well as leaving a possible instant LV3 Critical Stun.
- :6::h: on kicks: Decent damaging hold, leaves at +11 if teched.
- :1::h: on punches: Decent damaging hold, untechable.
- :1::h: on kicks: Decent damaging hold, untechable.
- :4::h: on jumping punches: Decent damaging hold, untechable.
- :6::h: on jumping kicks: Decent damaging hold, if teched, leaves both characters at neutral frames.
- Back taunt/:4::4::H+P+K:: Dragon Counter, mid kick command hold.
- :6::6::H+P:: Dragon Gunner, offensive hold, full reset, has a version of +26 on BT opponents.

2-E. Safe Moves/Pokes/Strings

Pokes:

- :9::P:: -1
- :4::4::P:: -5
- :P:: -1
- :P::P:: -4
- :8::P:: -6
- :2::P:: -2
- :8::H+K:: -2
- :4::4::P:: -7
- SS :P:: -4
- :P+K: -7
- :6::6::K:: -4
- DS :P:: -3
- DS :6::K:: -3
- BT :P:: -5

Strings:

- :7::P:: +1
- :2::1::4::P:: +3
- :4::4::P::P: (Full Charge): +8
- :P::P::P::6::P: (Full Charge) +6
- :3::3::P: (Full Charge) +12
- Wake Up :P+K:: +8

2-F. BT (Backturned) Game

I made a post a while ago, elaborating on why i think Jann Lee's BT game is extremely powerful. You can check it out here.

3. Credits and Special Thanks

Special thanks go to:

@Gurimmjaw for his support as well as some unholdables.
@RyuJin (ShinRyujin) For his support as well as some specific setups.
@eks2009 For his support and some extra footage that i missed. :p

And everyone else who supported and was super hyped for the project, i couldn't have done it without you guys. :)

If there are any questions or doubts regarding the guide and its contents, be sure to contact me.

Now please enjoy The. Dragon. Guide. Cheers. :jannlee:

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

In the introduction section, you can add that P+K and H+K mean Strong Punch and Strong Kick, both names are officially accepted by the developers.
latest

neOtCAl.png

KING JAIMY

This looks really good, Darkslay! An interesting read so far. I'm looking forward to future additions to the guide.

Oh, by the way, Jann Lee can also enter Dragon Stance from 1PK and P2P. I don't know if you excluded those moves on purpose because they're just variations of 6H+K and 6P respectively, but I'm just letting you know. Jann Lee can also re-enter Dragon Stance from his DS 6P+K.

One last thing, when are you planning to release the video of the Dragon Guide?

Darkslay

In the introduction section, you can add that P+K and H+K mean Strong Punch and Strong Kick, both names are officially accepted by the developers.
latest

neOtCAl.png

Thanks for the tip. ;)

This looks really good, Darkslay! An interesting read so far. I'm looking forward to future additions to the guide.

Oh, by the way, Jann Lee can also enter Dragon Stance from 1PK and P2P. I don't know if you excluded those moves on purpose because they're just variations of 6H+K and 6P respectively, but I'm just letting you know. Jann Lee can also re-enter Dragon Stance from his DS 6P+K.

One last thing, when are you planning to release the video of the Dragon Guide?

I ran into so much trouble putting it together man. XD, but hey, its finally here!!!

And yes i know those moves transition him as well, but as you said, they're only variations, so i didn't put them in.

I would greatly appreciate if you could put the guide on the front page, please.
@Mr. Wah @CyberEvil

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Wow, this is some incredible stuff @Darkslay. If I decide to take up Jann Lee (I have dabbled with him a bit to train a couple players in my scene that used him), I will use your guide for sure. Keep up it up dude!

Darkslay

Quite refreshing to see cool stuff.
Thanks a lot Doge, lol.

I think you officially beat my record of the longest combo video. Congrats and good stuff man.
Haha, there's a lot more than just combos here tho, so i cheated. :p

Wow, this is some incredible stuff @Darkslay. If I decide to take up Jann Lee (I have dabbled with him a bit to train a couple players in my scene that used him), I will use your guide for sure. Keep up it up dude!
Thanks so much dude!! and definitely, would love to see that. :)

Last edited:

KeatonQuiz

Finally, a true dragon guide ! I'm really impressed how complete this is .. You included literally everything . This is Bruce Lee worthy my friend . May the dragon be with you forever xD

Last edited:

Darkslay

Finally, a true dragon guide ! I'm really impressed how complete this is .. You included literally everything . This is Bruce Lee worthy my friend . May the dragon be with you forever xD
Jeeeesus man, thank you so much. That's way too nice of you. :D

Well done! ;)
Thanks, bud. :)

Yay you finished it hun! Congrats! This must feel like a huge accomplishment ^_^
Can't say it doesn't, thanks for the support. ^-^

Lulu

So I'm curious.... other than the Crazy Knock Back distance on his moves.... what is Jan Lee's Environmental Game like ?

Can he dash in fast on Sit Down Stuns triggered by Breakable Objects ?

What types of follow ups does he get from the Bigger Dangerzones like in The Scramble Stage ?

I'm just curious since I can't play Jacky anymore..... that plus I'm way too lazy to go and find these things on my own.

Darkslay

So I'm curious.... other than the Crazy Knock Back distance on his moves.... what is Jan Lee's Environmental Game like ?

Can he dash in fast on Sit Down Stuns triggered by Breakable Objects ?

What types of follow ups does he get from the Bigger Dangerzones like in The Scramble Stage ?

I'm just curious since I can't play Jacky anymore..... that plus I'm way too lazy to go and find these things on my own.

He can but only with certain moves, like 236P, 214P and the Dragon Kick, Just to name a few.

As for stages like scramble, that's all at the end of the video, i think scramble is the last stage on there. He gets some pretty scary stuff all over the stage, lol.

Lulu

I can't watch the video yet.... :(
Need to get this mess sorted out with my desktop and my internet....... but I swear as soon as that done.... Dragon Guide will be my first video ;)

Uhm..... don't you think its weird Jan Lee doesn't have more Guard Breaks.... you'd think a hard hitting menace like him would rip right through Blocking Opponents........ or is that the whole point of his Dragon Gunner ?

Darkslay

I can't watch the video yet.... :(
Need to get this mess sorted out with my desktop and my internet....... but I swear as soon as that done.... Dragon Guide will be my first video ;)

Uhm..... don't you think its weird Jan Lee doesn't have more Guard Breaks.... you'd think a hard hitting menace like him would rip right through Blocking Opponents........ or is that the whole point of his Dragon Gunner ?

Ohhhh, i see. That's ok, man.

Hmmmm. Not really, for not being a heavyweight, he has a fair share of GBs, i think, and only one of them is unsafe. :)

Lulu

Ohhhh, i see. That's ok, man.

Hmmmm. Not really, for not being a heavyweight, he has a fair share of GBs, i think, and only one of them is unsafe. :)

Awesome !!! The Balance Patch doesn't seem to have affected him much...... I don't know if thats good or not so good.

WAZAAAAA

I finally watched the guide, was pretty useful at some points but I would like to point out some little flaws here and there.

Maybe it should be mentioned that charged 4P+K will guardbreak only if the powerblow is AVAILABLE.
Listing NEGATIVE guardbreaks is useless because it's a stupid mechanic that's not even supposed to exist lol.

5:50 "Meaning these strings cannot be held or blocked." I would've added "on normal hit".

14:14 -> 14:24 the best followup after that kind of stun is a Dragon Kick bruh, great damage, rarely ever misses, easy execution. For the best damage there's running P Close Hit which is harder to do but does even more damage.

18:53 why is that guaranteed? I don't think it is
19:18 Dragon Kick can actually be avoided by going low
I think the rest isn't guaranteed either if the opponent Stagger Escapes pretty fast

There's no mention of midP & highK Hold setups! Just to mention one, after an Hi-Counter midP hold I like to do H+K 6P+K... BANG, Critical Burst that can only be escaped by Stagger Escaping at fastest.

In the "beating wakeup kicks" section (at 43:30) there's no mention of using 1P+K6K, my personal favorite and imo the best one!

In the stage combos section, there's nothing about Scramble's low floor.

Btw, you wrote "Heavy Kick/Punch" instead of "Strong Kick/Punch" lul. And PP6P or PK becoming natural combos if the spacing is correct, omg neat.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD