System Frame Data Explained

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
This is always a topic of confusion for people that often gets dismissed because it isn't easily understood. I hope that this post can help you better understand the values behind frame data.

Let's use Akira's :6::6::P: as an example. The data behind this move is: 12(2)23. So what does this mean?
The first number is the start up frames, the parenthesis value is the amount of frames your move is active, and the final number is your recovery frames. Let's break that down using :6::6::P:.

Start Up Frames 12(2)23: This is where Akira moves from a regular standing position and begins to strike with his elbow. In this start up period, Akira can be counter hit by strikes or offensive holds.

Active Frames 12(2)23: These frames are when the impact happens. For two frames, the elbow will be active.

Recovery Frames 12(2)23: These frames are when you cannot perform any input after the active frames. This is your recovery period. You can try hitting buttons, but nothing will happen until 23 have passed. If I use :6::6::P: and I don't connect on your character, that is considered a whiff. You have 23 frames to punish me with a throw or strike. If you're executing a string move like :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:, you can ignore the recovery frames on :3::H+K: and :P: due to them being part of a string. :4::6::6::P+K: is the move you need to account for the recovery frames because it was the last input used.
  • Note: If you use this move and the opponent blocks the attack, both the attacker and the defender are forced to process the recovery frames of the move. The recovery frames are then modified for the person blocking. In this case :6::6::P: is -5 on block. This means the blocking opponent gets to recover faster than 23 frames. 23 - 5 = 18. The blocking opponent recovers 5 frames faster than Akira.

Now that you know that, let's use the frame data I have logged for Akira as an example of how to read the rest of the character data: Akira Frame Data

First off, you'll see stuff like, 66P. P stands for punch, but what does 66 stand for? It is a reference to your computer's keyboard number pad:
keyboard-numberpad.gif

6 means :6:, 8 means :8:, 4 means :4:, and 2 means :2:. I'm sure you can figure out the rest of the numbers.

Now, let's reference all the headers in the frame data doc:
1. Attack - The input to perform the move.
2. Level - Tells you if it is a high, middle, or low attack.
3. Damage - How much damage it does.
4. Execution - The start up, active frame, and recovery frame of the move.
5. Active Frame - This was my courtesy to Akira users to understand the very first frame the move is active from the time of execution.
6. Ground - Does this move hit an opponent who is knocked down on the ground.
7. Execution On Block - The start up, active frame, and recovery frame of the move when I whiff or the opponent blocks. Some moves have different frame data for this situation.
8. Reach - How far forward the move extends. The larger the number, the greater the reach.
9. Tracking - This move will hit a side stepping opponent.
10. Guard - The advantage I'm left at if the opponent blocks. A negative number means I'm at a disadvantage. I have to wait that long before I can do anything. A positive number means I can do as I please immediately and the opponent has to wait that many frames.
11. NH - Normal hit. Meaning the opponent just stands there and you hit them with the move.
12. CH - Counter hit. Meaning I've hit the opponent before their active frame initiates. This creates a stun. 25% boost to your damage.
13. HCH - High Counter Hit. This is when you interrupt a throw with a strike. This creates a stun. 50% boost to your damage.
14. Status - Is my character Jumping, Standing, or Crouching? Jumping gets over low attacks and crouching gets under high attacks. Standing is simply standing.
15. Wall - Does this move make the opponent splat against the wall?
16. Notes - My special notes to understand the utility behind the move.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

TRI Mike

Nice, this is a necessary thing. It's importante to say catch grabs and offensive holds aren't the same thing though.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Frame data has always be difficult for me to understand, especially when I'm matching frame data from one character to another.

If I use :6::6::P: and I don't connect on your character, that is considered a whiff. You have 23 frames to punish me with a throw or strike. If you're executing a string move like :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:, you can ignore the recovery frames on :3::H+K: and :P: due to them being part of a string. :4::6::6::P+K: is the move you need to account for the recovery frames because it was the last input used.

But this at least makes recovery frames a little easier to understand for me. The status notations are a nice bonus too.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
@Mr. Wah - Is he correct? I don't want to give bad info, but I thought, "Catch Grab" was jargon for an Offensive Hold.

He is correct. Although it didn't start off that way, we turned the two terms to be separate when DOA4 hit. This is because DOA1 officially called them "Offensive Holds", but the competitive scene didn't get started until DOA2 and DOA3 where we used borrowed terminology to call them "Catch Throws". When DOA4 came and returned the hold/throws back to the way they were in DOA1 we felt the need to make the distinction.

They're the same thing effectively: Throws that go through attacks. However, in DOA1, DOA4, and DOA5 these throws have more properties that share with Holds than they do throws: Hi-counter when throw beats Offensive Hold, Hi counter when attack loses to Offensive holds. In DOA2 and DOA3 these had different properties that shared more in line with throws: Counter throw when throw beats Catch Throw, Normal damage when attack loses to Catch Throw, Hi counter damage when attack beats the Catch Throw.

So yeah, Catch Throw is more of a throw than a hold, Offensive Holds are more of a Hold than a throw.

DrDam

Hi Counter Hit isn't for when you hit an opponent JUST before their active frames, it's for when you hit an opponent during startup or active frames on a throw.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Hi Counter Hit isn't for when you hit an opponent JUST before their active frames, it's for when you hit an opponent during startup or active frames on a throw.

Or recovery. Much like you get HCT on startup, active, and recovery against an Offensive hold.

Sadly, you only get HCT on active frames for a Defensive Hold.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
is there frame data on a doc for other characters? Specifically Leon?
@XZero264 - You put Leon's data together, didn't you? I rather not send him to the headache of the Japanese frame data docs.

@Grimace - That doc I attached was all my research via the "Fight Info" box that is available in training. It's a little tedious tracking it all down manually, but it really helps you learn your character.

Grimace

@XZero264 - You put Leon's data together, didn't you? I rather not send him to the headache of the Japanese frame data docs.

@Grimace - That doc I attached was all my research via the "Fight Info" box that is available in training. It's a little tedious tracking it all down manually, but it really helps you learn your character.

Cool I'll be able to check when I'm home I'll hit the lab a bit. Just wanted to check while at work lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD