Free Step Dodge Celebrates Its Sixth Birthday

Hello everyone!

Six years ago today, I set out with @virtuaPAI and @The HuBBs to create a Dead or Alive forum that could help spread the word about the depth of Dead or Alive. I'm happy to be sitting here six years later reflecting on how far we have come as a community. We took this series from average tournament entrant numbers of fourteen (high of thirty) to an average entrant number of sixty (high of ninety-eight). It would be a severe understatement to say we have had little growth since the days of Dead or Alive 4 and the Championship Gaming Series. Of course, we couldn't have grown so much without the help from everyone at Team NINJA and tournament organizers such as Eric "Big E" Smalls and Larry "Shin Blanka" Dixon.

In addition to the growth of our own local scene, the global community has grown even more. In the year of 2015 alone, we had two tournament events that featured players from across the oceans meeting together to compete. The Dead or Alive FESTIVAL in Japan drew over 300 attendees for it's first event, showing the growing community in Japan as the Top 16 was split up between competitive players from Taiwan, Korea, Japan, America, Australia, and the Netherlands. At the Battle Royal 2016 finals North East Championships 16, I was given the opportunity to discuss with Teru Rock and JC Akira about the DOA Japan Community. Here in the United States, it was widely believed that the two communities are very different. However, from my discussions it appears that the communities are actually very much the same. Working with Teru Rock and @EMPEROR_COW, Free Step Dodge has gone international. I have set up a permanent site for Japanese and Asian players to be given the chance to grow their communities like we have. I look forward to seeing their growth now that they have their own Free Step Dodge to enjoy.

Lastly, I have completed some minor updates to the styles of the site. These include updating the site logo, creating some new banner images for you all to enjoy (provided by the Free Step Dodge members themselves), and providing the ability for the navigation bar to be always on the page when scrolling through those long discussions everyone enjoys.

I hope you all continue to help one another as we take our journey to grow this community together. We've done an amazing job so far, and I look forward to seeing what I get to reflect on in the coming years.

~Matt

wearefighters.png

@Mr.Wah - just to let you know, the email confirmation notice page on the Japanese site comes through in English, (the email is in Japanese, tho.)

Great work! And ty to everyone at FSD for giving us somewhere to meet. FSD, お誕生日おめでとうございます^^

Last edited:
Umm ...

123.jpg

... might be worth a change since this cropped end looks weird. Both the same in IE and Google Chrome with default font size settings.

The font color of the button label in the new quicksearch area is also wrong, it only turns into readable white on mouseover.

434.jpg

Last edited:
Umm ...

View attachment 21167

... might be worth a change since this cropped end looks weird. Both the same in IE and Google Chrome with default font size settings.

The font color of the button label in the new quicksearch area is also wrong, it only turns into readable white on mouseover.

View attachment 21168

While yes, it's an issue in IE. It's not an issue in the latest version of Chrome. Surprised that half of the stuff displays in IE.

It's all about edge now.

Button is also readable but is not contrasted enough :p. It's the same button as the search area before ;).

Any other issues you find, make a post in the Issues board about them so I can fix them when I am able to.

Last edited:
Does someone have a link to the JP site!? I've seen reference to it a few times today but no link. Of course... If I make my account then I might be held responsible for doing even more for DOA here.... Maybe I shouldn't know. I'll get so behind in school and work....

Hello everyone!

Six years ago today, I set out with @virtuaPAI and @The HuBBs to create a Dead or Alive forum that could help spread the word about the depth of Dead or Alive. I'm happy to be sitting here six years later reflecting on how far we have come as a community. We took this series from average tournament entrant numbers of fourteen (high of thirty) to an average entrant number of sixty (high of ninety-eight). It would be a severe understatement to say we have had little growth since the days of Dead or Alive 4 and the Championship Gaming Series. Of course, we couldn't have grown so much without the help from everyone at Team NINJA and tournament organizers such as Eric "Big E" Smalls and Larry "Shin Blanka" Dixon.

In addition to the growth of our own local scene, the global community has grown even more. In the year of 2015 alone, we had two tournament events that featured players from across the oceans meeting together to compete. The Dead or Alive FESTIVAL in Japan drew over 300 attendees for it's first event, showing the growing community in Japan as the Top 16 was split up between competitive players from Taiwan, Korea, Japan, America, Australia, and the Netherlands. At the Battle Royal 2016 finals North East Championships 16, I was given the opportunity to discuss with Teru Rock and JC Akira about the DOA Japan Community. Here in the United States, it was widely believed that the two communities are very different. However, from my discussions it appears that the communities are actually very much the same. Working with Teru Rock and @EMPEROR_COW, Free Step Dodge has gone international. I have set up a permanent site for Japanese and Asian players to be given the chance to grow their communities like we have. I look forward to seeing their growth now that they have their own Free Step Dodge to enjoy.

Lastly, I have completed some minor updates to the styles of the site. These include updating the site logo, creating some new banner images for you all to enjoy (provided by the Free Step Dodge members themselves), and providing the ability for the navigation bar to be always on the page when scrolling through those long discussions everyone enjoys.

I hope you all continue to help one another as we take our journey to grow this community together. We've done an amazing job so far, and I look forward to seeing what I get to reflect on in the coming years.

~Matt

wearefighters.png
HAPPY B~DAY!!! & MORE IMPORTANTLY...Thank You Matt...Thank You for Everything. If it wasn't for Your Hard~Work, Patience, Determination, & Overall~Constant~Faith in THIS~Game, as Well as in THIS~Community, I Would have NEVER been able to Work w/ & Become Close w/ ALL The~Wonderful~Honourable~Humble Fighters/People that THIS~Community is Full of & has to offer!!! Since Discovering DOA in September of 2013 (after being Injured in a Martial~Art Tournament & NOT being able to Physically Walk for the next 2 yrs), I Have been Overwhelmed w/ How I was Welcomed~Loved~Accepted~Supported by THIS~Community...& Free~Step~Dodge was GRRREATLY Responsible for THAT! DOA is THE 1st Game that I EVER Played online (& I was an Arcade~Cabinet SSF/MK/KI/Samurai~Showdown Tournament Player)...Since Discovering DOA/Free~Step~Dodge/& THIS~Community...I Have NEVER Looked Back!!! So, Thank You Once~Again, Matt Ponton/Mr. Wah for EVERYTHING, As Well As, The~Positive~Effect that IT Has Had...on My~Life~Spirit~Soul. W/ Positive & Healthy Love, Light, Health, Protection, & Grrreat Dharma/Kharma...XIE~XIE~NI, WEI~WU~WEI, WO~AI~NI...*bows to Shifu/Sensei* AMITUOFO & OSU My~Grrreat~Friend!!! ;) :p <3 __/l\__

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD