Free Step movement speed nerfs

WAZAAAAA

(click for higher quality)

yellow Jann Lee = DOA5
blue Jann Lee = DOA6
the clip is a 6 meters race

Team Ninja out there nerfing movement speed. Blocking with 7 (and 1) got a huge nerf and it was my favorite way to block, I'm very butthurt, please make free stepping great again.

Last edited:
Reactions: YEH

Jack

Or you can use H but this game's so unfinished that holding H and then landing an BB or a Throw will land a Punch instead

WAZAAAAA

wow it's like everyone besides me is stoned what are the odds?

Can't have good FSD and a broken SS system. Pick your poison.
free stepping didn't avoid jack shit already because everything in DOA has like infinite homing, and now we can't even move around the map freely? On top of that getting Striked during a backdash is STILL Counter Hit lmao please no movement allowed

Or you can use H but this game's so unfinished that holding H and then landing an BB or a Throw will land a Punch instead
that makes perfect sense and works better than DOA5 did bruh wtf

guess I can't expect a degenerate Leifang tierwhore main to care about movement in a 3D fighter lmao

yeah lee's move speed like be fucked lol

might be balanced for his CH juggles(4KKP CH 3346P)
EVERY character has paraplegic speed on 1/3/7/9 free stepping, this is not a Jann Lee exclusive

NightAntilli

guess I can't expect a degenerate Leifang tierwhore main to care about movement in a 3D fighter lmao
Seriously? The fact that you think I picked Leifang because she's high tier already says how much you really know about me.

In any case... The whole diagonal walkback thing was always out of place anyway. It's the lazy person's way of defense, requiring little skill. At least a well timed free step dodge deserves some praise, unlike simply holding a button.
So in other words, I DO care about movement in a 3D fighter. Especially if it's overused garbage that hurts general gameplay.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
CH for back dashing definitely sucks and you get stunned for it. Would be cool to make it a NH stun without the CH if TN doesn't like people back stepping for trying to avoid wake up kicks during long recovery for putting them in the ground in the first place lol. But eh, it is what it is.

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

In any case... The whole diagonal walkback thing was always out of place anyway. It's the lazy person's way of defense, requiring little skill. At least a well timed free step dodge deserves some praise, unlike simply holding a button.
So in other words, I DO care about movement in a 3D fighter. Especially if it's overused garbage that hurts general gameplay.
Ah yes, I remember the hordes of complaints about the overpowering oblique free step movement being skilless and out of place. Said no one ever in the history of ever.

Behave yourself. Don't make me send you to bed without your milk.
please don't go off-topic "moderator"

NightAntilli

Ah yes, I remember the hordes of complaints about the overpowering oblique free step movement being skilless and out of place. Said no one ever in the history of ever.
I'm quite sure many thought about it but never complained about it, because, well, DOA has many issues and many were more important than that one in particular.

So... Let me ask you this. How does this reduction in movement speed make the game mechanics and/or gameplay worse?

Brute

Standard Donor
Hold 7 movement should be slow as long as it retains its guard property.

Remove the guard properties on backwards movement, speed it up and you might get closer to that movement everyone thinks is so fun in Soul Calibur.

Radiance

Unpopular opinion; i'm kind of glad it's gone. Pretty sure Rig and Jann Lee were the only ones with that insane walk back speed.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Unpopular opinion; i'm kind of glad it's gone. Pretty sure Rig and Jann Lee were the only ones with that insane walk back speed.

No, its a real problem. Because they nerfed characters like Bayman with his backwalk as well, which was already garbage tier. It was a universal nerf, not a targeted one. Characters like him required backwalk retreats because his backdash is bad, and his KBD doesn't really exist. And if he tries, he just gets counter-hit. His movement is now so bad, in fact, that for the first time in 15 years I'm actually forced to substitute him entirely for grand finals matches as he simply cannot do what he needs to in order to win.

Jann Lee had a strong backwalk because that was literally his gimmick. You may notice he's not exactly top tier in other areas.

GarryJaune

I didn't like this universal nerf at first ,spacing feels not as smooth as DOA5
but now I have adapted it lol

ps:they nerfed rig too?really?I feel rig can still move fast lol

WAZAAAAA

Movement, something nearly useless in DOA gets toned down even more and people are actually happy. I'm gonna be honest I didn't expect to see such reactions HERE, I was like, hey wow here's a cool GIF add it to the pile of bs but no apparently this is fine lmfao?

So... Let me ask you this. How does this reduction in movement speed make the game mechanics and/or gameplay worse?
Nerfing a defensive/movement option that opens up (skillful) whiff punishment/dodging... in order to make the game more YOLO in-your-face offensive based.
I mean alright I guess it's no secret that they've been trying to make the game easier to play, it was in the interviews (see Fatal Rush), and every developer in the genre is doing it, but they didn't have to go this far lol.

Hold 7 movement should be slow as long as it retains its guard property.

Remove the guard properties on backwards movement, speed it up and you might get closer to that movement everyone thinks is so fun in Soul Calibur.
Different designs, free stepping doesn't make the opponent strikes go off-axis because everything in DOA has like infinite homing on startups, the opposite of SC where 8-way-run DOES actually avoid stuff.
Blocking with "free step 7" comes with its disadvantages already:
- input conflicts inhibiting you from using your fastest strike (5P) to name one move
- especially weak to lows. Going into "free step 1" without bothering to press H puts you in the weakest possible state which is vulnerable to highs AND mids cause CH

Nah man, I just picked a random character for the GIF. The direct comparison with DOA6 highlights how huge the nerf has been.
It's true though that not all free step speeds are created equal (see the VF guests).

@Rikuto my G you can speed up a bit the 7 movement by tapping H as briefly as possible every 21 frames max (aka the duration of the "big initial free step"), Brad Wong style. It's busywork and stupid clunky but it's something, did another clip to compare the two:

(click for higher quality)

ps:they nerfed rig too?really?I feel rig can still move fast lol
Taekwondo practitioner Rig moves slower than a tetraplegic going backwards with his wheelchair.
It almost looks like he's faking it, very silly looking animation try it lol.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Different designs, free stepping doesn't make the opponent strikes go off-axis because everything in DOA has like infinite homing on startups, the opposite of SC where 8-way-run DOES actually avoid stuff.
you might get closer
Obviously, other work would be necessary to make it work right. I just kinda expect that thoroughly hard work is a prerequisite for good game design, so it comes with the territory.

Blocking with "free step 7" comes with its disadvantages already:
- input conflicts inhibiting you from using your fastest strike (5P) to name one move
- especially weak to lows. Going into "free step 1" without bothering to press H puts you in the weakest possible state which is vulnerable to highs AND mids cause CH
Why don't we make an advancing guard? Its input would also "inhibit" you from using a neutral jab, and it could also be weak to lows.
The answer is because it's dumb. Now, if you're so rapt with archaic 2D mechanics that the idea of abandoning a retreating guard altogether seems unfathomable, I'd be willing to entertain the suggestion of integrating some optional form of guard retreat that doesn't come at the explicit cost of free movement with reasonable speed. But honestly, with proper movement speed in all directions, I don't see any reason to force such an antiquated mechanic in.

WAZAAAAA

2D didn't even cross my mind kek, but it's cool that DOA gives you both options. People being driven away by mandatory block button is a thing.

Why don't we make an advancing guard? It's input would also "inhibit" you from using a neutral jab, and it could also be weak to lows.
The answer is because it's dumb.
lolwut
the answer is because moving forward=offensive and moving back=defensive

The game punishes defense so badly already...
getting striked while back dashing = Counter Hit (or Hi Counter depending on the DOA)
getting striked while forward dashing = Neutral Hit lmfao

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD