GameSpot: DOA5 Impressions from the Press Event in San Francisco

There's a lot of new buzz going around due to the recent Ninja Gaiden 3 and Dead or Alive 5 press event that happened yesterday in San Francisco, California. There's also been a lot of confusion on reports based on this new buzz. Unfortunately, Team NINJA stated they did not want high level players at this event to give their immediate feedback so we'll have to just try to decipher what all the reports are saying. However, GameSpot has put up a nice video talking about their impressions. The video can be found here, but below will be the list of features and gameplay changes made to the game mentioned in the video:

• The cliff feature has a QTE event that the one falling off can use to catch on and get back up.
  • After catching the ledge, the attacking player has the option to either do an attack or a throw while the falling player gets back up. The attacker can decide either, but the falling player only has the options to either block the attack or dodge the throw.
  • The player had to be knocked into a certain section of the wall in order for it to fall down and it may not happen all the time. Hayashi didn't say if it would be an option that can be toggled on or off.
  • The holds are a 3 point hold system for weaker holds, and a 4 point "advanced hold" called "expert holds".
  • Some holds allow for a launching attack, making it easy to follow-up a juggle. Unclear which type of holds do this but most likely the "expert" holds.
  • The player can sidestep like the new Soul Calibur 5 but it didn't seem as useful as there were a lot of horizontal attacks.
  • There will be a tag mode.
  • The power attacks have a delay if you start up, not much reach, and a very high delay if you whiff.
  • You can cancel the power attack charge up by side stepping or continue the charge to delay it.
  • Most of the power attacks strike at mid level.
  • The power attacks can be blocked, and the attacker is in put into a heavy disadvantage if blocked.
  • Environment debris can stun you if you're not careful.

KX1gU.jpg

Damn, I can't slow escape and hold block anymore. The QTE seems ok, the attacker isn't getting screwed.

Edit: Maybe I can still slow escape and still block, the characters I play with don't suffer from accidental parries/holds when slow escaping.

i wonder how the throws are guna be like.. DOAD has no breakable throws and punish throw is 7 frames... hold system is better then just 3 point however expert holds for just mid p and k? so stun high launcher?! haha can't wait to get my ninja grip on this games throat ^.^

With Expert holds for only mid P and K they have scope for character individuality where hold/grapple characters can have extra advanced holds such as Lei Fang and Bayman.

Based on the poor knowledge of the player, the sidestep is still an unknown factor. This is the other element I'm most keen to find out about.

I don't think the expert hold is only for mid P and K, I'm guessing its double direction, which explains why in the TGS video we saw Busa do 2 variations of a high counter hold.

There's a lot of new buzz going around due to the recent Ninja Gaiden 3 and Dead or Alive 5 press event that happened yesterday in San Francisco, California. There's also been a lot of confusion on reports based on this new buzz. Unfortunately, Team NINJA stated they did not want high level players at this event to give their immediate feedback so we'll have to just try to decipher what all the reports are saying. However, GameSpot has put up a nice video talking about their impressions. The video can be found here, but below will be the list of features and gameplay changes made to the game mentioned in the video:

• The cliff feature has a QTE event that the one falling off can use to catch on and get back up.
  • After catching the ledge, the attacking player has the option to either do an attack or a throw while the falling player gets back up. The attacker can decide either, but the falling player only has the options to either block the attack or dodge the throw.
  • The player had to be knocked into a certain section of the wall in order for it to fall down and it may not happen all the time. Hayashi didn't say if it would be an option that can be toggled on or off.
  • The holds are a 3 point hold system for weaker holds, and a 4 point "advanced hold" called "expert holds".
  • Some holds allow for a launching attack, making it easy to follow-up a juggle. Unclear which type of holds do this but most likely the "expert" holds.
  • The player can sidestep like the new Soul Calibur 5 but it didn't seem as useful as there were a lot of horizontal attacks.
  • There will be a tag mode.
  • The power attacks have a delay if you start up, not much reach, and a very high delay if you whiff.
  • You can cancel the power attack charge up by side stepping or continue the charge to delay it.
  • Most of the power attacks strike at mid level.
  • The power attacks can be blocked, and the attacker is in put into a heavy disadvantage if blocked.
  • Environment debris can stun you if you're not careful.

http://i.imgur.com/KX1gU.jpg
Hey, would it be alright if I shared these on SRK alongside the GameSpot video (with a link-back to FSD off course?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD