Community Gootecks Gives a Top 5 Tips for Attending Your First Tournament

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
As we continue going through Team NINJA's Battle Royal tournament circuit, there will continue to be new players at each event. Ryan "Gootecks" Gutierrez released a video today going over his top five tips to those players who are looking to step over from the online world and into the offline world. It's an interesting list of tips, and from my personal experience I would agree with them being valuable. Have a watch when you get the chance.

Also, if you're looking for more tips and advice for your first tournament (or local meetup), be sure to check out @CyberEvil 's Tournament Newbie Help Thread and @J.D.E. 's "Why should I go to tournaments?" thread

KING JAIMY

These tips are really useful!

Here are the tips for those who aren't bothered / too lazy to watch the whole video:

#5: Have a positive attitude.
#4: Get there early (i.e. at the tournament venue).
#3: Bring the right equipment.
#2: Eat 'light' throughout the day (i.e. don't eat food that is hard to digest before the tourney starts).
#1: Record your matches.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Actually, to everyone that saying that he forgot about hygiene in this list: It's because he already covered it in a previous video, during the week of EVO 2014.

KING JAIMY

Actually, to everyone that saying that he forgot about hygiene in this list: It's because he already covered it in a previous video, during the week of EVO 2014.

When exactly did he talk about hygiene in that video? He didn't, as far as I know.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
Lol. The comments are so funny. Don't make fun of the guy because he didn't take a shower before recording.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I agree with everything except #2.

I was always taught that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I never in all my tourney visits had this food coma eating a well-balanced meal. I function just fine eating that way - if not a lot better - than I would if I ate light.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I agree with everything except #2.

I was always taught that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I never in all my tourney visits had this food coma eating a well-balanced meal. I function just fine eating that way - if not a lot better - than I would if I ate light.

Actually an old school tactic is to load up on sugar so your reflexes get better due to anxiousness and twitch responsiveness.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Actually an old school tactic is to load up on sugar so your reflexes get better due to anxiousness and twitch responsiveness.
So I'd have pancakes/waffles with syrup and coffee/espresso as part of the meal, with some kind of sugar-flavored cereal with juice as the alternative... no problem.

As long as I don't overindulge for seconds, I should be full enough, but still willing to eat after the tourney.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD