DOA5U Guard Breaks - How To Use Them

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Here is my take on the guard breaks.

1. :6::P+K: 13 frame animation
Pros:
:5: Fast and guarantees a :4::6::P: follow up.
:5: Fast and guarantees a :6_: :P: follow up. This allows you to start a string to lead to a CB.
:5: Fast and guarantees a :6::6::P: follow up. This allows you to start a string to lead to a CB.
Cons:
:5: Does not stun opponent if they're not in a guard. Leaves you open to attack.

2. :2::P+K: 16 frame animation
Pros:
:5: It's a mid
:5: Closes gaps. Use against opponents who are against the walls, follow up with :6_::P: only
Cons:
:5: Does not stun opponent if they're not in a guard. Leaves you open to attack.
:5: No guaranteed follow up attack if opponent is in open space.

3. :236::P+K: 17 frame animation
Pros:
:5: Opener for GBoD.
:5: Does more damage on hit than #1 and #2.
:5: Crouches under high attacks.
:5: Whether the attack lands on a guard or not, you're safe to recover.

Cons:
:5: Your only option is to finish the GBoD combo because you won't have time for any other attacks before their recovery.
:5: GBoD can be screwed up.

4. :P+K: after side stepping in one of the 3 moves:
a. :3::H+K:, :P:, (:8: or :2:)
b. :2::H+K:, :P:, (:8: or :2:)
c. :4::3::P:, (:8: or :2:)
Pros:
:5: Can be used to reset the strike threshold on block or hit.
:5: Good setup for GBoD

Cons:
:5: Can be interrupted with attacks if not deep into a combo string.

5. :4::6::[[p+k]]:
Pros:
:5: Can follow up with :P:
:5: Good to use on opponent wake up
:5: Wall splats with or without full charge

Cons:
:5: Needs to be fully charged to GB and it is one hell of a telegraph

Last edited:

Dat Nyucah

Put your opponent in situations where they are most likely to guard. The times I use them are perhaps after short stuns, blocking small to medium disadvantaged moves, hitting your opp. with 2P/ P, after 4P+G, and after force techs.

Bakano

The thing is they can always "guess" and counter you. Some people don't block they just counter instead which is the reason why this game is a gamble 90% of the time.To answer your question, you should try it after a force tech. End your combos with moves that force them to get up, most ppl block after that. Just remember in Dead or Alive ppl don't have to block and that's why i stopped playing it and play SCV instead. STUPID COUNTERS GOTTA GO!!!

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
So, the more that I use :2::P+K:, the more I find that it's total crap. Can anyone express a situation where it would be used over :6: :P+K:?

Dat Nyucah

So, the more that I use :2::P+K:, the more I find that it's total crap. Can anyone express a situation where it would be used over :6: :P+K:?

The only advantage it has over :6: :P+K: is range... so if you're near a wall and you believe that :6: :P+K: will whiff, use :2: :P+K:. Even though all you can get is :P::K: for a wall hit, and the :K: isn't even guaranteed. Because of this, you may be more willing to do dash :6: :P+K: for better follow-up options. I like to do :2_::4::6::P:. You have to buffer the crouch though via a crouch dashing input.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
After much trial and error on how to set up the GBoD, I've found that the 2 moves below are the best set up moves.

1. :6: :P+K:
2. :6::6: :P+K:, :H+P:, :h:

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I know that this move can be very intimidating: :236::P+K:, :4::3::P+K:, :236::P:, :4::6: :P+K:

But I can't stress enough how important it is to learn it. 80 points of guaranteed damage is insane. On top of that, it makes the opponent afraid to block. That opens up a chain of attacks.

I can honestly say that I've invested about 12 hours of my life to simply executing that move. Once I got it down on a blocking dummy, I worked the move into a string of set ups. I tried to make as many frantic short window situations so that muscle memory can kick in rather than having to think about it. If I failed just once, I started over again until I got through all 10 situations. Then I did it on the opposite side.

Ghosty-J

I pretty much have GBoD down pat from the left side (yet a little more tricky online), but I can never for the life of me pull it off from the right. I hate when that kind of thing happens DX I should definitely incorporate it into my game and start using it more.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Bumping this thread so it's easier to find for someone I was coaching last night.

SweetSauceBoss

Just curious, is 3P (or the downed punch) guaranteed after GBoD? It seems like the opponent can't tech roll or do anything to avoid it. If so, an extra 12pts. of guaranteed damage after 80pts. of guaranteed damage is pretty dope.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Just curious, is 3P (or the downed punch) guaranteed after GBoD? It seems like the opponent can't tech roll or do anything to avoid it. If so, an extra 12pts. of guaranteed damage after 80pts. of guaranteed damage is pretty dope.
If they choose to wake up kick, yes, you'll score a down punch. If they tech up, you're caught with your pants down.

Lulu

Theres Something weird about Akira's GBoD input.... specifically the 2nd and 3rd part of the String.
:236::P+K::5::4::3::P+K::5::236::P::5::4::6::P+K:

It seems like the 2nd Part will still work if you simply input it like:3::P+K:...... the same goes for the 3rd part aswell.... I got it too work just by pressing :6::P: instead......... and thats as far as I got. :(

It would be nice to take advantage of the leniency of the inputs to get it work...... makes me wonder why they went through the trouble of making it impractical in the first place if they just going to place tiny shortcuts in there.

LoL..... I just found out what "GBoD" means. :oops:

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Theres Something weird about Akira's GBoD input.... specifically the 2nd and 3rd part of the String.
:236::P+K::5::4::3::P+K::5::236::P::5::4::6::P+K:

It seems like the 2nd Part will still work if you simply input it like:3::P+K:...... the same goes for the 3rd part aswell.... I got it too work just by pressing :6::P: instead......... and thats as far as I got. :(

It would be nice to take advantage of the leniency of the inputs to get it work...... makes me wonder why they went through the trouble of making it impractical in the first place if they just going to place tiny shortcuts in there.

LoL..... I just found out what "GBoD" means. :oops:
Watch your inputs on the bottom of the screen. Chances are, you may think you're just hitting 3P+K, but you're most likely fat fingering in a 4 before you get to 3.

Lulu

Watch your inputs on the bottom of the screen. Chances are, you may think you're just hitting 3P+K, but you're most likely fat fingering in a 4 before you get to 3.

That is highly likely..... especially considering that I genuinely do have Fat Fingers...... and I was using the Thumb Stick.

You know if the initial move was alil bit slower then the whole string would be much easier to perform.... its always the 2nd part that trips me up.

I prefer Akira's :P+K::5::4::3::F:.... well...I don't necessarily prefer it... I just like it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD