Hitbox controllers

Should Hitboxes be allowed for DOA tournaments?

• Total voters

riceman789

So i saw this video where this guy is using a hitbox and he discusses about Rapid Stepping backwards and forward. Obviously we all know that most of cast have a RSF than a RSB. Some people think that this device should be banned and some say that they don't mind. EVO ban this is in which my opinion think its kinda silly. For me I'm fine with it, I in fact would even pick one of these up and use it. But what do you guys think?

Here's the Video:

ILYA✰

Good for 2D fighters imo but not for games like doa... Obviously the game isn't supposed to be played like that... Lol :D

franman

I'm actually looking forward to purchasing one that is compatible w/ both PS3 and Xbox360 in the future when it comes along with a batch of new HBFS buttons.

For my thoughts... ya I was like ILYA I would've thought the Hitbox would be meant for 2D fighting games mainly due to the big button at the bottom that was usually thought-off as jumping. Even back then there were a lot of Youtube vid tutorials that were based on 2D fighting games.

So I was skeptical at first but then after playing the control pad for so many years since the beginning of my life I finally grew fad up having my fingers travelling to another button as well as making common errors is really starting to irritate me.

I also had 2 years of experience with the arcade stick and what's better than the control pad is the button layout. The stick is the only problem. So that's where I begin to think back of the Hitbox and what sold me is that your fingers are already at the ready, almost each finger for each button. Recently there are enough vids proven to me that it has good support for 3D fighters.

So I'm willing to take the risk, I'm willing to venture and find what's best for me in terms of timing and accuracy; I hope the Hitbox will the peripheral that gets the most out of me.

MasterHavik

I'm going to check if Zack can do this. This will be a nightmare on pad. Good thing I got a sega saturn controller.:)

How do I change my vote? I answered the wrong question. LoL. My mind was like, should they be 'banned', not should they be allowed.

d3v

RSB is just as easy with a stick as it is with a Hit Box. In fact, one of the first vids of RSF was by me, doing it on a stick. Only reason the Hit Box guys picked up on it was because I asked them to.

DR2K

I see nothing wrong with them. They aren't cheating with inputs or altering the game in any way.

Mr. T

My xbox copy hasn't arrived yet (running frustratingly late that order is). But i to, do this with the ps3 controller. However although indeed possible on a regular controller, a hitbox gives you so much more precise control. You can't really punish with any efficiency doing this on a regular controller. I'd really like one of these. I've always felt like keyboards are actually superior in fighting games.

Also in my opinion, any peripheral that decreases input time is a good thing in any game. As long as it uses the same control scheme e.g. up/down, X amount of buttons (no macros) an so fourth then the legality of such a device should not even be up for discussion. That's how i feel. I realize this becomes troublesome for those who for whatever reason does not wish to use said device even though it's a better input device. It's the good ol' causal/hardcore debate, if a game requires learning to use a new 200$ controller to play competitively then of course player base will decline. Also we already have fighting sticks. They're of course legal, even though they offer a major advantage over regular joypads.

Tenren

EVO didnt ban the hitbox this year. I use a homemade hit box. On that Ive been trying to find an easy way to input the izuna. The raijin on the other hand is pretty easy now

Mr. T

this isn't the korean backdash it's a new thing. Watch the video, the speed you can get is really ridicules and you guard is up half the time. I'm using it I'll readily admit it but I don't know if it's a glitch or not :eek:.​

Madian

In the end it's not a problem with the hitbox. It's a problem, if anyone, with a bug in the game. Poll should be fixed.

Ooobe

I voted no. Simply put, I think it's a superior input device and won't result in "fair" matches.

franman

I admit that when I saw how affective this machine will be in terms of execution I was afraid it maybe considered a ban but if it's all due to some extra functionality assuming because of the individual buttons for each direction then there maybe a counter-argument for that.

The counter-argument I could think of is the control pad that comes with both the d-pad and left analogue stick. Both can be used in conjunction with movement.

So the point is if ppl are banning Hitbox because of the extra functionality then shouldn't they also ban any gamepads with analogue sticks as well? If not how much is too much for extra functionality I mean you can assign extra attack buttons to take advantage as well.

Ooobe

I admit that when I saw how affective this machine will be in terms of execution I was afraid it maybe considered a ban but if it's all due to some extra functionality assuming because of the individual buttons for each direction then there maybe a counter-argument for that.

The counter-argument I could think of is the control pad that comes with both the d-pad and left analogue stick. Both can be used in conjunction with movement.

So the point is if ppl are banning Hitbox because of the extra functionality then shouldn't they also ban any gamepads with analogue sticks as well? If not how much is too much for extra functionality I mean you can assign extra attack buttons to take advantage as well.
I don't see how you can use the analog stick, the d-pad and the buttons at the same time, unless my hands are built funny.
edit - okay - maybe you could, but it would be awkward in the extreme and take a unique talent to be effective, which the hitbox doesn't require.

franman

Ya it is awkward for but I did take advantage of both analogue and d-pad in Soul Calibur 4 for a certain character I use. But it really depends on the person's comfort of utilizing it.

Point is if you're banning Hitbox because of extra functionality regardless of how it is positioned then why not pads with analogue sticks and to what point is extra functionality too much when we also are permitted to assign extra attacks to extra buttons.

d3v

The Hit Box is designed to filter out simultaneous opposing cardinal directions (or SOCDs). If I recall correctly, hitting 4 and 6 gives you 5 and 2 and 8 gives you 8 all the time.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD