Characters Holy Moses, how do you people do it??

Almowashere

I was doing great playing as Bass until I hit C- rank. Now I am not able to throw anything. My game has changed, from a grappler to a striker. I'm usually on the defensive and never feel like I'm dictating the match

If I can figure out how to get my matches from my PS4 here I'd love to get feedback.

I use p + k a lot, especially when my opponent refuses to stop punching (looking a Christie)

What I really need....more vids from the experienced players. That ,and a healthy discussion on how to get a throw game on , when your opponent refuses to hold or stop striking (punches and/or kicks )

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Sounds like you reached intermediate bass. You have to. Change to strike based at that level especially online

Almowashere

I figured that was the case, but why give Bass a great throw game that he can never use? The other problem is w p+k being the only jab fast enough to interrupt. The smarter players are either expecting this and holding or SS and keeping the barrage going.....very frustrating. ...

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You have to condition them into holding, or upping your defense to take advantage of what strings you're defending from. At that level you have to teach them to hold your strings so you can begin throwing them. At that point you don't start off at neutral anymore, you start off at disadvantage. So it's about weathering the storm, landing a counter hit with P+K or 2P then going into a juggle as soon as you can to keep them in his Ground Throw option select and made solid reads with throws or 6P.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Petty much what Wah said.

If you want to use your throws, you need to properly condition the other player take your strike/throw mix up. Offensive holds are okay, but that's mostly for forcing someone to duck or try to throw you so you hit them for massive damage.

Another way of using your throws is to block punish. Throw punishing online even with a good connection is hard. Bass is much better in an offline environment, but if you can throw punish more than half of the moves you block, you can kill any character in this game because you've already used :6::h::+::P: and anyone who says their character has magical buttons to avoid the coming mix ups is ignorant of how they can be completely raped.

Pro-tip: against Christie, press :6::P: after :6::h::+::P: to stop all of her non-:214::P: options. Against Helena :1::P: stops all post-punish button presses.

Remember that against the regular speedy gonzales you can afford to make an average of five mistakes while your opponent needs to make only three.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
If it helps you feel any better, I generally get stuck at the A range rank when I do bother to play online.

Almowashere

Im fubard....I cannot stop Hitomi s mid lunge punch, nyogengus mid strikes, or hayates ss stuff to save my life. Without being able to punish throw my hame is hosed :(

Almowashere

Ok
...You guys were right. 6T (6+p+h) helps a lot. Still losing to peeps like Brad, but not having a hard a time w Hayate now

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I find it hard to believe you are having issues w a ranked Mr Wah, I have seen and studied your vids, you have mad skills

It's online. Online is the death of Bass. You can't throw and no one will ever guard since attacking is much more advantaged when a -8 attack ends up being +2 or -3 in practice (online).

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I would strongly suggest not concentrating on playing an online Bass as you can end up feeling discouraged for things which are out of your control and you end up developing some bad habits.

Ok
...You guys were right. 6T (6+p+h) helps a lot. Still losing to peeps like Brad, but not having a hard a time w Hayate now
Brad can be caught by low OHs a lot especially in between his while rising kicks. He's also very very unsafe in general outside of a few obvious strikes. Study those and you won't have any problems with the match up.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Still losing to peeps like Brad

Two things: 3K and 2h+p. Bass is one of the few characters that can punish Brads 236p or running p with 2h+p , which online Brads like to do to get in since in most cases he's safe with a mixup after it against attacks. And because of the GB you can react mash 2h+p in even some rather unhealthy lag. 3k is a good range poker that's -6 and if connecting on a crouched Brad it guarantees 33p into juggle os.

you can end up feeling discouraged for things which are out of your control and you end up developing some bad habits.
This. Online has fucked up my game more than helped. Offline I use string enders of 3k too often and I lose my perfect timing combo throws.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Two things: 3K and 2h+p. Bass is one of the few characters that can punish Brads 236p or running p with 2h+p , which online Brads like to do to get in since in most cases he's safe with a mixup after it against attacks. And because of the GB you can react mash 2h+p in even some rather unhealthy lag. 3k is a good range poker that's -6 and if connecting on a crouched Brad it guarantees 33p into juggle os.

I won't recommend :3::K: personally since Brad has enough crush options to go underneath it. :6::K: is a better candidate though early round lay down stance from Brad can be a 50/50 if you don't start moving away once you see him laying down.

However, your suggestions against online Brads are sound for that particular environment.

This. Online has fucked up my game more than helped. Offline I use string enders of 3k too often and I lose my perfect timing combo throws.

There's a good reason why I've been so adamant of playing this game offline for the past two years. This way, I don't worry about missing my punishment and every mistake I make would be my own fault. That way I can better improve myself.

Almowashere

You mention perfect timing combo throws...does the initial throw count? If yes, it sounds as if we should be buffering in a throw while they are still in critical stun. Offline I can do this, but offline its hit or miss for me....

Almowashere

I won't recommend :3::K: personally since Brad has enough crush options to go underneath it. :6::K: is a better candidate though early round lay down stance from Brad can be a 50/50 if you don't start moving away once you see him laying down.

However, your suggestions against online Brads are sound for that particular environment.

There's a good reason why I've been so adamant of playing this game offline for the past two years. This way, I don't worry about missing my punishment and every mistake I make would be my own fault. That way I can better improve myself.
I will try this tonight. ..ty U.K.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
You mention perfect timing combo throws...does the initial throw count? If yes, it sounds as if we should be buffering in a throw while they are still in critical stun. Offline I can do this, but offline its hit or miss for me....

The initial throw attempt for the first part can be done in any non strike situation anyway, so it's just the timing for the combo throws so that your opponent doesn't break it before you get the opportunity to do your followup.

Keep in mind that is mostly for cases where you can make a combo throw unbreakable if you input the throw attempt at the first possible opportunity you get. If you and your opponent press the throw buttons on the same frame, you still win, thus making the chain throw unbreakable.

Almowashere

Finally figured out how to upload matches.

I am a struggling Bass player and will post my wins and loses in an effort to educate myself

Comments welcome

I feel like Bass online is a one trick pony...if not for the hell stab, he'd be a dead duck. Ive had matches where I couldn't even get a move out due to the onslaught. This with futile attempts at stagger escaping. ...

Last edited by a moderator:

WAZAAAAA

I'm not a Bass player, but you should use offensive holds much more man, especially when you're at frame advantage (after a ground pickup for example).
Just in case you didn't know, an OH can land DURING the enemy's strike.

6K is your fastest mid strike by the way, it can be followed by P which knocks the enemy down for a guaranteed pickup, or followed by K which is a low that stuns on normal hit.

Last edited:

Almowashere

Ty Wazaaaa, I will try in future matches. I never liked the 18 frame OH's despite the potential damage. They just seem too slow to execute. ..

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD