How should I use Gen Fu?

ThRiLLa1nMaNiLa

Generally speaking, what should be my mind set when using him?

My problems with him:
  • being mid countered a lot
  • being out punched by faster characters (people know his strings by heart)
  • moves whiff cause of his range
  • mobility
Additional question: Is he a defensive or offensive character? And any tips in match ups against other characters?

shunwong

I am not an expert but here are my recommendations:

1. Being mid countered a lot: Using non mid punch moves (like 1P or 9P, for example) and interrumping/being offbeat with mid punch strings. Also, always trying to land unholdable stuns (like the second P in 3PP)

2. Being out punched by faster characters. I wouldn't say he's slow. His jab is 10 frames I think and his 6P is 11 frames. Maybe you are not choosing his fastest moves?

3. Moves whiff cause of his range: With Gen Fu I like to be close to my opponent or at mid distance. 6P+K and 66P do not have bad range. 6P+K is good to punish whiffed wake up kicks. I think he's an offensive character. I try to stay on my opponent and take risks.

4. Mobility: I struggle with this too. Backdash is shit in DOA as compared to VF. I think moves like 7P or 7K (the one that flips him backwards, don't remember which one right now) are better for this purpose.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
Stick to 3K, P combos, 66T, 2T, 236T in between, juggle, especially if you see Holds. Go for a 3P, then Throw, or 3PP on CH if you think it's safe to a SDS then H+K into a juggle.

46P or 4PP to a 3P to pick them up

If you feel pressured, 7K or 4P or 5K or P+K or H+K

Use 16P randomly and in juggles more often, that wall damage is important

4P+K in a middle of a combo to a limbo stun, launch & juggle or 16P

Use these three at least once a round but not together, 8PP, 2K and (hold)1P+K

When you bounce them off the wall, (hold)3P and buffer into a 16P
Or
16P to bounce them off the wall and 16P again

Make H+K your failsafe move, and P+K, P, and P+K, 8P your secondary failsafe moves.

Use 1K and (hold)6K together, mix them up, follow up with 1K's P or K and (hold)6K's K, if you see Holds, Throw

44P guard break into a 8P or cancel into a throw

Use 2H+K, H+K, 33P together, but not in that order

Gen Fu is environmentally friendly, :) his Strikes & Throws are all-round, use the according strikes & throws that cause more damage with the environment. He has offensive power, but short range, play him defensively. Use your parries. Understand that his moves are very linear, but mostly lead into Stuns. You're always trying to trick your foe into a Throw if you're not trying to Juggle, while using 16P in between everything.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD