"I'll Play With You... Until You Break." Christie Gameplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Now that Christie's been confirmed playable and revealed at this year's Paris Games Week event with gameplay trailer in tow, we can officially start discussing and speculating about how she'll play in the upcoming sequel - Dead or Alive 6 - scheduled for release on February 15, 2019.

To kick things off as far as new moves go, let's observe what we know from her official reveal trailer:

At around the :26 mark, her Fatal Rush combo starts with what appears to be her 9p from previous games.

A couple of beatdowns later to the :37 mark, we see something a bit more interesting. After Christie uses her 66t near the wall on newcomer Diego which triggers an exploding dangerzone that launches him very high, Christie connects with her 7k backflip... but what's this? It doesn't flip out the opponent in midair, but instead refloats Diego? AND the 7k is followed up with a lunging attack similar to a forward tackle wakeup from the Tekken series? It looks like a potential new combo ender.

Finally, at the :46 mark, she appears to have a new throw that puts the opponent in crumple stun afterward. Doesn't appear to have much going for it in open space for a followup, but here's hoping the throw doesn't end in a wall splat near the wall.

Immediately after that, the footage cuts to her uber-stylish Break Blow before closing out the video with the title and release date reminder. (Sidenote: Look very closely at her Break Blow animation, and you'll see her right hand sparking as if were on fire, which is a subtle but nice touch!)

Unfortunately, there was little to go here on this footage to know whether she retains her Jakeiho stance from DOA5 or even her Dokuja-Fujin stance from DOA4. But time will tell. So what do you guys think? Will she get her stance from 5 back? Will she get her older one from 4? Or do you think she'll get a hybrid of both? Leave a comment and let's get started on the gameplay discussion!

img-christie.png

@Blackburry
@ULTIMa Ivanov
@Goarmagon
@Force_of_Nature
@E-Mann
@Einzelkind
@onelasttime
@d3v

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I hope Christie gets her Jakeiho back. Stance made the character tons of fun to play along with adding a lot of versatility in DOA5. Kind of nice to have a reset throw in open space (which resembles her Walled 66T); interested to see what it can lead too. 7K refloating is great too. If I'm not mistaken, Momiji's 7k, which is the same animation, can refloat opponents in DOA5LR. Her playstyle is likely going to be pretty similar to how she is in DOA5. I reckon focus around the neutral game, and close-range lockdown pressure from her in DOA6.

She's also looking great in DOA6 with that new look <3.

Reactions: d3v

Ted E. Bear

i find her 7p, 9p and 6h+k completely useless, so i hope those will get replaced (but i'm like 100% sure it won't happen). also, her jakeiho could really use a throw. pp2kt / 3p+kt / 2h+kt should be an oh but that would make her probably somewhat op i guess...

the costumes i would love to see are... basically everything from doa4 and her main costume from doa5.

in regards to the story mode, i really want to see her defeat helena like in doa3 (stfu christie won that fight) since doa4 and doa5 were not in her favor... also, her trailer really makes me think that she will take down bayman and not the other way around.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
You sure about 7P & 9P?

7P has a built in sidestep and two delayable follow-ups culminating with a launch after the 3rd hit. 7P is also a nice option in juggles after a Low-P hold. 9P initiates a good stun on NH, is reasonably fast at i14 and is a complete frame trap on block at +0. A nice tool to fish for a high stun or to place on an opponent's block thinking that you're at disadvantage. 6H+K is garbage and wouldn't mind if the move and input gets removed in DOA6.

Jakeiho doesn't need a throw because it already has a +guard break, lows within strings, and safe move enders. You can get a throw out of Jakeiho by performing JAK~44T.

Ted E. Bear

i don't know... that built-in sidestep has never worked for me that well (i'm not trying to be the special snowflake here...) and the follow up mostly gets punished. also, for the juggle after her low p hold i usually go for that 9K 4H+K P+K(back turned) KK Jakeiho PKP (clearly not against bass or bayman but you get the idea).

her stun game is really good, so most of her other tools work well for that, if not better than 9P.

of course, this is just what i think, i'm definitely not saying that you're wrong or anything. it's interesting to hear different opinions.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Sidestep in general can get stuffed easily in DOA5, which is made worse in online lag. Both 7P and 9P initiate good stuns on NH or CH. Are you sure that combo works consistently after a Low P Hold? Can't seem to get it to connect fully on a lightweight character. If I connect 9K as early as possible, 4H+K won't connect also. I prefer: 9K, 7P, 6K, PKK2K for solid damage. The thing with 9P is that it can cause a nosebleed stun on NH, and is +0 on block while being only i14. It's a solid high option to throw out if you have the opponent on the defensive. I admit that I favour strings in general, but 9P isn't to be discounted.

Dr PaC

Sidestep in general can get stuffed easily in DOA5, which is made worse in online lag. Both 7P and 9P initiate good stuns on NH or CH. Are you sure that combo works consistently after a Low P Hold? Can't seem to get it to connect fully on a lightweight character. If I connect 9K as early as possible, 4H+K won't connect also. I prefer: 9K, 7P, 6K, PKK2K for solid damage. The thing with 9P is that it can cause a nosebleed stun on NH, and is +0 on block while being only i14. It's a solid high option to throw out if you have the opponent on the defensive. I admit that I favour strings in general, but 9P isn't to be discounted.

Subbed ur channel btw.

Ted E. Bear

as soon as my new ps controller arrives i'm gonna upload proof of it that it works.
actually, we could settle this in the ring if you're down for that. :D

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
i don't know... that built-in sidestep has never worked for me that well (i'm not trying to be the special snowflake here...) and the follow up mostly gets punished. also, for the juggle after her low p hold i usually go for that 9K 4H+K P+K(back turned) KK Jakeiho PKP (clearly not against bass or bayman but you get the idea).

her stun game is really good, so most of her other tools work well for that, if not better than 9P.

of course, this is just what i think, i'm definitely not saying that you're wrong or anything. it's interesting to hear different opinions.

Christie's command step is considered crouching. You could be at -5 and throws will whiff the moment the step commences if you commence it during light negative situations. The universal SS is the one that can get slapped, but those normally get wounded from a move that either retracks, or you commenced a SS attack that removes your SS invulnerability if you stepped a string from the first hit while getting hit with the 2nd / follow ups after.

While both of the step options avoid linear moves, her command step has the benefit to avoiding throws while the universal step is normally weak to it. Always consider them slightly different from each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: d3v

d3v

Christie's command step is considered crouching. You could be at -5 and throws will whiff the moment the step commences if you commence it during light negative situations. The universal SS is the one that can get slapped, but those normally get wounded from a move that either retracks, or you commenced a SS attack that removes your SS invulnerability if you stepped a string from the first hit while getting hit with the 2nd / follow ups after.

While both of the step options avoid linear moves, her command step has the benefit to avoiding throws while the universal step is normally weak to it. Always consider them slightly different from each other.
These really distinguish her command step from regular sidesteps. That said, this is also what makes me worry about her command step - that TN might take it out because these still makes it a bit better than the new, buffed sidestep.

Dr PaC

These really distinguish her command step from regular sidesteps. That said, this is also what makes me worry about her command step - that TN might take it out because these still makes it a bit better than the new, buffed sidestep.

I dont think they would take it out. They left Hayate's intact so Im sure they wouldnt take Christie's away from her kit. It would kill her mix up options that are pretty vital for her survival in such a fast paced game. That would be as silly as Capcom taking away Zangief's green hand.........oh wait.....

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I dont think they would take it out. They left Hayate's intact so Im sure they wouldnt take Christie's away from her kit. It would kill her mix up options that are pretty vital for her survival in such a fast paced game. That would be as silly as Capcom taking away Zangief's green hand.........oh wait.....

It would be nice if they made certain command steps to be considered "standing" actually. It can condition players to use them more intelligently rather than using it as a crutch for everything and hope for the best because it avoids throws with minimum brain power. For characters such as Bayman, you can safe throw the situation and immediately 2T his tank roll because his recovery is pretty huge on it. This makes sense because it prevents Bayman for over using it in situations as a crutch. If you didn't go for the safe throw or you went with a tracking high and Bayman gets you, that's on you, but if you safe throw bits on his tank roll, that's on him.

Animation-wise, it would make sense for characters such as Bayman and Helena's duck because the character immediately goes into a crouch position. However Christie due to speed priority advantages doesn't suffer much from this situation, and animation-wise looks weird that it isn't considered standing, on top of that having follow ups that lead to HiC damage because you tried to play correctly on the reads. DOA is heavily Yomi based to an extension. Hayate on the other hand can be thrown from his command step which conditions the Hayate player to be more careful on using it while being at light disadvantage or at neutral.

As for having it removed from Christie, I somewhat have doubts as well, but if TN made the sane approach and if it comes back then they should make it considered standing so that it gets thrown to force Christie players to fuzzy under them more if they are aiming for the strong neutral game.

Last edited:

Dr PaC

It would be nice if they made certain command steps to be considered "standing" actually. It can condition players to use them more intelligently rather than using it as a crutch for everything and hope for the best because it avoids throws with minimum brain power. For characters such as Bayman, you can safe throw the situation and immediately 2T his tank roll because his recovery is pretty huge on it. This makes sense because it prevents Bayman for over using it in situations as a crutch. If you didn't go for the safe throw or you went with a tracking high and Bayman gets you, that's on you, but if you safe throw bits on his tank roll, that's on him.

Animation-wise, it would make sense for characters such as Bayman and Helena's duck because the character immediately goes into a crouch position. However Christie due to speed priority advantages doesn't suffer much from this situation, and animation-wise looks weird that it isn't considered standing, on top of that having follow ups that lead to HiC damage because you tried to play correctly on the reads. DOA is heavily Yomi based to an extension. Hayate on the other hand can be thrown from his command step which conditions the Hayate player to be more careful on using it while being at light disadvantage or at neutral.

As for having it removed from Christie, I somewhat have doubts as well, but if TN made the sane approach and if it comes back they should make it considered standing if they are aiming for the strong neutral game.

I always thought Christies was considered a crotch like Helena's since the animation did show her going low like you said. I figured thats why Sonicfox, Kwiggs and everyone abused it. I wouldnt mind seeing her command sidestep nerfed a bit but to remove it completely would hurt the character. I basically agree with you that it can be mindless tho

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I always thought Christies was considered a crotch like Helena's since the animation did show her going low like you said. I figured thats why Sonicfox, Kwiggs and everyone abused it. I wouldnt mind seeing her command sidestep nerfed a bit but to remove it completely would hurt the character. I basically agree with you that it can be mindless tho

Possibly part of that reason is why they'd use it somewhat yeah. I mean from another player's standpoint, throwing someone for stepping is a logical choice and a standard read that would be the same as any other 3D fighter in general because the player chose to sidestep rather than fuzzying under the throw or attacking again during light disadvantage. It just so happens that her command step is considered crouching so people would go nuts on the situation like:

"It was netplay"
"Lag, you avoided my throws while you sidestepped"

And it's moments like that where they probably haven't realized that particular step is considered crouching so we can't exactly blame the Christie player for this, but this wouldn't be a huge issue if it was considered standing in the first place. It's no one's fault honestly.

Marie Rose makes sense because her Minuet is considered jumping, so throws can go off axis with weakness to tracking moves mostly. (However you can still enable the throw when the move is about to be active before she jumps).

Bayman makes sense because his tank roll is considered crouching (true to the animation if we think about it). So high tracking moves and throws wouldn't work which is pretty fair for Bayman on the gameplay. Go for the tracking mid also stops tank roll, but Bayman has the option to parry, so both Bayman and the player are in a fair approach game here. If Bayman parries, he can get thrown etc etc.

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
It would be very interesting if they made her SS into the jakheiho(complete with the followups) and gave her that wierd stance from DOA4 in place of the command in DOA 5. but I would be very surprised if they left her alone in DOA6 with the way people bitched about her in 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD