"I'm no pushover sweetie." - The DOA5 Sarah General Discussion Thread

kupo

fsd_sarahbryant.png
This is Sarah's general discussion thread. I'll be updating this first post as we gather more information.​
Any help from you guys is appreciated off course.​
======================== NOTATIONS =======================
Icon - Designation - Short Notation
:P: - Punch - P
:K: - Kick - K
:F: - Free - F
:h: - Hold - H
:+: - Combination of Multiple Buttons - +
Press that Direction Once - Short Notation - Hold that Direction
:7: :8: :9: - 7 8 9 - :7_: :8_: :9_:
:4: :Link: :6: - 4 5 6 - :4_: :Link: :6_:
:1: :2: :3: - 1 2 3 - :1_: :2_: :3_:
For more information about DOA's notations, be sure to check FSD's Terminology wiki.

==================== CHARACTER OVERVIEW ==================
Who's Sarah Bryant?
Sarah Bryant is a character from Virtua Fighter series. She is known for her Flamingo Stance that is elegant but also dangerous. Check Sarah's FSD wiki page for more information.
Strengths:
She is known for dishing out kicks as fast as she can. Once in her Flamingo Stance, she can go high, mid or low which can confuse her opponents a bit. Her punches are also just as fast.
She has the ability to do a mixture or punches and kicks and she can also go into her Flamingo Stance after some of the mix ups to keep the pressure going.
Weaknesses:
Her strongest pokes are her mid kicks, if players tend to abuse these she can get countered rather easily.
Even though Sarah can counter mids in her Flamingo stance she can't block during it. That leaves her a bit vulnerable during this stance.
================ TRANSITION FROM VIRTUA FIGHTER =============
Overall, the character is pretty much the same as her VF5FS version with the addition of holds and a low throw. However, there were some changes that we'll go over.

Input Changes:
- Forward Slide = :6::6: :P::+::K:
- Step (from Flamingo Stance) = :1: :P::+::K:
- Moonsault = :9: :P::+::K:
- Switch Step = :8: :P::+::K:
The rest of her inputs are more or less identical.

Gameplay Changes:
- She has 3 sit down stuns that are only achieved on counter hit:
:4: :h::+::K: if set up right guarantees a Critical Burst
:P::+::K: sometimes pushes the opponent a bit far, guarantees a :6: :h::+::K:
:4::K: (Flamingo Stance) pushes the opponent pretty far, good for resetting the situation.

- :4::K: in Flamingo Stance does not have the jump property that it has in VF5FS.
This makes Sarah extremely vulnerable to attacks when transitioning into Flamingo Stance on block as she cannot crush lows. The Flamingo parry ( :P::+::K: ) is too risky and not as effective as in VF5FS.

- :9::K: does not allow air juggle like it does in VF5FS on normal hit. However the 3 height system is indeed implemented. After an initial stun (or on counter hit) the move allows a juggle and at threshold it allows an even better one.

Chaos

I can't wait to main Sarah and hopefully she doesn't get nerf since TN loves to nerf EVERY FUCKING THING for no dumbass reason.

Steady G

Okay, my name is CrazySteady and I am here to answer any questions about Sarah. Again, I am not a PRO Sarah player (YET), but I will try my best to provide any information that you guys demand. ;)

Sarah Overview:
I'm pretty sure that you guys already know but Sarah is a Virtua Fighter character.. She is "known" for her Flamingo style that is elegant but also dangerous! Okay now for questions...

Q: Where do you feel she's gonna strong at?

A: She is known for dishing out kicks as fast as she can. Once in her flamingo stance, she can go high, mid, or low which can confuse her opponents a bit. Her punches are just as fast. She has the ability to do a mixture or punches and kicks AND she can also go into her Flamingo stance after some of the mix ups. Right now, her hits are GOLDEN right now. But I was a little upset that they took out the combo right after her somersault. But maybe they would put it back in who knows... Oh and addition to this, by pressing :P+K:, she can deflect mid wake up kicks! o.0 I figured that out moments after I lost in the tourney haha.

Q: Does she have any weaknesses?

A: Hmm yes and no. As you could see against my match against Vanessa. Her Hitomi DESTROYED my Sarah. In Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, I use Sarah and her strong points (in my opinion) are her mid kicks.. I was definitely abusing her mid kicks in the IPL tournament. I wouldnt say that is a weakness because she can always adapt to any of her opponents fighting style so right now, I cant see any weaknesses yet. BUT I would sa that once she is in er Flamingo stance, she cannot block any attacks.. But she can deflect them by pressing :P+K: when in her Flamingo stance.

If there are any questions regarding Sarah.. Dont be afraid to ask!

-CrazySteady

I wonder what tag move she will have with other characters.

To reply to your question. I know Sarah and Tina has a tag move together. Im HOPING that she will have one with Rig sense both of them have that Flamingo style stance. :eek:

Leifang2000

Yes, something like :8::8: I forgot...I feel real dumb at this moment too. :confused:
Since in DOA5, :8::8: is side step, right? But what if you set it to :8::P+K::+::h: , will it mess up? (I think I remember she can side step while in Flamingo then remain in Flamingo in VF5FS)

Anyway, doesn't matter if you don't have the answer, just my sudden thought. (Based on my memory which sometimes can be wrong.):cool:LOL

Steady G

Yes, something like :8::8: I forgot...I feel real dumb at this moment too. :confused:
Since in DOA5, :8::8: is side step, right? But what if you set it to :8::P+K::+::h: , will it mess up? (I think I remember she can side step while in Flamingo then remain in Flamingo in VF5FS)

Well if the side step is set to :8::P+K::+::h:, the thats how you side step. The same goes for :8::8:. But in your previous question about her side step in her stance. Were you referring to her "special" side step where she shuffles her feet? Or is that something totally different?

(And no she can not side step in Flamingo and stay in Flamingo. Not that I know of!) :confused:

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Hey guys ! (and nice to see Steady here as well :D ) ..
I main Sarah in VF5FS and I've grown quite fond of how she transitioned.
I'll give you guys a bit of an overview..

Let's see..
- Input changes:
forward slide 66P+K
step (from flamigo) 1P+K
moonsault 9P+K
switchstep 8P+K
The rest of her inputs are more or less identical. and of course she has holds and a low throw now

- She has 3 sitdown stuns that are only achieved on counter hit (unfortunately):
6G+K (if set up right guarantees burst .. best sit down she has IMO)
P+K (pushes the opponent a bit far but in MOST cases .. not all... guarantees a 6G+K launcher)
(flamingo) 4K (pushes the opponent pretty far.. good for resetting the situation .. but that's it .. )

- her (flamingo) 4K does not have the jump property that it has in VF5FS. this makes Sarah extremely vulnerable to attacks when transitioning into flamingo on block as she cannot crush lows and the (flamingo)P+K parry is too risky (and not as effective as in VF) I'm unhappy with this.

- her 9K does not allow air juggle like it does in VF5FS on normal hit .. however it seems that the 3 height system is indeed implemented. after an initial stun (or on counter hit basically) the move allows a juggle and at threshold it allows an even better one.. so I guess this is fair. (in move details the hit effects go from white to yellow to red indicating 3 heights).

- There was a spelling mistake with her win pose "better run home to momma now' .. momma was spelled MONMMA... just thought id point this out as well.

- Sarahs just frames are still just frames but they are holdable in between .. I found that annoying as there's not much of a point sometimes to go for the JF... BUT .. they DO seem easier to pull off than VF ..particularly the Flamingo 3H+K into H+P throw and forward slide 2KK into H+P throw..

- her burst 236P+K is a new move (actually an old VF animation)

- She seemed weak at first, but once I started implementing her sitdown stuns and found out how to maximize her air juggles. her damage output isn't that bad actually. also her hold damage is pretty good.
Speaking of dealing max damage,
I found that her best average height juggle is 3PK,(FL)P,6KK (unlike VF 3PK deals more damage than 1H+KK)
and I found that her optimal damage from a 1K launcher after Burst can be done by 3PK,(FL)P,4K(bounce),6KK
If you guys can come up with more damage from juggles later on that would be awesome :)

- One thing to note is that If you were near a wall I don't recommend going for 3PK air juggle starters as they would cause a wall slam. Instead, I recommend going for 1H+KK and continuing the combo normally. 1H+KK does not cause wall slam and allows longer juggle follow ups before wall slam :)

- another thing worth noting is that unlike in VF5FS. her step stance (done here by pressing 1P+K)is a lot more useful in DOA5 mainly because of how different the stun system is... you're always at a decent advantage when transitioning into flamingo on hit. This also makes her (step) PP Launcher fas more viable as she does not have a MID P option from flamingo.

- Sarah's disgusting mind game 50/50 vs quick stands by using her forward slide 2K or K or 4K or 2KK is just as deadly with the difference of being able to be held in DOA of course so be careful... but this also allows for great hold baiting as you can delay your inputs on forward slide. its worth mentioning that her Forward slide 2K is also a circular move ( basically anti sidestep) this is great for screwing with people.

- she still has all her her normal hit knockdowns (3H+K, (FL)2H+K, (BT) 2K .. etc)

- Her 4H+K on a standing opponent causes a Flop stun allowing 1H+KK, (FL)7K for good guaranteed damage.
on a JUGGLED opponent it causes a re-bounce guaranteeing 6KK

- her (FL) P2KKK just frame causes a faint stun guaranteeing (FL)1KK,(FL)P,6KK ... (this is more damage than (FL)1KK, (FL)6KK)

- one big difference is that her (FL) K pushes the opponent back in her air juggles and doesnt allow air juggle followups, unlike in VF. This makes a lot of her Max damage VF juggles not work. But then again, all her damage property is different in this game so its no big deal. You just need to adapt to the new air juggle combo chains possible.
For example, in VF I would do 1KK, (FL) K , 7K for heavy weights from a 1 K launcher ... but in DOA5 it doesn't work. you need to need to use her punches if you wish to extend her juggles like the examples I posted earlier.

- All her transitions into flamingo on block put Sarah at +2-+4 (which is great) with the exception of 1H+KK which puts her at 0 frames (still better than in VF as it put her at -2)

- also you can no longer combo from her 7K like you could in the earlier builds ..

Hmm what else...

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you guys have :)

Oh yeah .. one more thing ..
Sarah's C2 ..
she can change her panties :D
press A for black lace
press X for zebra
press Y for white
and press A+Y for pink n black stripes :D

gotta love TN for that :p

DForev

I've got some questions too if CrazySteady or anyone who has had time with the builds can answer.

Can you still get a juggle after her Somersault Kick? I know I saw her do it in an earlier build, but I don't think I've ever seen it since. It looked like CrazySteady tried to continue something after it during the tourney, but it looked like you couldn't anymore.

Emperor_Cow mentioned that she doesn't get a juggle after her Full Spin Heel Kick like you can in VF5FS, which makes me sad. I loved using that. Hopefully you can still Moonsault after that at least.

And, can you Forward Slide outside of combos like you can in VF5FS?

I probably won't main Sarah (just so that I have a DOA main), but since I used her a bit in VF5FS, I might as well use her a lot here too.

Edit: Ah Cool, Cow already addressed some.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I've got some questions too if CrazySteady or anyone who has had time with the builds can answer.

Can you still get a juggle after her Somersault Kick? I know I saw her do it in an earlier build, but I don't think I've ever seen it since. It looked like CrazySteady tried to continue something after it during the tourney, but it looked like you couldn't anymore.

Emperor_Cow mentioned that she doesn't get a juggle after her Full Spin Heel Kick like you can in VF5FS, which makes me sad. I loved using that. Hopefully you can still Moonsault after that at least.

And, can you Forward Slide outside of combos like you can in VF5FS?

I probably won't main Sarah (just so that I have a DOA main), but since I used her a bit in VF5FS, I might as well use her a lot here too.

Edit: Ah Cool, Cow already addressed some.

You can't juggle after 7K no more

You CAN juggle after 9K like I said but only on counter hit ..(not normal hit).. Its still very effective.
you can also moonsault after it

And you can still forward slide from strings ..In fact, one of the easiest ways to get to threshold is 6KP6PP

I hope this makes things clear :)

Haha I need to read all of these. But first, Gill is that the actual side step or her shuffle? Because in Final Showdown, I cant remember if she can side step in her Flamingo! Or I just havent used it.. o.0

yeah it basically works like a sidestep
from flamingo you can go for 2 or 8 P+K for a mid kick sidestep remaining in flamingo ..
or you can do 2 or 8 P+KH for a non hitting sidestep ... also remaining in flamingo ( its not shuffle)

Shuffle in DOA5 is 1P+K

weather they are as effective as normal sidestep in DOA5 or not .. I need to test it out .. I'll get back to you guys on that . but I doubt it since it wasn't that effective in VF either .. (normal sidestep was just way better)

---
On a side note
I just want to add that her 3P+K in DOA5 is still as disgustingly good as it is in VF5FS and it crushes Highs just the same. In fact, it may actually be better because it doesn't cause Flop stun like in VF but it launches on counter hit allowing a good juggle ..(3PK,(FL)P,6KK works) :)

Steady G

@EMPEROR_COW
OMG You made me want the game even more now! Haha you're the best!
And im excited to hear that her damage output isnt bad! Thats a relief! Because when I played her at IPL, I barely could do any damage to my opponent. (Maybe it was because I didnt get to practice with her before to learn the tricks:confused:)

I think I am going to go play Final Showdown.. Hahaha

yeah it basically works like a sidestep
from flamingo you can go for 2 or 8 P+K for a mid kick sidestep remaining in flamingo ..
or you can do 2 or 8 P+KH for a non hitting sidestep ... also remaining in flamingo ( its not shuffle)

Shuffle in DOA5 is 1P+K

weather they are as effective as normal sidestep in DOA5 or not .. I need to test it out .. I'll get back to you guys on that . but I doubt it since it wasn't that effective in VF either .. (normal sidestep was just way better)

Okay now that you said that I remember that more now! Okay yeah so that will be a great asset to use when in flamingo when in danger! Haha Okay AND I dont wanna be cheap but I HOPE they put a guarantee combo after th 7K.. =[ I tried to use that SO many times... =[

EDIT: Never mind... o.0

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Okay now that you said that I remember that more now! Okay yeah so that will be a great asset to use when in flamingo when in danger! Haha Okay AND I dont wanna be cheap but I HOPE they put a guarantee combo after th 7K.. =[ I tried to use that SO many times... =[

Honestly, I dont think she needs it ..
she already has 1K , 9K and 2P+KK as great Mid kick launchers ..

also she 4H+K flop that gives you a free follow up

and you have Mid P launcher with 3P+K

and on counter hit her 8K launches as well for a high launcher ..

shes got tons man ...

Steady G

Honestly, I dont think she needs it ..
she already has 1K , 9K and 2P+KK as great Mid kick launchers ..

also she 4H+K flop that gives you a free follow up

and you have Mid P launcher with 3P+K

and on counter hit her 8K launches as well for a high launcher ..

shes got tons man ...

Her 8K??? Wow uhhh that will be like pulling teeth to get off. Or maybe not.. I just need the game so I can try her out.. Grr.. But thanks COW you did a better overview than I did. Haha you're the best once again. And I feel like your Sarah will be way better than mine... *sigh* Gotta practice!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD