important criterions for creating/having a character in a fighting game?

RayBellion

Reading the forum it appears to me regardless of which character is added to the DOA roster, there is a majority that will be dissatisfied with it. Mostly the discussion is about the new character and his/her (assumed) popularity. Hence I wonder what people think are the most important aspects of a (new) fighter?
For example, I find Raidou is ugly as hell, his moveset is a complicated mess, his costumes are boring and the only time someone picks this character is when the computer plays him against me. Not once have I encountered him online or seen him in a YT tournament. So why is he a reappearing character in the DOA series? Just for the stories sake? Or because he has quite a different moveset compared to other characters, hence offering more gameplay variety that way (even if noone seems to use it)?
I gave me one other question : Would I play a character which appearance I love even if I have problem regarding his moveset? For example, I like Ayanes appearance and animations, but prefer to play against her instead of picking her myself. I enjoy the optics during the Ayane matches very much but somehow I really suck with her - my personal deficit, yeah, I know.

So, to join the fray, here's my suggestion how to theoretically evaluate which character might be the best new addition, in form of an evaluation framework for adding a character:

Appearance
This covers all optical aspects like beauty (or ugliness), intro/special move animations, the graphical side of the moveset, the quality of the design etc. I am not sure if sexual appeal should belong in here, too, but since we're talking DOA and because female chars tend to draw more of the crowd in (not only the "waifu lusting weirdos", as someone said once here), I will include it.

Personality
This is a bit tricky. Is the story an important part of the personality magic? If we leave the confusing story aside, what's left to make a character interesting? Except for the intro and extro, there is only so much room for expressing oneself during the execution of moves. For example, IMO during the actual fighting Bass has a lot of personality, Jann Lee as well. These are distinguishable and memorable characters. For me, Diego has an interesting attitude as well, but I often read the opposite, namely that he lacks any personality. So that's a bit muddy. Still, it's a factor, for example I really picked Jann Lee as main because of his personality, and I think others have chosen their mains as well because of that.

Game Mechanic Variation
That's how interesting and refreshing the moveset is. Whether easy of use or complex to master, it's important that it's being different to already known movesets. In detail there might be disagreement about what a good variation might be. Some will prefer totally unique movesets, others like "Honoka-type shit" compilations, other might admire a faithful blend of DOA and initial guest character style, even if that leads to an obscure moveset. If game mechanic variation doesn't matter at all, than a moveset copy of another character might be fully acceptable. Of course, in the end it might turn out that the try misfired and the totally new moveset ends up being overpowered, boring etc., but the main focus is on the variation here, since the quality of the moveset might take quite some time to get properly evaluated later.

Popularity
Is it preferable to add a known, popular character to the roster or can it be a dark horse? Some express fear to get "some nobody from a gacha game", others wanted (successfully) to get Rachel back, the next one hopes for original content like we got with Nico (even risking disappointment in case the total unknown turns out to be a colourless nobody). A high rating means: Known characters are preferable.

If I would have 20 points to distribute, I would spend them as follows:

Appearance 8
Personality 5
Game Mechanic Variation 5
Popularity 2

What's your 20 point distribution?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
If it's an original character taking into account what people would want, I'd do:

Appearance: ☆☆☆☆☆☆
Personality:☆☆☆☆☆☆
Game Mechanic:☆☆☆☆☆☆
Popularity:☆☆

Popularity is least important since as a new character they're not gonna have established enough to have a set popularity when they come unless they've been shown beforehand for a while to build up hype. Everything else is equally important to make sure they stand out

If it's a guest character it'd be:

Appearance:☆☆☆
Personality:☆☆☆☆
Game mechanic:☆☆☆☆☆☆
Popularity:☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Appearance is least important since no matter how a character looks, if they're popular enough that's gonna be where the hype stems from like Geese in Tekken, he's not much a looker and it's mostly straight men and series vets who like him so his popularity is what precedes him, his looks is just a mere garnish. Personality matters more than appearance since a well established personality is really another factor that leads to their renowned popularity, and of course a game mechanic or their play style that's well translated is important too.

Now if it was just a me thing and I could make my own character the stats would be this:

Appearance:☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Personality:☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Game mechanic:☆☆☆☆☆
Popularity:☆

Me personally I feel like appearance and personality precedes everything and a good game play style is also as important but shouldn't be the character's most glaring trait. Popularity doesn't matter imo since I wouldn't care if people liked the character I designed mostly for my own satisfaction

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD