Is learning the fundamentals with DOA5 LR practical to transfer my knowledge of DOA basics into DOA6

FighterJordan

Hello, my name is Jordan and I’m a new player looking into getting into the DOA franchise competitively. I’m planning on using Hitomi as my main character since, it’s my first game in the franchise and I hear she’s basically the Ryu of the game, yes I know you hear this statement a lot about her i’m sure due to entry level characters. What I’m wondering is I’m going to a free tournament for DOA6 and if I start learning the fundamentals in DOA5 will they transfer well to DOA6? The reason I ask is I don’t own DOA6 yet, I plan on buying it soon though probably later this month and I wanted to make sure that the broad and generalized DOA fundamentals will transfer from DOA5 to DOA6 when I do eventually buy the game. Also, if that is the case where should I start on my road to learning the fundamentals of competitive DOA?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think taking the basic mechanics into account from DOA5 is fine although you have to be aware of a couple things:

-DOA6 doesn't have stagger escape
-stun game is shorter and some moves have shortened stun that can't be continued unless the opponent holds

-Throw damage is heavier and combo scaling is a bit heavier too and juggle isnt tied to threshold besides getting a higher launch from a fatal sit down stun

-The new fatal stun and fatal rush and break blow mechanics replace Critical Burst

-DOA6 is more neutral game focus and less stun focused

As long as you remember not to play DOA6 like DOA5 I think you'll be ok using DOA5 as a catalyst to prepare for DOA6 since most of the frame data besides stun length and such haven't changed. Also doing the tutorial in DOA5 and just overlooking the critical burst, stagger escape, and stun threshold for higher launch should help you even more since alot of what's covered in that tutorial is in DOA6's as well. Just keep in mind the differences between both iterations and I think you'd be fine

FighterJordan

Oh ok, thanks @KazumiLover. I’ll definitely give you a follow. You deserve it for reaching out and helping a scrub like myself learn Competitive DOA. I play on PSN my gamer tag is TheJordanator-js if your down for some games sometime if you play on PS4 that is.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oh ok, thanks @KazumiLover. I’ll definitely give you a follow. You deserve it for reaching out and helping a scrub like myself learn Competitive DOA. I play on PSN my gamer tag is TheJordanator-js if your down for some games sometime if you play on PS4 that is.
Sure I would be happy too once things where I live are set up :-D

FighterJordan

Yeah, actually that definitely makes sense i’ve tried a few other characters before and actually I tend to like Christie’s playstyle the best so, I think I will play her. I’m not going to go with a character that they supposedly are just easy to play. I prefer Christie’s Moveset and she’s just plain sexy. I love her sexual intros and outros. If she was real and allowed me to do it I’d bang her so hard she’d be happy for days lol.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
just use who like, doesn't really matter how difficult the it is to execute the moveset. you will learn with practice but don't be like me and keep branching out as new character is released lol stick with one and learn them well.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Pick a character... That's half of the battle. Then take the character through the combo training and command list. If you can see putting something together take it to free training.

For additional resources check out the character forum for the one you chose to learn things from others.

A lot of your input knowledge will carry over, but DOA6 is a new game so you check out this system forum as well to get a grasp on the changes.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
-DOA6 is more neutral game focus and less stun focused

I swear, people need to be careful tossing on the word "neutral" around as it still applies in DOA5 lol. See a lot of people getting far too lightly saying that when the general approach of the game is the same with added meter, shorter stuns, and a better sidestep mechanic. Raansu tossed that word too lightly and he doesn't even like the game. Still love you though, but neutral of the game is roughly the same.

Yeah, actually that definitely makes sense i’ve tried a few other characters before and actually I tend to like Christie’s playstyle the best so, I think I will play her.

Most of the learning portion from 5 will carry over to the next game. Same movement, same hold, added meter, shortened stuns with added quirks such as Break Blow, Fatal Rush, and Fatal Stuns. If you already know frame data, then you are off to a good start with nothing really holding you back other than learning character match ups and knowing your own character weaknesses.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I swear, people need to be careful tossing on the word "neutral" around as it still applies in DOA5 lol. See a lot of people getting far too lightly saying that when the general approach of the game is the same with added meter, shorter stuns, and a better sidestep mechanic. Raansu tossed that word too lightly and he doesn't even like the game. Still love you though, but neutral of the game is roughly the same.

Most of the learning portion from 5 will carry over to the next game. Same movement, same hold, new meter, shortened stuns with added quirks such as Break Blow, Fatal Rush, and Fatal Stuns. If you already know frame data, then you are off to a good start with nothing really holding you back other than learning character match ups and knowing your own character weaknesses.
Oh my bad I didn't mean neutral in that way xD I mean more while they're the same, DOA6 having less stun means stun isn't as focused on DOA5 where when you were stunned, they were often lengthy unless you SEed while in DOA6 since its shorter and a couple off attacks stuns can't really be continued unless the opponent throws out a hold since there's no SE and shorter stun time, it's now more or so focused on carefully reading your opponent and waiting for the right time to counter since throw damage is somewhat greater, that and fatal stun such can deter you from holding. I think in DOA6 in general holding randomly is alot more dangerous now because of how strong throws are and how fatal stuns can be a problem unless you have the meter to escape them

FighterJordan

Most of the learning portion from 5 will carry over to the next game. Same movement, same hold, added meter, shortened stuns with added quirks such as Break Blow, Fatal Rush, and Fatal Stuns. If you already know frame data, then you are off to a good start with nothing really holding you back other than learning character match ups and knowing your own character weaknesses.

FighterJordan

Thanks, I need to learn and understand frame data because that’s something that’s holding me back I somewhat understand it but, I need to do more research and learn Christie’s frame data, since I hear most if not all of the frame data for the character’s is pretty much the same if not completely the same in DOA6. That’ll be a lot easier, when I get DOA6 so, I can gain system knowledge and understand when I can press buttons and when I can’t etc.

extravagant

I pretty much went straight into DoA6 playing like DoA5 and I was winning like 12 win streak rank matches. The game is pretty much the same, with only slight differences. That's my personal opinion though, they're almost the same...

d3v

The basics are the same, but trying to play 6 like 5 will get you bopped in ranked.

The differences go beyond meter and extend to the stun system, and the sidesteps. 5 encourages you to play the stun game, getting higher launches and longer combos, the deeper your opponent is in stun. 6 reverts to the classic system where launch height isn't affected by how deep someone is in stun. So with 6, you want to launch as soon as you get stun. Sure, you can play this way in 5, but your combo options are gonna ba different.

Also, playing Christie, her mixup game was nerfed in 6. So you're gonna have to adapt when you move from 5 to 6.

Strangerinmytub

Hitomi is a great pick for starters, but I'm also tired of seeing her in ranked all the damn time. Hardest thing switching from 5 to 6 is adapting to sidestep attacking, otherwise, things are pretty similar.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
Sidestep attacks are a more important aspect of DOA6.
It was considered a defensive move in DOA5, but in this game it's both offensive and defensive.

I think it would be easier for you to transition into the sidestep mindset if you also tried to use to offensively. It knocks back greatly and potentially into breakables to continue combos, so it's very environmentally friendly :)

Learning to use it more than the Break Hold will greatly improve your chances of winning, because it's both defense and attack, and by also sparing the meter to build quickly for a Break Blow.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD