is there ever a good time use highs when applying pressure?

Camel with 2 thumbs

well? like when your plus enough that it's your turn to hit a button, is there ever a time you'd use a high instead of a mid or a low to start your offence?

Last edited:

AlexXsWx

When opponent is afraid to get CB'ed or when there is non-high followup. And mind game of course

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
For me I know it's on block and counter hits. For Kasumi, Phase, Naotora, and Mai i know that if they do PK while an opponent is attacking and if I beat them out it'll be guaranteed since PK on CH is a jail string. PP is also good for applying pressure because of the tick throw possibility. Highs are also useful since they can be unpredictable in strings that don't have a high like in Kasumi 6PK string you can use 8K after it during a stun since the follow ups are a mid kick or a low sweep, most opponents will think you're going for the mid kick. And then for say Naotora in a stun you'd do 6P>PP which is great since 6P is part of the mid punch to mid kick string and a lot of people will think you're going for the mid kick when instead you'll surprise them with PP, K, 8K, or even 4P so you can force them to make a guess. That's pretty much what I know about it.

Chapstick

There are a lot of people (I'm one of them) that mid P hold or mid parry when it's the other person's "turn" so vs'ing people like that would be a good time to use highs

Lulu

Characters like Zack and Rig can really punish the hell out of Crouch Spammers.....

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
As Bass I use P+K or PK in those situations. Especially when the person thinks they still have the speed advantage even though they are negative.

I also use WR 4P+K after 66P+K which is +0 and the WR 4P+K will crush any highs and some high-mids.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yes. Because my lows suck and parries exist.
I feel for Ryu users, I'm glad Kasumi has good and decent range lows behind Mai. Naotora is ok and Ein and MR and Eliot's are meh imo, but then again I abuse lows if you let me, like in TTT2 I'll spam Lili's down+ X thorn whip and Anna's down forward+ Circle wine opener(And pretty much all her lows since she has some of the best in game) until you react or give me a reason to stop which is part of my conditioning strategy, although I'm kinda liberal in DOA outside of stuns because I fear getting held, it breaks my focus. XD

Nikotsumi

There are a lot of people (I'm one of them) that mid P hold or mid parry when it's the other person's "turn" so vs'ing people like that would be a good time to use highs
^ This.

Also, in Honoka's case, since she has crappy lows, I heavily realy on highs, her jab specifically, because :
-Her fastest mids (6P, 6K) and follow ups are unsafe or almost (semi-safe), so if those get blocked I'm screwed.
-She has and longer strings from her jab. This usually forces opponents to the keep holding the block button unless they wanna get counter hit, giving me the opportunity to do stuff like P > 6T / PP > 6T to keep the offense.
Of course, if the opponent likes to use high crush moves to beat the jab, I'll use a mid.

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
well? like when your plus enough that it's your turn to hit a button, is there ever a time you'd use a high instead of a mid or a low to start your offence?
For vf and tekken players this is pretty obvious, but it's a bit more dynamic in this game with individual character stats and priority. Highs are still important due to general priority for most characters anyway and that makes them ideal especially for abare.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
If the high has good string follow ups to provide additional pressure then sure. Typically I with Christie I use 9P after a + guard break so I can go from +7 to +0. In that situations if they block I'm still at advantage, and if they mash something that isn't a crush they are put into an unslowescapable stun. It's good for conditioning so you're opponent will actually have to think after your mixups instead of thinking you'll do the same hit levels over and over.

Camel with 2 thumbs

seems like highs, or more specifically, jab strings seem to be the way to go if you wanna keep up the pressure. i don't know about y'all, but alot of times when I fight ('specifically with nyo) seems like people are always trying to low profile their way out of minus frames, so i end up over relying on my crappy lows or my mids with very limited mix up capabilities just to stop ppl from going nutz, very annoying stuff

DontForkWitMe

Depends on what tools your character has to deal with that situation. For Leon I use his 66pp string since its is a 2in1 that goes high to mid so if they mid hold or parry they get deep stunned by both hits if they low hold or crouch they crush the high but get deep stunned by the mid p follow up, and if they sidestep it auto tracks so they get deep stunned anyway and when used at max threshold the mid p launches giving him an air throw on all weight classes. He also has his p6p string which is high to mid that auto tracks and leads to mixups.

WAZAAAAA

if you're Akira, always I guess, you can get guaranteed combos from a 13 startup high P guard break

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD