DOA5U Jann Lee Matchups-DOA5U

RiBu

Alright gang...let's go over his match-ups in DOA5U. For the most part I don't think he has anything to problematic based solely on character aspects. That said I think his historically bad match-ups(i.e Ayane) are basically still the same from DOA2-4...

If we start getting some information on certain match-ups I'll update this post to organize said information.

hitman47

Most of his problems is that he has big trouble getting in, because the only range move he has is 66K, it pushes back and does only 30 damage and is linear, so you have to get in with his other moves and most of them have short range and are very linear attacks like 3k, 6k,4p,4k, the good thing is that they have have follow up to maintain pressure but there is no low attacks, so it's not that great either.
I think that in this game we should use 236 p or running P more often now since it's not extremly unsafe anymore, it tracks and does 40 damage and 60 on close hits and can do even more there is a wall, the problem is the recovery is huge when it whiffs.

The dragon gunner is still best option to open people up, but it's much slower in this game, so you have to be smart when you use it

RiBu

It's a shame I feel like he is so linear in every match-up now. At least that's what I've got from playing online. Literally hope you get a dragon gunner to connect, and the following mix-up lands you a combo. Otherwise you basically have to just throw punish their unsafe stuff and hope you get a counter hit poke for his max range moves... Also I've noticed 9K seems to be not as good for low crushing, but that might just be online.

Really wish he had some kind of low from Dragon Stance, since they felt the need to give everyone a low derivative from their stance...or a guardbreak...or a free crumple...or a grab...or all of those things....

Crext

Standard Donor
Howdy, thought we might start a discussion regarding Jann Lee's match-ups and what you believe to be the case. Remember that this is just speculations based on 1 perhaps incomplete view at this time, but I'll still want to hear your opinions, so we could get some estimates up and running.

We'll use the same as in the collective thread:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/doa5u-the-unofficial-tier-list-with-discussion-thread.3817/
where 5 means equal, 6 means you win 6 of 4 if you are equally good, and 4 the other way around.

I'll give an example as we currently view things here.

Jann Lee vs
Akira
Alpha152 - 5
Ayane - 3
Bass - 6
Bayman - 5
Brad - 5
Christie - 4
Eliot - 5
Gen Fu - 6
Hayate - 5
Helena - 5
Hitomi - 4
Kasumi - 4
Kokoro - 6
Leifang - 4
Lisa - 6
Mila - 5
Pai - 5
Rig - 5
Ryu - 4
Sarah - 5
Tina - 6
Zack - 6
New crew:
Rachel - 6
Ein - 6
Momiji - 5
Leon - 5
Jacky - 5

Hoping for some additional good replies to extend on the list further!

Last edited:

RiBu

Majority of the cast is like 4-6, ein/eliot/zack/hitomi are even I guess, and christie/helena/ayane are his worst matchups...

I feel like he doesn't have any favorable matchups.

Crext

Standard Donor
Currently under construction and up for debate. :cool:

But ye, he is not top tier anymore.

RiBu

IDK if any of the traditional people still use him, but yea. I feel like it's been talked a lot going over some of the older posts in this section, but he got nerfed in a lot of the areas that made him strong. Combined with the fact he didn't get enough to compensate for them...

He's just a really average character with nothing that really stands out, and the stuff he has loses out to some characters. The only thing he has going from him is possibly the best natural movement in the game...

Crext

Standard Donor
He is still really fun to play though, especially against newbies. I usually just go with him if I know I face someone fresh, or if I've faced someone several times that I keep beating.

Gurimmjaw

I don't know about this really a lot just seems off and I mean WAY OFF with how it looks currently. If possible I would ask Ryujin input on it. Him being worse than Ein and Eliot with Match ups is silly. A lot of work needs to be done with the match ups because it doesn't look right at all. He a lot of tools in these match ups so im pretty sure he wins some still. Him being in the E tier category is silly. He's at least in the B tier category. The chart needs a lot of work. If not possible to get in contact with Ryujin then might be best to get input from other players who play vs him.

Good to see the Jann Lee forum alive though.

QueenJakheiho

Lol, when i see that i should post another Michael Jordan GIF post, but better i make my way quiet out of this topic,lol.

Crext

Standard Donor
Why don't you post your own opinion in form of a match-up sheet?

I too believe that he is somewhat better than this, but seeing as I don't play THAT much Jann I figured the only other vote to count more than my own, therefor you have the current setup.

RiBu

I legitimately believe Jann Lee is at the bottom rung of the cast in this game. That isn't to say he is a bad character, just I feel like he lacks a lot of tools/has bad matchups against the characters people would generally right higher.

9K is still a great low-crush/ fast launcher to throw out which nets him good damage. Dragon Gunner is still dragon gunner; just much slower. And like I said earlier he has amazing natural movement. But I can't really think of anything that he has that's exceptionally better than any of the characters that should be rated higher than him. He doesn't have incredible damage output. He has the same run of mill speed Jabs/Mids most of the cast has now, and still has very little to deter people from just stand guarding all day outside of options available to the entire cast. He has to resort to counter poking characters to get a stun most of the time, and with so much of the high level characters being able to aggressively rush in and force a stun/mix-up off of faster pokes he seems too fair.

I don't claim to be great and most of my matchup experience is from online, but I've played the character in every version since 2 and this seriously feels like his weakest iteration. IDK maybe I'm not seeing it, but he just doesn't seem to have the options that the characters people are generally saying mark the top tier.

RiBu

So the only reply my stuff got was someone saying lol....Does anyone have anymore input? I'd hate for people checking this to be turned off from the character just because the only person giving an opinion thinks said character is pretty weak.

I think he should be even with Rig,Hitomi,Ein,Elliot,Zack, Jacky.

I'm pretty much sold on him having bad matchups against:
Bayman,Christie,Ayane,Helena, and Lei-Fang. I do think he would have some problems with Mila,Sarah, Kasumi, Hayate, and Fu. I'm quick to think he would also have a lot of trouble with Leon and Rachel potentially, due mostly to damage ratios and Jann Lee's heavy juggle adjustment for heavy-weights.

Everyone else I need to get more play testing against to form an opinion.

QueenJakheiho

Bad matchups against very unsafe chars like christie, kasumi or helena? Thats all are 5-5
His weakness he is very linear, but his damage output one of the highest in the roster, he is one of the safest chars in the roster a simple 6pp h+k can leads into a 3 hits sitdown critcal burst when you guess wrong. His gunner(nerfed with 4 frames) still one of the best tools in the entired game. I played a lot with him and against him in vanilla and now in Ultimate, my jann is a comedy troll, but he is still one of the best characters in the game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD