DOA5LR Kasumi Tutorial Breakdown Stream on November 22nd @8PM EST Hosted by Force of Nature

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Really ?

She strikes me as a Rushdowm type.... a really good one infact.

So if that's not what she is then what is she ?
I think of her as versatile; She can be played very offensively, but she's no slouch in defense either. I prefer her defense side, because it allows me to play her close to her DOA2 roots and I can zone and poke my opponent out, and initiate combos when they make mistake. She can rush down, but it's pretty risky with her unsafety and strings that hit multiple times in the same hit level.

Lulu

I think of her as versatile; She can be played very offensively, but she's no slouch in defense either. I prefer her defense side, because it allows me to play her close to her DOA2 roots and I can zone and poke my opponent out, and initiate combos when they make mistake. She can rush down, but it's pretty risky with her unsafety and strings that hit multiple times in the same hit level.

Well yeah.... thats why her Strings are so super Delayable. Its the weirdest type of Mix Up.

:kasumi: "I can hit you with a Mid Punch or I can hit you With the very same mid punch but 9 Frames Slower...... Go ahead.... just Try and grab me !!!".

LOL.... atleast thats what I imagine shes say when she Delays that :4::P::P:.... or maybe one of her longer strings.

But yeah she is Versatile.... more so than :hitomi:. I think Kasumi should have been the Tutorial Character.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Well yeah.... thats why her Strings are so super Delayable. Its the weirdest type of Mix Up.

:kasumi: "I can hit you with a Mid Punch or I can hit you With the very same mid punch but 9 Frames Slower...... Go ahead.... just Try and grab me !!!".

LOL.... atleast thats what I imagine shes say when she Delays that :4::P::P:.... or maybe one of her longer strings.

But yeah she is Versatile.... more so than :hitomi:. I think Kasumi should have been the Tutorial Character.
It would make sense. They probably chose sweet ole Hitomi because in some lessons when you have to interrupt the enemy's throw attempt after a string, Kasumi could easily be thrown because of her unsafe moves. I think Hitomi is a lot safer on block than Kasumi, but that's just me going off what I saw with her in tutorial mode.

Lulu

It would make sense. They probably chose sweet ole Hitomi because in some lessons when you have to interrupt the enemy's throw attempt after a string, Kasumi could easily be thrown because of her unsafe moves. I think Hitomi is a lot safer on block than Kasumi, but that's just me going off what I saw with her in tutorial mode.

No arguments here. ;)

UprisingJC

1.Her 3PP is a precious tool when playing her stun game against heavyweight characters as she deals pathetically low damage from LV.1 air juggles on them, but I hate the fact that 3PP also pushes her opponent backwards a little bit on hit, making you unable to do PKK7KP+K after launching the opponent with her 8K unless you dash forward a little bit first or your opponent attempts a wrong standing hold.

Dashing forward before launching 8K, however, makes 8K slow-escapable.
3PP only gives her +16 if her opponent does fastest SE.

2.I don't really know how to say about her lows. People think she's strong as she has lots of low tracking follow-ups such as PP2K, 6P2K, 3P2K...etc Nevertheless, this makes people tend to "WAIT" for her lows intentionally. Some players would rather get hit by mids than by lows.

"I would just go crouching no matter what Kasumi will do."

Yep lots of her strings are highly delayable, including her lows, but I seldom delay her lows whenever I feel like going for lows. It has something to do with the fact that she would get CH if she delays her lows such as 6P2K and PP2K while her opponent decides to retaliate right after blocking 6p or pp. She has to work on delaying her mids to make them as fast as her lows that are not delayed so that she's more likely to successfully hit her opponent with lows, but make sure that you're not facing the type of player who never respects anything and always retaliates immediately even if he gets CH a lot of times(Yes, I'm actually referring to button mashers).

Forget about her moves like 66H+K, 6K2K and 6H+K2K.
For most of the time you're not using those moves unless you feel like getting punished by low throws or CH.

Ex:
6pk(i14), 6p2k(i22)
3pp(i10), 3p2k(i26)

One more thing to know about the difference among her 4p2k, 3p2k and 6p2k.
4p2k and 6p2k can be considered the same move, while 3p2k is sort of different from them not just because of it being a bit slower, Kasumi transitions into the crouching state right after you press 3p2k, meaning that highs can't hit her, while it takes a few frames for Kasumi to enter the crouching state when throwing out 4p2k or 6p2k, which means that highs may still interrupt her 6p2k or 4p2k if she delays them for too long.

3. A relatively easier air juggle after 236T would be PKK7K6P+K9PK6P+KKK, which works on all characters and deals 65 dmg.

It's midnight here so I'd just post those first.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I'll also note that a good strategy I've been using a lot more as of late (in general), is stun > string or short string finished for quick damage. This adds a typically strong layer of mix up to my game outside of the usual get stun > stun launch or generic stun mix up.

With Kasumi, I often do stun > PP7K > 6P+K 9PK 6P+K KK, or stun > PPKK/H+KK, or stun > PP6KK/6KK. Both H+KK and 6KK are natural combos in threshold and counter hit. So the smaller amount of damage is all guaranteed as soon as the first move of said string (H+KK and 6KK) hits. It forces players to make an immediate decision to hold or eat the damage.

Even stun > 6P6KK is good because it's a knockdown with a follow up attached to it. The follow up ground hits for oki if the opponent doesn't tech up, if they don't, another 9K will for higher frame advantage. If they tech after 6P6KK then you're always at +1 if they tech to the side and +6 if they tech away from you.

I do the same as Ayane and Momiji (infact the 1.04 change to Momiji is exactly why this stuff has made her better).

UprisingJC

I'll also note that a good strategy I've been using a lot more as of late (in general), is stun > string or short string finished for quick damage. This adds a typically strong layer of mix up to my game outside of the usual get stun > stun launch or generic stun mix up.

With Kasumi, I often do stun > PP7K > 6P+K 9PK 6P+K KK, or stun > PPKK/H+KK, or stun > PP6KK/6KK. Both H+KK and 6KK are natural combos in threshold and counter hit. So the smaller amount of damage is all guaranteed as soon as the first move of said string (H+KK and 6KK) hits. It forces players to make an immediate decision to hold or eat the damage.

As a player whose main character is Kasumi, I barely go stun-launch for most of the time, especially when facing superheavy characters. I always try to extend the critical level to at least LV.2 and then go for a launcher. I'm not sure if it's suitable though as I hope to cause more damage on my opponent whenever I score a CH with Kasumi. If I'm using characters like Bayman and Leon(I also use those characters) then I don't have this problem as their stun-launch damage is very decent.

I sometimes do stun-launch by using her 4pk, 3p twice or 7k, while I barely use her PP7K as I mostly go for PPK, PPP, PP6K or PP -> FC -> other string whenever I extend the stun with PP so that I can extend the critical level to LV2, LV3 for a higher launch height, but that's just me.

Even stun > 6P6KK is good because it's a knockdown with a follow up attached to it. The follow up ground hits for oki if the opponent doesn't tech up, if they don't, another 9K will for higher frame advantage. If they tech after 6P6KK then you're always at +1 if they tech to the side and +6 if they tech away from you.

This can actually be used in the air juggle after 33K or 236T.

33K(LV1) -> 6P6KK : +3 if the opponent techs
33K(LV2, LV3) -> 33P -> 2P -> 6P6KK, where 33P-> 2P can be replaced by 66K.K : +1
236T -> 66 -> KK7K6P+K -> 6P6KK : +0 ~ +2, this has something to do with the timing.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I know that this is old, but I came back & was skimming through, cleaning out my notifications.

Kasumi is offensive, but she's not really safe on guard after most of her attacks. This is why there are some people who don't believe that her style of play isn't rushdown. I would say that she's an offensive-counterstriking character. People have to deal with her string delaying & free canceling. That's why they have to respect most of her offense besides her speeds. Offensive doesn't always equal rushdown.

You can space her buttons, but playing nearly far screen away will not get you very far. I personally play her depending on how my opponent responds to me. If they come off as a player who blocks most of the time or sits still, I would go uptempo, harassing them. If they like to be aggressive, I'd space them & let them hang themselves. Once they've exhausted all of their options, that's when I go on the offensive.

If you're looking to space with her, then you should be playing her 4P range, 3K range. Anything outside of that, you'll be using 66K or 66P depending on what you're looking for. A running throw is also very good to use. You can use 3P+K to get in closer, but it should be done with precision. Believe it or not, 44P is a good button to use, too when someone tries to come in. It evades attacks & leads to a natural combo. Above all else, players should get familiar with her ranged buttons & being active up close. She has short range, but for what she can do when she's 2 to 5 character lengths away, she's fine.

The reason why I mentioned this in a post about her range because this will get players used to fluently whiff punishing with her. Because with Kasumi, whiff punishment can be very subjunctive.

This is all I have. I'm not on her very often as I used to be nor am I actually really involved in the competitive groups. You can PM me on Skype or other social media pages if anyone has any questions.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD