Koei Tecmo Dropped the Ball Hard with Recent DLC

It's time for the Dead or Alive community to bear arms against Koei-Tecmo for the absurd implementation of leasing hair colors through exchange of REAL money through the currency of 'Premium Tickets' exclusively on the PlayStation 4 console. As it stands thousands of people have expressed their disdain for the hair renting feature and with very little care or concern from Koei Tecmo games. Today we have received an extremely deceitful ticket response to a customer from Koei Tecmo games and it appears that KT gives not one damn about the feedback they have received.

If you decide to continue reading this story. You will be disturbed. You will see Koei Tecmo for who they really are. Hell you might even cry.

For this particular situation DO NOT blame Team NINJA or Master. With the proof we have now this is definitely the doing of the big wigs at Koei Tecmo games, and their response was to undermine the customer's intelligence and play stupid with the situation assuming their fans will eventually shut up and take it like they always do. They even gave the customer a DEAD-LINE for how much longer they could complain about the ticket situation before this player's feedback would be completely shut down. Since this issue has yet to be reported to the mainstream press Koei Tecmo is actually bullying & deceiving the people that support this game and seeing them only as a number and not one of their fighters.

87292457_2437250896604739_5630235090312232960_n.jpg
dd.jpg

Koei Tecmo also admits in this disgusting response that the feature was never a bug, and that they intended to keep it this way despite the fan OUTBURST on social media. Despite EVERY OTHER FIGHTING GAME HAVING THIS OPTION FOR FREE. Unless we continue to raise our voices they are going to plow fans over. Please players for the sake of this community, for the sake of keeping it alive we implore you to submit a ticket to Koei Tecmo expressing your anger for this money draining feature.

As many players have mentioned you can implement hair colors into the PC version for free after jumping through a few loop holes, and in the face of that it wouldn't surprise players if Koei Tecmo put a stop to PC modders so that they can protect the moral integrity of their scam - the problem for them there is the modders I've talked to don't think Koei Tecmo is smart enough to find a way to stop it.

If you explore the comments section of this Tweet you will quickly see that not one single person is into this idea or wants to pay for the coloring options, but some in general are actually willing to pay one dollar (or ticket) per color which would still give Team NINJA an outrageous 16 dollars per player if we were just allowed to keep each color across the board for all characters.

This feature is so tacked on so, so immoral and wrong that even players that normally defend DOA at every turn are going nuts. We must sound off on these issues before the imbecile big wigs at Koei-Tecmo continues to rip us all off for everything we are worth. I've never seen Matt Ponton, the creator of FSD, this furious and he has been supporting Dead or Alive longer than any of us.

This is not fair... this is not right and the only way we can defeat this from getting MUCH worse in the future is rally as a community to take these big wig con artists out at Koei Tecmo once and for all. Remember how PS4 players were required to download Season Passes in the beginning and couldn't individually download? This reason was to bamboozle the biggest player pool for the launch of the game, and the releasing hair colors first on PS4 is proof of that.

Do not support this color scheme scam unless you want a completely fucked game in the future where all DOA is is the SIMS or MAPLE STORY or an MMO.

Last edited:
People who use an ad-blocker might want to consider turning it off while reading related articles.

game gets to have the worst input lag AND netcode for a fighting game: nobody bats an eye

paid hair for whales? So you have chosen war. Sound the alarm. Seize the means of production. This blasphemous transgression will not soon be forgotten. Let the riots commence. The revolution has just begun. A riot is the language of the unheard bla bla all publishers are scum and predatory like that and getting worse with time what you gonna do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just don't buy 'em lmaooo

I think if anything upsets me about their response, its describing how tickets work for hair colour, that it's not a bug, and "please understand". Yeah, I understand that you think we're idiots, that's all I get from that.

Well in the past they have changed things about the game due to negative feedback from fans, like not being able to buy costumes induvidually on PS4 and the way the coin system was on day 1, so you'd think this would be a situation along those lines and would end similarly with KT changing something, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if they don't this time... unless we take bolder action than we have before.

I think this shouldn't be seen as simpley "give us hair colour or die" but we should be emphasising them not listening to fans in general for years. This move by them is the last straw in a series of last straws, that's what must be made known to them. It's not just hair colour, it's how they've been treating us this whole time in every way. All their DLC deseves to be boycotted.

Literally every fan of DoA here. Anyone who's ever been a fan of DoA, even if you didn't bother to even touch DoA6 with a 10ft poll, if you've ever cared about the series this is the best time to voice your complaints to KT. This is no time to be complacent and just uninstall your game and move on to something else. At the very least this should be a bombardment on twitter. Make noise and make it noticable. Maybe get hashtags going. Any time you have a chance to tweet, @KT and help add a +1 to their collection of complaints whenever you can. Overwhelm the "whales" and positive responses with what they really need to see. And, while it might risk appearing like we don't have one clear and concise demand, I think it might be worth using this opportunity to voice any other issues you have with DoA6 too.

Many people here have already pointed out that money is the only language something like KT understand and we have to vote with our wallets, which is true and part of what we have to do, but bad publicity and harm to their rep is another thing they don't like.

game gets to have the worst input lag AND netcode for a fighting game: nobody bats an eye

paid hair for whales? So you have chosen war. Sound the alarm. Seize the means of production. This blasphemous transgression will not soon be forgotten. Let the riots commence. The revolution has just begun. A riot is the language of the unheard bla bla all publishers are scum and predatory like that and getting worse with time what you gonna do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just don't buy 'em lmaooo
That response is the reason DOA is where's its at in the first place...

It's probably not productive to criticize what exactly sets off the spark that can unite most of us in finally taking on KT for everything they've done. The opportunity is here, so use it. No reason to complain about how we got here or turn on eachother again. Say what you will about how silly hair colour is, but I think even the most competitive among us would say it's something they would have liked to see implemented fairly into the game some time, even if they don't see it as a big deal either way. Personally, wither it cost nothing or $5 I'd have wanted literally just one new hair colour for one character if given a fair way to get it, and I could live just fine without it too. Instead they finally gave us something I know many fellow fans supporting this series have wanted for years and used it as an opportunity to show us that they think we really are stupid. If someone keeps insulting you and the people around you, you can ignore it and even walk away if you want, or you can finally stand up for yourself.

I don't even cries, but I see it why in recent years Koei start to be "The huge disappointment" Tecmo/Team Ninja and even GUST shouldn't working with them. They doesn't even have an 'Honor' they're completely dishonor!

Last edited:

Or, wait for it... people could take advantage and strike while the iron is hot to mention it to them via it's netplay on the current chaos with the hair color shenanigans.

No one bats an eye typically because DOA has bigger surge of casual players that don't develop an interest for it. Not enough people to care for it unfortunately really.

To sum things up, we need you @WAZAAAAA as well as anyone else in this forum! :)

Let's use the hair scandal as a "window" to request major things to save the franchise : more stages, better netcode, creative modes and the return of tag, new movesets, a real use for Zack Dollars, Leon, etc.

People are not fighting over a color pallet, they are using the illusion of it in order to paint the game we truly deserve as a community.

To sum things up, we need you @WAZAAAAA as well as anyone else in this forum! :)

Let's use the hair scandal as a "window" to request major things to save the franchise : more stages, better netcode, creative modes and the return of tag, new movesets, a real use for Zack Dollars, Leon, etc.

People are not fighting over a color pallet, they are using the illusion of it in order to paint the game we truly deserve as a community.

Yes. I love you very much. I hope you know that. What you said right there is strategic elements right there. Excellent KwonJigglypuff.

Last edited:
I wrote to Kayane on Twitter.
Please retweet (if you are optimistic or want to take action) so she can relay the bad publicity.

We need faces to promote our message. Sure she has left DOA but she is still quite respected and TN would not hesitate to use her to promote both a "female-friendly" and competitive aspect for the game. So let's try to collaborate with her too!

translation
@Kayane as a respected voice and (early) fan of DOA, what is your opinion of the business decisions from @koeitecmogames regarding DLCs? Could you relay some of our requests? #DOA6

We might need you to highlight our suggestions, both from a competitive and casual perspective. With the latest scandal in progress (hair colors), it is an opportunity to save this franchise and its sinking community. Thank you! #DOA6

The idea would be to ensure that the policy of @koeitecmogames has less influence on the creativity of @TeamNINJAStudio ! It is a bit utopian, but what do you think? Have a good day! #DOA6

Uniforme d'arts martiaux
Point d'exclamation cœur
Jeu vidéo

This is response I got back from the inquiry I made. For some reason they didn't try to explain that the DLC is as design, just that they took my feedback, really.

"
Thank you for your valuable opinions and requests.

We will carefully review your input and share your reports with the relevant departments for this product.

For details about new product updates, please check the following URL for any new announcements:
http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/

http://www.koeitecmoeurope.com/

At this stage, we would like to close our correspondence for your inquiry.

Please note that you will be unable to post to this page one month from today.

You know what? I've been thinking. The headline for this thread is not exactly news if you think about it, right?

"Koei Tecmo is Deceiving & Scamming Loyal Dead or Alive Players"

This has been a true statement for a very long time, right? At least since DoA6 released, for sure. We know it too, we talk about it here all time time every time there is a release of DLC. A lot of us have rationalized it or ignored it and we just let Koei Tecmo keep getting away with it. We scrutinized everything, the details and the quality of everything Koei Tecmo allows to be put out for DoA6, which makes us a lot less likely to buy any of it, and we generally keep that information among the community (I mean, what else can we do, we're not going to go spread the word over every little thing, right?).

What's been happening is that, we're fans who understand what they have been doing until now but we've been allowing them to continue with releasing and advertising low quality content for high prices, letting them take advantage of consumers who are less informed about what they're purchasing. That's what needs to change now. If we want their sales on dlc to fall, we need to get the word out that buying it is a waste of money and that buying it is buying into a scam. Not to shame anyone, I've bought some too in the past, and although I can rationalize that its some of the better quality content they've released, I wish I had actually started my boycott earlier and not bought even that much. But then, I really didn't expect them to get this bad about it.

I mean, stuff like the latest DLC being worse than how it was in DOA5, as I've seen some people point out. If that's true, maybe we should share that information more, preferably with proof? In places like twitter or directly to their posts where they're trying to advertise that DLC? Same with gameplay issues like input lag.

Last edited:
@WAZAAAAA - For what it's worth, I and many others here respect you for what you do to contribute to the community. I have noticed in the past that your posts and uncoverings don't get the appreciation they deserve around here. I retweeted one of your tweets about input lag @ koeitecmo and doatec, because a lot of us care about that stuff too, not just hair colour.

They noticed the Doa fans spending a hundred dollars for each season pass so they know the same gamers will spend the money to keep changing hair colors

And they sadly will. So called "whales" are unfortunately a thing and a company doesn't need that many to generate loads of money.

But why do whales even exist in the first place? If we go by the definition created in terms of gatcha and ftp games, then Whales exist because they thrive on the community that they're in, that's their ocean. Whales are a minority of a game's players that spend more than the average players spends, but they do it because there is a community there in the first place playing online with them. The ones who play for free or don't spend money go online and the whales buy all the DLC to show off to those players. If whales can't find anyone online or can't get viewers for their twitch streams, then maybe they'll drop the game too. I'm not saying we should drop the game just to starve the whales, but I'm making a possible argument against the idea that this game or any game can survive on whales alone.

But why do whales even exist in the first place? If we go by the definition created in terms of gatcha and ftp games, then Whales exist because they thrive on the community that they're in, that's their ocean. Whales are a minority of a game's players that spend more than the average players spends, but they do it because there is a community there in the first place playing online with them. The ones who play for free or don't spend money go online and the whales buy all the DLC to show off to those players. If whales can't find anyone online or can't get viewers for their twitch streams, then maybe they'll drop the game too. I'm not saying we should drop the game just to starve the whales, but I'm making a possible argument against the idea that this game or any game can survive on whales alone.

DoA whales are different in the sense that status isn’t their main motivation for spending money. They really love customizing the characters and are emotionally invested in a different way than most fans. Not in the way that you are attached to your main because you’ve been playing as them for years. It’s probably similar to the way most pet owners feel about their animal companions. There are not many games that cater to their needs, so they are loyal to the brand.

Also some people with a lot of disposable income might not even think about the cost of microtransactions.

Finally there are players out there that must own all available content.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD