Kotaku: Hayashi and Shimbori comment about competitive play

In a recent article on Kotaku, Evan Narcisse asked Yohei Shimbori and Yosuke Hayashi about their thoughts of fighting games and competitive play. The responses were interesting. I've included the full article since honestly the article is so short that it really is just two quotes:

evo-crowd-2.png

Evan Narcisse said:
When I asked Team Ninja lead Yosuke Hayashi and Dead or Alive 5 director Yohei if they'd implemented any changes to the game specifically in anticipation of its reception by the fighting game community, they answered that that's not how they approach design. "We want to appeal to all levels of skill," said Shimbori. Right now, the dev team is working on game balance, he elaborated, to make DOA5 a fun game first. Shimbori mused that any adoption by the tournament scene comes later and emerges as a happy corollary to the enjoyment average players get.

I also asked the Team Ninja developers what they think separates the competitive tournament player from someone who just plays titles like DOA just for laughs. "In a way, the pro player is there to show off," Yosuke replied. "His skill comes from a lot of practice and dedication and the best platform to demonstrate that is in competition. A casual player just wants to have fun, but the pro wants to win against other players like himself to prove his devotion. Sometimes, it's ego involved, too, because you want everyone to know how good you are."

Source: Kotaku

I'm half and half on this, although the "Ego" part can be right at times, I get a slight sour taste from him when it comes to his thoughts on Tournament/Competitive play, that's just me of course.

Eh, he said "SOMETIMES ego is involved" anyway.

So they want to please both the "casual" and "hardcore" audience... I only hope they will not fuck up like they did with Ninja Gaiden 3

Mind you I stated "AT TIMES" which aka mean "SOMETIMES"

DOA5 Alpha demo is better than DOA4 in its entirety, DOA5 E3 Build was better than DOA5 Alpha in its entirety...NG3...sucked the moment it was revealed...

People talk about Competitive play. That is the main reason why a lot of people walk away from fighting games. Pro Players make it more about their ego and showing off than just having fun. It ruins and desensitizes a game. Why can't people just have fun?
People turned a simple aspect of winning a match into: "oh now we have to worry about mechanics because something aint right" naw, what it is yall cant take a loss. Period. Thats whats messed up "fun".
Yosuke is right ego... sometimes really does get in the way. I kinda feel like him too. Its not the fact about competitive play i'm worried about, its the ego. I feel some pro players try to make the game based around them and them only.

Good thing most Pro players I know actually try to help lesser players and leave their Egos behind...

I dislike when people label something on an entire Community. Uh oh, a black guy's walking past a white woman...better hide your purse...lol

DOA was always about "Fun", Hayashi is basically restated something that was with this game from the birth of its existence. We stuck with DOA long enough so why not add some "Competitiveness" to the already present "Fun" foundation.

Team Ninja is well aware of the disconnect between Competitive Players and Regular Players in the sense that Competitive Players may pick up on certain technical aspects that greatly affect tournament play but won't necessarily affect normal livingroom play. They are also aware of the ratio that competitive players represent in terms of sales. As involved competitive players may be, they still represent a minority of players. So it would be ridiculous for them to only base the entire game on feedback received from such a select group of players. On the flip side, competitive players animate communities which can be used as references for potential buyers. So if feedback from communities ain't good, chance are that sales won't be either. Take NG3 for example.

I think Pro players biggest problem with this game being for casual players is it make them a bit more equal because of it simplicity.....DOA5 Pro players don't have the mechanics that would set the above casuals

Also realize that when being directly quoted for an interview, they will not flatly say "We clearly want to prioritize the interests of competitive players over the more casual", even if that is indeed their actual intention with development.

The "Positive PR Factor".

i know that. its just i cant stand when ego is involved. its makes people don't want to play no more.

Ego is always involved. I'd say it plays a more influential role for casuals than it does for competitive players.

When I beat a casual, they usually get mad and claim I'm spamming the same move, using throws, or some other "cheap" tactic. When I ask them how I should be playing, they don't have a real answer for me.

However, when I lose to a casual, they have nothing to say. Even if I play the exact same way and just let them get a few more hits so they win. Either they'll say nothing, or mouth off about being better than me even though I used "cheap tactics". Either way, it's their ego talking.

When most competitive players lose, they look at why they lost and try to become a better player. There's still some ego involved, but it's more about improving and winning that run-back, than it is about losing and having your ego hurt.

Ego is not really not what im trying to say, its more than that. Pro players try to set their mechanics standards higher than casuals.

Thank you Dr.

If you beat them: You're either cheating, have no life, or is spamming.

If they beat you: You're trash, you're a scrub, or you need to learn how to play the game.

Besides the system...."Counter Holds" is the main mechanic that helps out the lesser player. The casual player does not know anything about a game's system mechanics so when they're being punished for their mistakes, it's completely our fault for exploiting them.

I'm no Pro, but my mindset is nowhere near Casual.

I don't understand how that statement became about ego.....To me its about making casual players and pro players more equal oppose to pro players being able to dominate the game

Pros dont want casuals to be on their level basically.

That makes no sense at all.

Pro players want a fair game, whoever is better should win, not a flawed system mechanic helping out the lesser player.

From my understanding Pro players go out their way to help out the Casuals, but since said players care more for Skirts/Dresses over Frame Traps/Option Selects then how can they be helped if their interest is elsewhere?

Also, Daigo Umehara wrote a book titled "The Will to Keep Winning", wonder how many Casual players bought that......

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD