Leifang Matchup discussion

GLoRToR

Do we have matchup data with her yet?
Who does she have advantage, disadvantage against, who does she go even with?

NightAntilli

Nothing official yet, but I'd say that Tina & Mila are bad matchups for her as of now. When the patch comes out, things will have to be revised too.

NightAntilli

Nope.. I might get one in the future, but hearing the rumors of the PS4 and next Xbox being released this year, chances are slim that I'll get one. If the PS4 has backwards compatibility, we might still be able to play DOA5 if I get one.

In any case, spacing characters are also quite hard for Leifang, because almost all her long range moves are slow. She's at her best when she's the one controlling the spacing, crushing, parrying and so on. If the opponent makes that hard on her, she's gonna have trouble, which is why Jann Lee is also quite hard for her since he spaces much better than her. Mila can also space well. Tina is a bad matchup because her grabs are very dangerous to Leifang's defensive game, and she crushes almost as good as Leifang.

She's good against pretty much anyone else though.

GLoRToR

From what I've seen Mila is dead upclose, parry and punish all day, right?
Tina I never fought but I'm looking to watch some matches and decide. Her moveset seems to be set-up dependent so as soon as you know what she's capable of she'll be easier to deal with?
As for JL, mostly stepping him, he seems pretty linear?

NightAntilli

Mila isn't that unsafe as far as I know. And she can easily go into her sidestep grab. Leifang is linear, and her mid circulars are all mid string, so she's really vulnerable to that setup from Mila. You then have the choice to break it and be at a disadvantage, or simply take the damage. Not too great. Mila also outspaces Leifang because she has faster ranged moves and can move around faster than her.

Tina is a bad matchup due to her grabs mostly. They are so powerful, so it's better for Leifang to leave her parrying at home. Tina is also a good crusher and has nice mixups. She has a superior ground and wall game to Leifang too. The only stage where that doesn't affect the match much is the Tatami stage (the empty one), and maybe Dead or Alive since it's quite big.

People say JL is linear, but he really isn't that linear compared to Leifang. He has quite a few circular moves. He has a low, a bunch of mid ones, and a few high ones, and he doesn't need strings to actually use them, but they are individual moves. All of Leifang's circulars that are not highs, are from strings, so she can get hit out of her strings before the circular hits the crushing move of the opponent. JL also has superior sidestepping moves. His sidestep P currently leaves him at +0, which basically means he still outspeeds you, even if you block it.

Brute

Standard Donor
Something tells me Leifang is stuck at mid tier this game. :(
Any idea who the top are?
There's an entire thread discussing that, but common picks include Jan Lee and Gen Fu.

You also hold a fairly uncommon opinion. Most consider Lei Fang in her current form to be one of the better characters in the game. At least upper-mid if not higher. She has great tools for almost any situation, with parries, expert holds, combo throws, a ridiculous amount of OHs, useful natural combos, great stun prowess, poke abilities and some other odd attributes like 1P+K. Her only real downsides are that she does low damage per strike and her distance/range is somewhat lacking (except in regard to some funky attacks like 1P+K).

I would wager Lei Fang has very few bad match-ups. I don't know if anyone's collected that data, but if anyone here knows, I think it would be Mr. Wah (he's been compiling some match-up data in the tier list discussion thread).

phoenix1985gr

In her state prepatch shes definetely top 5 her only weakness is her ranged game... Also her 1 p+k hasnt got that much of a range... it just evades a lot, you cant use it as an advancing move... your best bet is 6h+k (and hope they wont step) run and block or oh (which just knocks down)

The characters i struggle the most from my online play is tina (although im getting better) helena jahn lisa and for some stupid reason elliot lol

Brute

Standard Donor
In her state prepatch shes definetely top 5 her only weakness is her ranged game... Also her 1 p+k hasnt got that much of a range...
It can hit people a good four feet further than her actual hands go. xD

But yeah, I agree range is her one weakness.

Brute

Standard Donor
Can you ask him to elaborate? Or is he not so much into educating us ?
It should be pretty obvious. Good mix-up, an expert hold for all 6 strike types, a stance that leads into an OH and parries all mid/high punches, a mid parry for all kicks/punches, and high parry for all kicks/punches, an absurdly strong 1P+K attack, more offensive holds than most grapplers, stun lock potential, good high crushes, good pokes, decent speed/power balance, natural combos (though I think 1PP did just get nerfed)... literally the only thing she's lacking is range.

I don't see why he would need to elaborate. It should be pretty obvious. If you don't agree with his analysis, please, inform us as to why all that stuff doesn't make her upper tier.

Brute

Standard Donor
Because I'm pretty much beginner level, and Lei is my favourite character in the entire series. I feared that she'd not be as good as I assessed her to be. :)
Well, I mean, those are pretty much the reasons. I wouldn't say she's top tier, but she's definitely high up and as a choice for a main, she's very solid and has few bad match-ups. She is that good.

phoenix1985gr

Leifang also never had an natural (unholdable) combo... 1pp on normal hit was that you cant block the second p but you could always hold it (unlike jahns 4ppp or ayanes bt 33kkk) But yeah she is good, but there is no way shes better then jahn i would say against gen too because of his speed and damage being better plus better hold punish with his 236 and 214T and if you re unlucky and fight him in a ceiling stege hes even more deadly...

GLoRToR

I'll wait with picking up a character until I see good data instead of guessing.
I suffered enough in a fighting game for sticking with the wrong main for too long.
I want to win this time :p

Ooobe

I find it kind of funny, in the tier list thread she's been ranked near top countless times, but I don't think there's more than one matchup in the table (Zack loses 7:3) and almost no discussion. It's like everyone says she's top, but no one says why.
I think she has enough tools that she can adapt to every opponent. But many also opponents shut down one or two avenues of her attacks. I personally have a hard time opening up a defensive player with her.
1p+k doesn't have the reach it did anymore. I used it to both cause and punish whiffs - probably an incorrect use.
I'd agree she loses to Gen and Jann and I'd add the VF chars too. Pai's too fast for her, though that one's close.
I think she's a good match for Christie, Helena and Kokoro and she beats Rig too, though that's close as well.
Everyone thinks Eliot's a loser, so I'll put him there and I think Mila is a close win (actually Tina too, though no one will agree with me on that). I can't comment on new Hitomi, but everyone else is likely a draw (though I've probably forgotten some obvious match up).
I'd be interested in thought's on her match up with Brad - I find his evasion beats hers and it annoys me.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD