Characters Momiji Throw Punish Thread

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
:momiji:

Frame Data

Tier 1 (6i & 7i)
:P::P::P::4::P: (-2)(-6)(-9)(-11) (:high::high::mid::mid:) (NT)(NT)(NT)(NT)
:P::P::K::P: (-2)(-6)(-14)(-9) (:high::high::mid::mid:) (NT)(NT)(NT)(NT)
:P::K: (-2)(-7) (:high::high:) (NT)(T)
:8::P: (-11) (:high:) (NT)
:6::P::P: (-12)(-11) (:mid::mid:) (NT)(NT)
:6::P::K::P: (-12)(-14)(-9) (:mid::mid::mid:) (NT)(NT)
:6::6::P::P: (-5)(-12) (:mid::mid:) (NT)(T)
:4::P: (-9) (:mid:) (T)
:4::4::P:(:8:) (-8~-10) (:mid:) (T)
:3::P::4::P::P: (-9)(-10)(-12) (:mid::mid::mid:) (NT)(T)(T)
:3::3::P: (-7) (:high:) (NT)
:236::P: (-12) (:mid:) (T)
:1::P::P: (-10 (-7 on hit))(-9) (:low::mid:) (T)(T)
:K::P: (-11)(-8) (:high::high:) (NT)(NT)
:8::K: (-12) (:high:) (NT)
:6::K::P: (-14)(-9) (:mid::mid:) (NT)(NT)
:6::6::K: (-12) (:mid:) (NT)
:3::K::P:(:8:) (-8)(-11) (:mid::mid:) (NT)(T) (Note: Can be jump cancelled. Going for a high crush is not a bad options)
:2::K: (-9 (-3 on hit)) (:low:) (NT)
:P::+::K: (-8) (:mid:) (NT)
:4::P::+::K: (non PB version) (-10) (:mid:) (NT)
:236::P::+::K: (PL) (-22) (:mid:) (NT)
:236::P::+::K::P::P::P: (-22)(-19)(-19)(-9) (:mid::high::high::mid:) (NT)(NT)(NT)(NT)
:h::+::K: (-5~-7) (:high:) (T) (Note: only punish when you block a deep hit. A shallow one is always safe)
:6::h::+::K: (-10) (:mid:) (NT)
(:9:):P::P: (-17)(-10) (:high::high:) (T)(T)
(:9:):P::K: (-17)(-15) (:high::mid:) (T)(T)
BT :P: (-8) (:high:) (NT)
BT :4::P::P: (-10)(-7) (:mid::high:) (T)(NT)
BT :K: (-7) (:high:) (T) (Note: while the same as :h::+::K:, but consistently more punishable due to her moving forward).

Uzukaze (:9::P:, :P::P::8:, :3::K::P::8:, etc.)
:P::P: (-17)(-10) (:high::high:) (T)(T)
:P::K: (-17)(-15) (:high::mid:) (T)(T)

Tier 2 (8i & 10i)
:P::P::K::P: (-2)(-6)(-14)(-9) (:high::high::mid::mid:) (NT)(NT)(NT)(NT)
:6::P::K::P: (-12)(-14)(-9) (:mid::mid::mid:) (NT)(NT)
:4::P: (-9) (:mid:) (T)
:4::4::P:(:8:) (-8~-10) (:mid:) (T)

:1::P::P: (-10 (-7 on hit))(-9) (:low::mid:) (T)(T)
:6::K::P: (-14)(-9) (:mid::mid:) (NT)(NT)
:3::K::P:(:8:) (-8)(-11) (:mid::mid:) (NT)(T) (Note: jump cancellable, so watch out. Going for a high crush is not a bad options)
:2::K: (-9 (-3 on hit)) (:low:) (NT)
:4::P::+::K: (non PB version) (-10) (:mid:) (NT)

:236::P::+::K::P::P::P: (-22)(-19)(-19)(-9) (:mid::high::high::mid:) (NT)(NT)(NT)(NT)
:6::h::+::K: (-10) (:mid:) (NT)

:P::P: (-17)(-10) (:high::high:) (T)(T)
:P::K: (-17)(-15) (:high::mid:) (T)(T)

Tier 3 (11i & 12i)

(:9:):P::K: (-17)(-15) (:high::mid:) (T)(T)

Neutral Standing (4i & 5i)
:P::P::4::P: (-2)(-6)(-5) (:high::high::mid:) (NT)(NT)(T)
:P::P::6::P: (-2)(-6)(-5) (:high::high::high:) (NT)(NT)(NT)
:214::P::P::+::K: (-6)(-6) (:mid::mid:) (NT)(NT) (Note: not actually holdable or SSable due to jailing.)
:6::P::+::K: (-5) (:high:) (NT)
SS :K: (-5) (:mid:) (NT)
:K::K: (-11)(-6) (:high::mid:) (NT)(NT) (Note: not actually holdable or SSable due to jailing. Only SS the first hit and use SS :P: to punish.)
:9::K: (-5) (:high:) (T)
:4::K: (-5) (:mid:) (NT)

SS :P: (-5) (:high:) (NT)

Tier 1 Low (3i, 4i, & 5i)
:2::P: (-5) (:low:) (NT)
:1_::P::K: (-10 (-7 on hit))(-15) (:low::low:) (T)(T)
:2::h::+::K: (-14) (:low:) (T)
BT :2::P: (-5) (:low:) (T)
BT :2::K: (-14) (:low:) (T)

Tier 2 Low and Low OH (10i and Slower)

:1_::P::K: (-10 (-7 on hit))(-15) (:low::low:) (T)(T)
:2::h::+::K: (-14) (:low:) (T)
BT :2::K: (-14) (:low:) (T)

Strike Punishment

9i​
:3::K::P:(:8:) (-8)(-11) (:mid::mid:) (NT)(T) (Note: jump cancellable, so watch out. Going for a high crush is not a bad options)

10i​

13i​
Uzukaze (:9::P:, :P::P::8:, :3::K::P::8:, etc.) :P::K: (-17)(-15) (:high::mid:) (T)(T)

Slower than 20i​
:236::P::+::K: (Power Launcher) (-22) (:mid:) (NT)
:7::K: (-25) (:mid:) (NT) Requires very early punishment attempt.
BT :h::+::K: Can be baited to whiff if you take no action with any strike.

Other

Momiji's major gimmick is her double jump and she has loads of ways to getting into it. Once you visually see it and learn how to get out of it, it becomes a lot easier concentrating on punishing and just playing this game. Or maybe you just want to hold an opponent and get in their head.

She has two different type of jumps. First is the hop and the second is the flight stance. The hop is accessible manually by :9::P: and has a few moves from that hop and can also transition into the hop from some strings.

String/moves which transition into hop:
:P::P::8:
:4::4::P::8:
:3::K::P::8:

while in the hop, she has access to these options:
:P::P: (:high::high:) (T)(T)
:P::K: (:high::mid:) (T)(NT)
:K: (:mid:) (NT) (We'll touch more on this in a little bit)

Now, you may not be seeing these options be used much outside of hit, because a) they're all, with the exception of the :K: option are unsafe and easily avoidable and b) Bass has some good options to avoid these with options like :4::4::P::+::K: (needs buffer and decent timing to beat out all options, but tends to miss, but very good answer to the :K: option as it is the most abusive), :426::P::+::K: (consistently beats out all the above options) and even a simple :2::P::P:/:1::P: (cannot beat the :K: option).

Still, it's good to know these options for when you're in stun and feel like you have a good read on someone.

One particular option that is very abusive in this case, is the :K: option which transitions into flight stance, so let's get into that now:

:9::P::P::+::K: is the standard way of getting into the flight stance.

This is the most abusive tool often used by Momiji players. Kind of like Zato's Eddie spawn or Jam's card. It has to be used.

She has a couple of standard ways of getting into this stance from string:
:P::P::K::K: (:high::high::mid::mid:)
:6::P::K::K: (:mid::mid::mid:)
:6::K::K: (:mid::mid:)
(notice the pattern?)

These are not easy to react to and takes time to train yourself to visually react to them or it's also a very good idea to buffer mid kick hold when pressing buttons, to have the option select to fall back on. Bass' mid kick holds are good damage and keeps an opponent close to you. Just be mindful of fake outs and throws to punish your holds. As much as it may psychologically affect you, that shouldn't necessarily deter you from stopping the abuse of the flight stance.

When you do actually end up getting caught with this stance, keep in mind that she has a select few options from the flight stance:
:P: (:high::mid:) (NT) Two-hit GB move that leave her at -1
:K: (:high:) (NT) Cause a non-staggerable faint stun and double as her secondary CH. -2 on block
:h::+::P: (:high:) This is her launcher throw which gives her damage. As a heavy weight character, you can still take good damage, but it's not as bad what light-meds take in comparison, but it's best not to get caught with this in the first place.
:P::+::K: (:mid:) PB. It's fairly noticeable and you can potentially react to it and punish it.

General advice when you're actually hit during the transition (like a :6::K::K: on hit) is to just hold low and get hit with the :P:. That way you minimize the damage taken and avoid further mixups or worse get caught by the throw while holding. She does have a pseudo FT from that situation with :1::P::1::K:, but if you tech and block/hold the second kick, that should also force the opponent to explore other options and not play a brain dead game.

On block however, it's a different story as outside of hop to flight transitions (like :9::P::P::+::K:), she transitions straight into it from a GB (+14) and all the options can be fuzzy guarded and throw punished with the exception of the :P: and the :P::+::K:, which require different approaches such as holding or SS as both are mid punches.

In ver1.04, she's been slightly changed in terms of her tool set. :6::K: and all related variations simply cause a launch on counter hit or critical stun. This can be beneficial to the defending player as the Momiji player is forced to either go for the (:6::K:):K: followup into her flight transition for damage or sacrifice damage.

SilverForte

Just want to point out a few things. first, yes while in stun it is usually best to hold low and just get hit by the P stance, but a smart momiji will put you in such a stun that if you do get hit by the P, she can still get a combo afterwards. On block a smart momiji will also pretty much always go for the P followup, as everything else can be fuzzy guarded, and it leaves her at -1, so a psuedo frame trap depending on the character.

Also, new 6k gives her a full combo on counter hit launch now, 6kk followups are now simply for quick guaranteed damage.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD