New Details Emerge for DOA5+: Combo Training

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Tecmo Koei EU Community Manager Chin Soon Sun recently posted on the PlayStation Blog some new information of the upcoming Dead or Alive 5+ game for the PlayStation Vita. News includes details on the touch screen first person view combat mode and a new combo training mode similar to the ones found in Street Fighter IV or BlazBlue. Some veterans may notice the training dummy is Ayane's DOA1 outfit on Kasumi, in pink. So more potential DLC in the works it seems.

8473493034_f4b1edd9a1_o.jpg

Greeting PlayStation Blog. Today we are going to share the new Touch Fight and training details that will be available for the first time in Dead or Alive 5+ for PlayStation Vita, due in stores from 22nd March 2013.

As fans await the game’s launch, Team Ninja is helping dedicated players get ready for the new, more personal style of touch combat that maximizes the PS Vita’s gorgeous OLED display by putting the opponent front and center. In the competitive world of DOA fighting, those who are best prepared will be the first ones to top the leaderboards!

With previously announced features such as triple the amount of frame data and impressive cross-device functionality with shared purchases and cross-platform online matches, Dead or Alive 5+ is shaping up to set a new benchmark for handheld combat.

The intuitive “Touch Fight” mode, newly created for Dead or Alive 5+, lets players attack opponents with simple taps or swipes of the touchscreen, offering a second fighting mode alongside traditional button-based control. In this mode, combat is shown from a first-person perspective to put players in the middle of the action for the most intuitive DOA fighting experience to date.

Players can hold the PS Vita horizontally for a full widescreen view of the interactive battle stage, or vertically to enjoy a close-up view of the opposing character.

A range of attacks are available via touch and swipe, and landing a five-hit combo will trigger a Critical Burst, leaving an opponent open for even more punishment. Characters will react based on where they are touched or attacked, combining the realistic feel of a first-person view with full player control. Swiping in different directions unleashes different moves.

For instance, swipe upward to launch your opponent flying into the air, opening up the opportunity to perform an air combo. Pinching the touchscreen will result in a hold if your opponent is striking or a throw if your opponent is guarding, standing, or executing a hold. When a throw or Power Blow is executed, the screen perspective changes to a cinematic view so players can enjoy watching their character dish out the punishment.

To help players master the intense martial arts techniques available in Dead or Alive 5+, the game includes several new training modes. In “Free Training” mode, players can choose exactly which moves and combos they want to practice. Serious fighters can to take their skills to the next level by isolating their weak points and drilling them to perfection.

In “Command Training”, players practice the moves of each character until they become second nature, advancing to the next move only after they master the previous one – but if they get stuck they can watch move demos to help master it.

“Tutorial” mode gives players a solid grounding from basic moves to advanced combos and fighting strategy, with both lesson and mission segments to learn and then test the moves in action.

Finally, “Combo Challenge” allows players to select a character they truly want to master and then practice that character’s key moves and combos until they can be summoned instinctively without hesitation.

8472403429_6d11e5a097_o.jpg

Source: PlayStation Blog

synce

Kasumi gets a pink version of Ayane's training dummy suit eh... And judging from the generic logo on that cheer costume I guess all 12 girls are getting it. Then there's the new swimsuits and reverse bunnies, so I guess that makes at least 4 more DLC packs

Ghosty-J

I'm definitely looking forward to that Combo Training mode so I can get a better hang of using my subs. As far as DLC costumes go, I frankly don't care anymore since I'm convinced the males won't be getting anything. Or at least anything worth paying for. Guess I'll have to deal with it and just stick with Akira's only 3 costumes (not counting Santakira) |:^[

SilverForte

Same ghosty, really all I care about are costumes for Ryu and Akira at this point, the females got more than enough by now. Maybe if they give them something that is actually interesting instead of fanservice I'll notice. Kasumis Doa++ ninja suit would be one such choice.

Kronin

The tutorial and the combo challenge are really good additions: in Doa5 the first is reductive that is just included in the story mode to try it; and about the second, until now the only thing more close to it was the command list in DOAOL, that together with the command moves includes also the commands for some combos. It's a shame that surely they will not arrive for the console version.

About the outfits I hope that the DLC of the psvita version will not remain just to the sony consoles, but that they will arrive also on Xbox.

riceman789

Great post Mr.Wah...very excited to put my hands on DOA5+ when it comes out. Also looking to see you at Winter Brawl my dude!

Nightpup

THAT KASUMI OUTFIT IN THE FIRST PICTURE...
She's getting a training dummy suit?! YESYESYESYESYESYESYES ALL MY LOVE TN.

Zeo

First person fighting eh? VF3 did that over a decade ago but no one payed any attention. It was too awkward then and it still is now. It'll be fun to play with in random matches though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD