New to DOA and wanting to play Bass

OnesParadise

I recently started playing DoA and my favorite character so far is Bass. The big problem is for me is that I don't think I fully understand what his gameplan should be when it comes to fights. If anyone wants to give me any tips on Bass it'd be much appreciated

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Welcome.

When you're starting out with the character, build some distance between you and the opponent. Start using his longer pokes and get a feel for them like :3::K: or :4::K:. Don't whiff 4K though, try to land it on either hit or block.

Start other rounds by getting close and starting to use his other pokes and moves like :P::+::K:, :6::P: and :1::P:.
Just guage reaction after people get hit.

You mostly have two different types of people you'll go against;
-those that like to press more buttons because they don't like you grabbing them
-those that are pacient and trying to guage you out
If you're starting out, the first category is a lot easier to deal with.

Get used to trying to punish with grabs if you feel a move is unsafe on block. The more you do it, the better you'll react to it next time. That way you don't have to always and have to try to adapt to their style unless you're playing against ayane's or dealing with mixup heavy characters. If you punish, you slow the game down for them and force them to adapt to your pace.

Your best throws are :6::T:, :4::T: and TFBB. They're better than your strikes. You use your strikes to get to your throws.

Learn combos and setup because his are the easiest and take the least amount of time compared to other characters.

OnesParadise

I'm having a bit of trouble against people who mash to be honest. Sometimes when I try to punish a Christie or Kasumi that I know is unsafe, Bass misses the grab. Is there a reason that someone can mash punch and get away with that or am I just bad (more than likely this).

Thank you!

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm having a bit of trouble against people who mash to be honest. Sometimes when I try to punish a Christie or Kasumi that I know is unsafe, Bass misses the grab. Is there a reason that someone can mash punch and get away with that or am I just bad (more than likely this).

Thank you!
The best way of making sure you get a punish is holding the throw direction and mashing the throw button combo or the macro. This helps you develop the habbit of punishing what you see as unsafe and makes it muscle memory after repetative punishment. This is especially useful for punishing lows. If you play other games and have a habit of holding downback, you can keep holding the direction and mash throw.

Keep in mind, :4::T: has less range than :6::T:, so keep that in mind and start with punishing with 6T first before getting the hang of things. If you're absolutely confident in punishing things like flashkicks and really obvious stuff like people holding out of stun, then you can start going for 4T.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD