No Genra videos WTF

synce

I just realized I've never seen how this character plays outside of DOA3. Anyone know of any videos? It can be matches, combos, even command training.

Edit: Just realized my problem. Youtube was autocorrecting Genra to genre >_>

He's slow as fuuuuuck... But those projectiles look fun

SilverForte

I can help you with that Synce. I am probably one of the only people who uses Genra well. I will breakdown genra for you.

Genra is a slow, very very slow, but extremely powerful character with the best throw in the game. He focuses primary on landing his 5T and devastating with throw loops and powerful combos, he can also poke long range with his lightning.

Genras moves

PPP/PP2P/PKP/PPK- 15f startup, one of genras faster string starters. PPP is -6 on block, knocks away on hit, use the 2p variant for a low, +13 on hit, unsafe on block though. PKP bounces them off the ground allowing for a small combo if the last 2 parts hit, its also safe on block at -8, except for grapplers. PPK is only used for juggles, and is his strongest ender aside from the blade twirl. It also knocks them away a huge distance.

6PP- Genras most useful string, and his fastest at 13f. The twin headbutts are safe at -5, and can be delayed tremendously, this is what you use after landing his 5T, landing both causes a big stun allowing you to launch/whatever. The move is kinda strange in that it can chain into itself. If you hold 6 and mash P he will just continuously headbutt, kinda funny but I don't do it. Oh, and holding 4 after the 2 headbutts transitions to Tyrant stance, remember that.

66P- Genras most useful gap closer, 20f, +1 on block, large range. On hit it sends them flying full screen, perfect for lightning pokes. Just don't overestimate the range and whiff right in front of your opponent, I've done this a few times.

4P- Genras Mid launcher outside of Tyrant, it has good range and may high crush at the end of the move, but it's not consistent to me. Don't just throw this move out though, it's -14 on block, this move also hits grounded, so its good for force techs.

8P- Genras other gap closer, 19f High, -8 on block, about the same range as 66P, causes a heavy stun on normal hit, launches on counter hit and above, something to throw out if they mid hold 66P, alternative High launcher as well during stun.

2p- Genras fastest high crush, 17f is still very slow though, I almost never use this move.

7P- Just a slower headbutt that's unsafe on block at -9, the only time I ever use this move is if I want to extend stun, don't use it otherwise.

3P- Extremely slow close range mid, 24f, -5 on block, it's -4 on normal hit as well. I honestly never use this move, it's pretty much garbage. It does have a secret transition into Tyrant if you hold 4 afterward, but the move is too much trash for it to be useful.

1P- Genras best high crush, 22f, +11 on hit, +12 if at range. Has about the same range as 66P. Great move to throw out now and then, very unsafe if blocked though, -16. Also hits grounded.

KK- useless, never use this move.

6KP- Genras other "fast" string at 15f, essentially the last part of PKP, if both attacks hit it groundbounces, but not high enough for any followups unless it was counter hit, this can be used as a juggle ender if PPK won't hit.

6KK- never use this as well.

4K- Ditto, this move is horrible.

8K- this is an interesting move, but I can't really find a place to use it, 18f high, +2 on block, knocks down on hit. The thing is, this move doesn't have enough range for me to find a place to use it, it's too slow to be used close range and it's a high, which can be easily ducked or crushed. Also, because it knocks down on hit, it doesn't give Genra any momentum.

2K- 22f low, -6 on normal hit, this move is pretty bad tbh, there is only one place where I use it, and that is to extend stun. It's pretty much genras only low that extends stun, so use it for that purpose, or don't use it at all.

7K and 3K- Don't use these moves.

P+K,P,P- Force Lightning, although it may not be unlimited power, this is genras best zoning tool. Just don't ever use it from closer than half screen distance, and never,never, use the last lightning bolt as it can just be mid held, and the recovery is so bad they can just run up and throw you from full screen.

Genras other Projectiles- The fireball is a high, and can just be ducked, the tornado is a mid, and can be mid held to be avoided. Pretty much ignore these completely, as they are horrible, I may throw out the tornado from time to time as it looks cool, but really, only use the lightning.

4P+K- Raw transition to Tyrant stance, I will cover this stance later.

H+K- 24f high, -13 on block, optional transition to Tyrant stance if you hold 4 afterwards. This move serves only one purpose, and that is a launcher in stun. It sets up Genras most powerful Combo, with the Tyrant blade Twirl.

2H+K- A 28f low sweep that crushes highs, pretty much inferior to 1P aside from that it's +15 on hit, allowing a headbutt afterwards, only use this to high crush, just throwing it out is asking to get blocked and punished.

464 H+P+K- Genras Taunt, throw this out to look cool.

5T- The best throw in the game, 7f, 45 damage, gives you +15, which means you get a guaranteed headbutt afterwards, meaning this throw is a guaranteed 65 damage, what's even better is that this sets up the throw loops, once the opponent is hit by this grab, they have two options, to anticipate the 2nd headbutt, or another 5T, if they guess wrong, they die. I will get into combos using this throw later.

66T- Genras OH, standard, use this whenever you need to.

4T/HCFT- Genras other standing throws, they don't really serve any purpose unless you want to look cool or close a match with something different.

3T- Low OH ,standard, it looks awesome though.

2T- Genras low throw, powerful at 60 damage.

Genras Holds- Genras holds are nothing really special.

High punch hold- The Darth Vader Emperor throw, puts the enemy at your feet.

High Kick hold- knocks them a good distance away

Mid punch hold- A techable knockdown, take note that if they tech genra is at -, so back off.

Mid kick hold- Pretty much the same as the High kick hold.

Low punch hold- Puts the enemy at your feet

Low kick hold- Throws the enemy full screen, a good time to zone with lightning.

Aerial Kick hold- Throws them pretty far away.

Aerial punch hold- puts them at your feet.

Tyrant Stance- Accessible through 3P4, 6PP4, H+K4, or 4P+K, this stance has a variety of moves that serve different purposes.

You can press H at any time to cancel the stance quickly.

PPPPP- the blade twirl, Genras most powerful combo ender after H+K4, on its own, each P hits twice and each individual hit is a guard break, making this a psuedo unblockable as they will block the first hit and get hit by the 2nd, causing a large stun. Take note that it can be mid held. Also, holding 4 after each individual P will transition back to Tyrant.

6P- Never use this move, it's horrible.

4P- Tyrant mid launcher, 19f, +0 on block, +1 at range. Good move.

3P- Huge Range, Practically full screen, very slow at 34f though, it also Low crushes, and ground bounces on hit. +0 on block, its also unholdable, but if they do avoid it, you're getting thrown.

2P- Huge range 31f low that knocks down on hit, 35 damage. It hits grounded as well. +14 on block, and is unholdable, it also high crushes. Great move, just don't use it in close range.

K- 28f mid kick,+2 on block, hold 4 to transition back into Tyrant, I honestly can't find a use for this move, I never use it. The range is too small for how slow it is.

P+K,P- Okay first off, never use the 2nd part of this string, pretend it doesn't exist. A high guard break, +16, that also causes a large stun on hit, I personally don't use this move as it is too slow for how much range it has, 17f, and it's a high. I mainly use this move as a type of fakeout at long range, as you can hold 4 after P+K to quickly transition back into Tyrant.

Okay that about covers Genras moves, now I will get into throw loops and combos.

5T,6P,5T,6P,5T,6P, repeat. If you get a high counter throw with one of the 5T, the combo afterwards does insane damage, for example- High counter 5T,6PP,H+K4,PPPPP- 162 damage

5T,6PP,H+K4,PPPPP- 140 damage

5T,6PP,4P,PPK- 129 damage

5T,6PP,2K,H+K4,PPPPP- 149 damage

5T,6PP4,4P,PPK- 132 damage

Alternatively, you can do those combos without the 5T, just do 6PP by itself.

Ah yes one more thing, Genras 8 P+K, the ground pounce, does more damage that other chars, take this in mind.

Okay to close this off, I will discuss some final things.

In order to play Genra, you must have good defense, as in blocking. Genra is very slow, his fastest moves are 13 and 15f. Your throw punishing must be on point, as 5T is the mainstay of Genras offense and allows him to end matches in seconds. Genras worst matchups are chars with good mixups and speed such as Hitomi, and the Kasumis. The kasumis are especially troublesome because of their parries which negate the lightning zoning. Alpha is particular is a nightmare for Genra, her teleport holds which are normally crap allow her to get off free OH's against Genra due to his long recovery time on moves and his large hitbox.

Oh, and do not let Genra be in water or ice, as everything stuns and Defense is pretty much useless, Genra turns from a great character into a completely garbage one in water. If you get a completely ice/water stage from random select, you better be on point.

I hope this helps anyone interested in using Genra, message me if you would like to face me, as experience is the best teacher.

synce

Thanks for the breakdown.. I can't believe his mid is faster than his jab, and still a whopping 13f :eek: He sounds very unique, I'd like to see him return in DOA6

Tokkosho

with that breakdown he sounds like a very nice character, i would like to see his return

Nightpup

I would love for him to return; his sword attacks are so cool <3
While we're at it bring back Shiden and Raidou.

synce

SilverForte

With DOA5U coming soon I got a few questions about Genra...

Is the fire pillar unblockable like in DOA3? Any other unblockables in general? From the move list above it seems like Tyrant P, 2P, and 3P are unblockable and can only be parried but I'd like confirmation

Also, how popular was Genra online?

Edit: Just found this video, I guess no unblockables except maybe Tyrant P pseudo you mentioned

Looks so fun lol

Nightpup

A: No unblockables. Period. Though if he comes back in DOA5 I'd love for him to at least have the fire ball and make it unblockable. I mean, how the hell do you block fire?
B: Genra was only popular for those that only spammed his projectiles if they lost the round before. No one at all used him well online.

SilverForte

SilverForte

With DOA5U coming soon I got a few questions about Genra...

Is the fire pillar unblockable like in DOA3? Any other unblockables in general? From the move list above it seems like Tyrant P, 2P, and 3P are unblockable and can only be parried but I'd like confirmation

Also, how popular was Genra online?

Edit: Just found this video, I guess no unblockables except maybe Tyrant P pseudo you mentioned

Looks so fun lol

The Fire pillar was not unblockable, it was a blockable high. No unblockables at all. Only the psuedo with Tyrant P.

I met a fair share of genra players online, not one knew how to use him aside from spamming projectiles or the headbutt.

synce

Thanks I'm happy to hear at least some people used him, maybe there's a chance of his return.

Also I agree it would be great for the fire to be unblockable, it would be nice if every character had at least one such move in DOA5U

Nightpup

Thanks I'm happy to hear at least some people used him, maybe there's a chance of his return.

Also I agree it would be great for the fire to be unblockable, it would be nice if every character had at least one such move in DOA5U
I completely agree.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
This is one of the major reasons DOA is such trash.

"All the characters should have the same exact tools!"

"What do you mean this game is boring because everyone plays alike?"

Nightpup

Having same tools =/= everyone playing alike. You're basically saying if everyone had an unblockable they would all be the same move at the same height with the same input.

TRI Mike

Still, DOA is one of the few games where the same playstyle applies to the vast majority of characters. In VF5FS I use Eileen and Aoi and if I try one's strategy with the other, I get my ass handed to me.

synce

It's not like every unblockable has to be a mid punch or something. If you play SC5 you know what I mean. Natsu has an unblockable (but slow) low-hitting launcher... Hilde has an unblockable that takes like 15 seconds to charge but deals a shitload of damage. These kinds of moves add another dimension to a game.

Nightpup

It's not like every unblockable has to be a mid punch or something. If you play SC5 you know what I mean. Natsu has an unblockable (but slow) low-hitting launcher... Hilde has an unblockable that takes like 15 seconds to charge but deals a shitload of damage. These kinds of moves add another dimension to a game.

It's way more than 15 seconds. More like 40.

SilverForte

Right, but they have almost no use because you have to give up a big portion of your moveset just to charge a 30 sec unblockable.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD