Understanding Kasumi's Post Version 1.19 Ground Game Potential| Vanilla Ver.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
PicsArt_02-14-12.20.14.jpg

Hello everyone this is Kasumilover once again and I wanted to talk and sort of explain Kasumi's new ground game in DOA6 as of the recent update. As most of us know fans have long since been wanting a ground game similar to the DOA5LR ground game which is simple: knockdown, go for an attack that has a "heavy" force tech property and use the advantage from the forced get up to rushdown the oponent. In 6 although it's not exactly like LR, they gave us something a feel is better: MUCH easier no timing force tech set ups from knockbacks.

A knockback for anyone confused is an attack property that results from either using a certain attack with the property twice in a stun, or by performing a critical reversal, or exceeding the stun limit by using the attack very close to the max stun threshold. Now in DOA6, everyone can quickly pursue a stun from them, and with Kasumi she has quite a couple of ways to go for this. Be aware though that the opponent must NOT tech up by themselves for themselves to be vulnerable, however this adds a layer of risk to the opponent since they'll have to either tech up and attempt to defend against you since you're at an advantage or they can lie on the ground to avoid the pressure although this itself is risky as well.

Here are the attacks she can use to go for that knockback:

°° means that the attack wallsplats

°°° means that the attack soft wall hit/wallsplats on normal hit

~Knockback attacks that allow a force tech~

-These are attacks that are more suited for initiating a FT situation, meaning they're more suited for using at the end of a stun threshold, or as a way to end a critical stun when you want to pursue this combo damage.

°°66P- ~& if done twice~

°°°66P(K)- ~always knocks down on normal hit~

°°°P+K(P)/similar strings like P6P(P)-

°3K- ~& if done twice~

°6P/similar strings like PP6P- ~& if done twice~

°4P ~& if done twice~

°°°K3K/similar strings like PK3K-

°1K/PP2K- ~Only causes knockback from air juggle or post bound- This is her go to force tech catalyst when you want to go for force tech shenanigans after a launch, works against pretty much everyone from most of her launchers. Easy to tech up from since it's predictable but either way you'll be at the advantage if your foe techs up and you read that and use that to pressure them.

That's not the only thing that's changed either! Kasumi has received safety nerfs to specific moves that can also lead to a no timing force tech up, but overall it's very logical and makes sense:

°66K·P/similar strings like 66PP·P, and 9PK·P but without a bound- This is a great way to go for a set up since the attack does not wallsplat and has follow ups meaning the opponent will likely have to anticipate your force up setup since they'll likely expect you to go for a Hoshinpo teleport cancel ender. Is unsafe however at -16 on block.

°9PP- Unsafer now at -5 on block but this also does not wall splat and is very easy to go for a force tech set up now.

Kasumi also has a great deal of moves she can use to force the opponent up! The attacks listed below are her go to force tech moves and I'll elaborate on them and their uses. Remember that in force tech set ups you can mix and match attacks to force the opponent up but it's also possible to perform an attack twice as well to pursue it too(for more move info, please refer to my Kasumi beginner guide):

~Go to Force Techs~

-These attacks are different from the ones above, as they're suited to use when your foe is put into the FT situation and you need the right attacks to poke and force them up. They must be done back to back within the short period of time required or else the foe will remain on the ground.

°2P- Her best force tech imo, this is a quick 12i low poke that has very low recovery and grants +24 frame advantage if used to successfully tech the opponent up from a set up like 66PK>2P>2P. Although her best force tech, the range is poor and isn't so safe to use in open space. This is best when used near a wall or corner so that way the wall "cages" the opponent so they don't go far out of your range to hit. This is also fairly safe to whiff if your opponent techs up immediately so you won't have to worry much if the opponent techs up.

This has a sticky input window as well. If used as the catalyst force tech(first), you'll get +29 on the ground allowing all tech options besides 4H+K to be used.

°2K- Her 2nd quickest force tech, this is only 14i and has better range but kicks the opponent to the side. Because of this it can make it hard to use as a double force tech(using the kick twice to attempt a set up) but it's useful after other ones like 1P. Provides +18 which is low compared to 2P, but still a great amount of advantage. If used as the catalyst force tech, you'll gain +23 while they're on the ground allowing virtually any of your options to be used.

°1P- Her 3rd quickest force tech which is 16i and gives you +19 on successful force up. The range is good and the pushback isn't so bad so it's one of her easiest to use. May be risky if it whiffs but it has a high lift stun follow up that provides a deep stun making it a good way to check throw attempts and attempt to counter you if the opponent gets up quick and tries to punish you. Grants +24 if used as the catalyst tech if opponent is lying on the ground allowing your options to be varied besides 4H+K which is too slow.

°9K- Another swift tech at 18i, it gives you +19! Another simple one to use since it has a safe follow up for if your opponent does get up quickly, and it has dual flip follow up that will grant +18 if the opponent doesn't tech up after the first attempt making it fairly striaghtforward! This follow up however is unsafe and risky if whiffed. If you use this as the catalyst force tech, you'll gain +24 on the ground!

°4H+K- Her slowest go to tech at 22i but this is probably one of her easiest to use and it gives a massive +23! It has great range making it good for open space as well as walls and the recovery is smaller, making it less hazardous to use if whiffed. Although 2P is definitely better to use when you're able to, this is no slouch either! If you use this as the catalyst force tech, you'll get +27 from the ground allowing you to use any of your options from the go tos!

°1K- Possibly one of her worst force techs but it's still useful: 20i, but it only gives +13 because of the lengthy recovery which makes it scary to even whiff. If used as the catalyst force tech, you'll be given +18 to work with to pursue another tech to force them up but this smaller window limits to34ur options to really 2P or 2K.

Now there are also attacks that may not be ideal force techs, but they are useful as catalysts to them since the advantage you gain on the ground if the opponent is just lying down allows you to use a force tech that's quick enough to tech them up!

~Force Tech Catalysts/Alternatives~

-These attacks are similar to the first set of attacks listed but unlike then, they're moves that can often put the foe into a vulnerable state raw that allows you to pursue a FT without having to risk a stun set up although these are somewhat more reactable and more suited for outside stuns when you're fishing for CH pokes.

*9K(K)/Similar strings- Her 25i follow up that hits grounded opponents. Provides +24 on initial ground hit, allowing you to use any of her force techs besides 4H+K since its a bit too slow to get a force up since it barely fits the +24 since its 22i.

*P+K(P)/Similar strings- Her 22i ender which grants +25 on the ground allowing basically all of her go to options to work to work the opponent up besides 4H+K which is too slow.

*6P(2K)/Similar strings- This vaulting low is only 22i-26i(BTed is 20i) and it gives you +25 to work with for another tech!

*9PP- One of her slowest attacks being roughly 36i but it provides +17 on the ground which allows an easy 2P or 2K. Very risky to whiff if the opponent tech up quickly!

*P+K(K) & K2(K)/similar strings- both lows grant +17 on the ground to work with but the pushback from the kicks may make it harder to pursue a reliable tech up. The P+KK variant is 28i and the K2K is 25i making them somewhat slower.

*2H+K/similar string enders- Another possible but situational catalyst tech; this is 28i and only provides +15, allowing a possible 2P although this is riskier unless near a wall to "cage" it.

*66PP·(P)/similar strings like 7K·(P) from a bound closer to the ground- Another situational force tech, the speed ranges from 35i to 45i, but a successful hit from a juggle and then hitting the opponent lying on the ground results in +22 from ground which allows an easy force tech from her various techs besides 4H+K which is too slow.

*BTed 8K- a 24i flipping kick that gives you +21 from the ground.

*66H+K- a slower 30i jumping sweeping low that gives you +19 from the ground although this is a bit gimmicky since the side pushback makes pursuing follow ups tougher.

*4KK- A backwards flipping 29i move that grants +26 from the ground. Since you're limited really to using backturned follow ups, techs are easier since her backturned 4P can now be reliably used to tech up but it only gives you +6. Her backturned 2P can be used and that gives you +24 and her backturned 2K is swift enough to connect and gives you +20 advantage!

*Backturned 2P- Similar to regular 2P, gives you +29 on the ground to work with for a force tech set up!

This is also a short sample I did to sort of show possible set ups she can use!

Last edited:

GarryJaune

imo she doesn't benefit much thing in recent patch cause she has no good tools to tech opponent up after a hard Knock down.(no matter 1P 9KK ect)
Her bound 9KK set-up seems much more practical to me cause,
1 I don't sacrifice too much damage
2 hard knock down is just too obvious

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
imo she doesn't benefit much thing in recent patch cause she has no good tools to tech opponent up after a hard Knock down.(no matter 1P 9KK ect)
Her bound 9KK set-up seems much more practical to me cause,
1 I don't sacrifice too much damage
2 hard knock down is just too obvious
She does imo, while her tech ups are kinda obvious, 2P is definitely her best near corners and in general since its so quick. 9KK is good too tho and the trick to getting the hard knockdown is using it when opponents least expect it, like after a fatal sit down stun set up for instance

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I think Kasumi is still a beast and I like her ground game honestly. She can get some distance from it if she needs it.

Still think DOA6 is the best Kasumi has ever played to begin with.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think Kasumi is still a beast and I like her ground game honestly. She can get some distance from it if she needs it.

Still think DOA6 is the best Kasumi has ever played to begin with.
I do too xD the only weakness about her ground game I feel is how it's somewhat affected by her lack of range, and if she's in open space, she'll have to resort to using her slower attacks like 1P and 4H+K to tech up, while if she's near a wall she definitely has scarier options. And another trade off is that her techs from 66P and and K3K and various others like P+KP aren't good near a wall since they'll wallsplat

GarryJaune

That's just because
1,11f 6P can beat 11f 5P in DOA6( what a BS game),
2, no respect to any of SS move (including 8/2SS)
3,9KK mindless force tech setups
4,44P lmao

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
That's just because
1,11f 6P can beat 11f 5P in DOA6( what a BS game),
2, no respect to any of SS move (including 8/2SS)
3,9KK mindless force tech setups
4,44P lmao
1. It's always been that way actually xD 6P deals more damage than most 5Ps do so it loses the trade up close since it's a mid with higher damage.

2. I don't understand what you mean but Kasumi has to respect sidestep moves like everyone else since she can be beat by attacks that can sidestep her strings, especially against people like Christie and Marie Rose who have their special sidesteps that can evade her highs and lows that track.

3. 9KK isn't really mindless since it's unsafe, if you tech Kasumi before the secdong strike she's generally at a disadvantage since the 9KK has a bit of recovery and you can safely step both her 9KK and 9KP from a tech since neither track.

4. 4PP is great but not that great imo, it's made to step only single strikes that are linear, it'll get beat if you try stepping a combo since its designed to only avoid one strike, and it only avoids linerar attacks so you can beat it with anything without worrying of being crushed unlike Christie and Marie Rose. I honestly feel like her 44P is one of if not the worst sidestep special attacks since it doesn't do anything really special like how Hayate and Helena's special sidesteps do, it's more her best option when you need to avoid throws or slower moves when you don't know what's coming under pressure when you don't want to risk a slow crush or ss

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD