Nobody seems to care for old Fu

TRI Mike

I hate how these kind of characters never get love because they're an old chinese dude. Even with Fu's history of dominating every game (including this one) he doesn't seem to get many discussions about him. This is the first title in the series where I've decided to give him a try and I'm more than pleased. I used to have the childish mentality of avoiding him for being an old guy and prefer the big-breasted ladies but now that I care more about gameplay I clearly see I missed on one of the strongest DOA characters ever.

Gen Fu needs more love.

Koompbala

I use old men in most games usually. I've always picked male characters in my fighters. Gen Fu bores me in this game is all. The guy never changes its silly. While there are some cool things about him this game still its not enough to keep my interest.

Aven Kujo-Gin

I´m with you, Gen Fu is a master. He is a very good character, better than most of people think. I always liked the old pro dudes in fighting games, like Lau-Chan from VF for example. I think a fighting game is not the same without a character like that.

PD: Ugyu-Haito :1::6::P: FTW.

shunwong

I'm into old men too (erm...this just sounded bad...)

I use gen fu and Shun di

BTW Lau Chan for 5th VF character in DOA5U? Something tells me he will come. After all it's DOA 5 and VF 5 and it's Akira (poster boy) sarah and Jacky (brother and sister) Pai and Lau (daughter and father). And they are all from the first VF game.

Aven Kujo-Gin

I'm into old men too (erm...this just sounded bad...)

I use gen fu and Shun di

BTW Lau Chan for 5th VF character in DOA5U? Something tells me he will come. After all it's DOA 5 and VF 5 and it's Akira (poster boy) sarah and Jacky (brother and sister) Pai and Lau (daughter and father). And they are all from the first VF game.
I would be more than happy if they add my second main from VF, but I don´t think it´s gonna happen lol

Brute

Standard Donor
I don't avoid him because he's old. I avoid him because he's boring to play and boring to fight. Visually, he lacks flash and flare with his movements (probably because he's old, but I still feel they could have made his moves look cooler somehow) and functionally, he's not my style (capitalizing on the stun game with annoying resets, etc.).

synce

It's been said but he's boring... If he was a pervert who could spank the girls and stuff he might be more popular

2988283-character_large_332x363_master-roshi.jpg

Aven Kujo-Gin

Do you guys think Gen Fu will have more protagonist in story mode or it will stay as it was? A veteran old man like him need some bad ass moment :genfu:

Koompbala

Do you guys think Gen Fu will have more protagonist in story mode or it will stay as it was? A veteran old man like him need some bad ass moment :genfu:

Stay, I don't see the point of having him change. When hes in his 80s already. Have him change when hes so close to death. Yeah I dont see him changing anytime soon.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Who the hell cares about the story¿
Speaking for myself, I do care about the direction the story goes in the future, actually. In fact, I'm probably one of the few who care enough to throw out some ideas on Facebook, DOAW, or otherwise... not that a stuck-up competitive player like yourself (or at least that's how you've been coming off in your posts lately) would care enough to listen to them anyway.

To align with the topic, I think one way to make Gen Fu interesting is to reveal any ties he may have had to Fame Douglas - or better yet, relatives of Eliot - which may have attributed to his now-legendary status regarding his art. I'll need time to iron out some possibilities on how to tie him in with the story beyond "being the teacher" now that Mei Lin's illness is no longer a factor, but one thing is certain; the Master Roshi element is out.

TRI Mike

I'm not a competitive player. I'd love to be but I just don't have the tools to become one (offline players, solid internet connection to play online). But that doesn't mean I have to like the shitty direction the plot in ALL Team Ninja games have taken since DOA3 and the first Ninja Gaiden. In DOA's case I personally prefer to discuss the gameplay things since we have a ton of shit to talk about rather than who will wear the smallest bikini or what happens with DOATEC. If it were MY decision, I'd completely scrap Story Mode like VF has been doing lately. Besides Awesmic, I normally do discuss gameplay-unrelated things like costumes. Which I do consider a very important part of a fighting game for some reason.

Regarding Fu, I think it's funny that while he's not that popular and not many fans seem to like him, he shows up a LOT on tourneys and streams. Players tend to have him as a back-up for when things get tough. He's much easier to use than I thought, excepto for maybe 16P which is being a bitch to pull out. Still, I'm really really liking him.

Aven Kujo-Gin

I think one way to make Gen Fu interesting is to reveal any ties he may have had to Fame Douglas - or better yet, relatives of Eliot - which may have attributed to his now-legendary status regarding his art. I'll need time to iron out some possibilities on how to tie him in with the story beyond "being the teacher" now that Mei Lin's illness is no longer a factor, but one thing is certain; the Master Roshi element is out.

Yeah, why he chooses Elliot as his apprentice is still a mistery even for the boy himself. I also remember Bass having a scene with him in DOA3 in which Bass is talking about his problems with Tina, maybe they are friends and know each other outside the tournament? Or it was just a random scene?
The only thing we know about Gen Fu and Helena is that they both met in the 2nd tournament, but other than that, we don´t know anything and I don´t really think he have any tie with Fame douglas.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I love Gen Fu. Easily one of the coolest characters in the series. I actually do find his moveset to be pretty cool and fun to play with.

I decided to pick him up as a secondary back in March, but I've hardly actually spent any time practicing with him and rarely even play the game anymore. Plus with Leon returning in DOA5U, I'll have a new main to re-learn which will severely cut back on my time with Gen Fu, and if Tengu comes back too, forget it. I'll be trying to main Tengu, second Leon, and have Bayman as my third. I could see myself dropping Bayman as my tertiary for Gen Fu though if Leon ends up being really good. Even so, I rarely play my tertiary characters in any game. I'm almost exclusively playing my main, while throwing out my secondary every once in a blue moon.

I definitely support the idea of giving him new moves too. Like shunwong suggested, I'd like some more mid kicks.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD