Nyotengu Mini-guide

Codemaster92163

To preface this entire thing, don't base your gameplay on this post alone. Use it in conjunction with other threads/posts on these forums to use as a base for your particular playstyle. There are many companion links you can use (her combo thread, gameplay discussion, etc.) to work from as well, so just consider this a booster pack to get you started, not an entire deck of amazing cards. If you want a TLDR version, just skip the the bottom where I summarize the most important points.

To begin with, you need to learn how to space and play footsies. I understand it's not the most fun playstyle in the world (I had mained Helena and later Pai, so spacing was never a necessity for me), but it's crucial, so at least practice your spacing game. Nyo has both good and bad range. Good in that her jab is -amazing- that stuns on NH with the best range for a jab in the game, making her i14 P a perfect tool to whiff punish players and get an offensive going. Her bad range comes from the fact that most of her other moves are very slow with only moderate reach, often leaving you in trouble when dealing with spacers yourself. 66K leaves you at -3, a nightmare for Nyo considering her abysmal speed, and doesn't quite have the range you think it does. 6K is incredibly slow, though it's decent to use still for punishing or when trying to close gaps. The real issue, though, are her running moves. Now, running P has amazing range and speed, but it's so amazingly unsafe that you're in a ton of trouble if they block. Running K doesn't really exist, as you just end up using a standard 6K. None of these moves have followups either, so whiffing is just as dangerous as being blocked. My point is this - try to maintain only moderate distance from the enemy, enough for you to bait whiffs and punish with her jab strings, catch them with 66K, or some other safe move of your choosing. She has the longest range in the game, but she's surprisingly bad at closing the gap safely and taking advantage of a full-screen distance when at a life lead. My only other recommendation is to try 9PP+K mixups to negate the problems of her other moves, but they can be tricky to land and you need to have full awareness of the distance you'll travel when using them. 9PT is VERY gimmicky and should only rarely be used as a form of mixup after you've used her 9PP+K strings enough to set a pattern.

Now, moving past that, you need to know how to deal with pressure. Nyo is very bad at it, though she can turn the tables if you know what your opponent's string is and when it will be a high/high-mid hit. I can tell you right now, you're in for a rough ride when facing Christie, but as for the other fast characters (Kasumi, Pai, Honoka), you should be able to manage with proper defense, knowing when to interrupt with P+K, and knowing when 6P+K will crush an opponent's move. 6P+K is your best tool here, as it's + on block, + on hit, has a long range, rushes highs and also some mids. You'll be using this move a lot, so familiarize yourself with its range and the moves it can crush. Once you've done that, you just need to implement it in your defense to reverse momentum and go back on the offensive. If you block an entire string, make sure you either punish with the appropriate throw or use a relatively fast move or a GB to start your own offensive. I'll get into more specifics on that later, but just know that P+K, 6P+K, 6P, PP___, and 2P are all great moves to start with. I'm sorry to say that Christie sort of destroys Nyo, even when properly blocked, mostly because of her SS mixup and Nyo's strong reliance on linear hits or tracking highs. Her speed vanquishes most of Nyo's other options (66K for example) and, well, just hope you don't run into many Christies. She's probably Nyo's worst matchup, especially when it comes to dealing with her constant pressure.

Once you've dealt with the opponent's attacks, you need to work on maintaining your own offensive. This part is pretty crucial for Nyo and can take several different forms. One is a constant crossover game while relying on BT mixup and frame advantage. Another is creating space and trying to hold your ground with 7K/7P feints and 4P+K bluffs. Another is ending strings with Hiten 2Ts to either get ground throws or FA on tech. Whichever you end up running with should depend on your health, the stage you're on, and how your opponent plays. When you have a lot of health, send them away and force them to come to you. If you're low on health but not by much, try the Hiten 2T enders for a chance at additional damage or some frames to start another offensive (though you risk losing damage as well, so keep that in mind). If you're facing a rather significant life deficit, try the crossover tactics (I'll explain them later) to keep the opponent at a constant negative while worrying about eating Nyo's brutal BT combos. The latter two tactics work well with one another, using crossovers/Hiten 2Ts to force the opponent to guess which you'll be going for, with most results leaving you in a better position than your opponent.

Now, onto more specific offensive details. P+K, 6P___ and P___ are likely going to be the moves you land stuns with initially. 6PPP has a lot of delayable frames, causes a deep stun, and is safe on block. Her PP jails opponents, leaving you to mixup with her high GBs that lead into further mixups, a tracking mid kick to catch people trying to duck (though this move is unsafe, so before), or her low kicks for some frame advantage if you manage to land them both. The low kicks are often disregarded, but they're actually very useful, and here's why. Though her 2H+K string is arguably a little more powerful in terms of potential, PP2K mixups are quite good themselves. The low kick can go into a second low kick, giving you some free damage and FA. You can also transition into the mid kick that stuns on NH and launches on CH, helping to force the opponent to guess. Both options are unsafe, so it seems bad, but hear me out. When the opponent is low on life, they have to guess which you'll use and can't play the safer route of just eating the second low kick to avoid the more deadly mid kick option. PP2K and 2H+K mixups are amazing on players with low life or those that simply like to block a lot. After the second hit in her 2H+K series connects, the third is guaranteed as well. I'm not saying it's the best move in the game, but it can really help to give you the frames Nyo needs to succeed. Now, moving on from that little tangent is P+K. at i11, it's Nyo's fastest strike. It stuns on all hit types, deals moderate damage, causes a blind stun (one of the better ones as players can't instantly counter out of it), crushes all non-ducking high crushes, and overall pisses people off. It's unsafe but rarely punished due to how difficult it is to see it and react in time, bur either way you should be careful when using it. Using these moves (and others, of course), you can start an offensive and, using the above paragraph, try to maintain it to limit the amount of time you're stuck in Nyo's worst category, and that being on the defensive.

Once you get your stun...well, let me be clear and say this is just what I've found to work. It's not mandatory, it's not necessary, it's just what I, after playing her since release, have come to find works best for her unique skills as a character. So once you get your stun, consider often your options to go straight for the launch. Nyo doesn't need to CB you for her damage, as a lot of it can come from her H+K launch in Clvl1 due to how powerful it is. I'll put it this way; P+K into an H+K launch with the appropriate ender (either PK > T or PK > 7KP based on weight, what type of hit it was [NH, CH, HCH] and wall availability) will give you almost as much damage as her CB combo for heavyweights. You're really not losing much damage if you go straight for your launch after a stun, utilizing 3P, 214P or H+K to cover all launch types and maximize damage. 214P should be followed up with PK > T. 3P should be followed up with 8PPPP+K > P+K or 2T, depending on if you want guaranteed damage or a chance at more damage or frame advantage. If they're heavy, use T or 7KP. H+K should be followed up with PK > T on NH, CH, electric floors, and heavyweights. You should use PK > 7KP on CH, HCH, or when there is a wall/ledge available. On CH, both combos do the same amount of damage with 7KP offering you distance and potential for a wallsplat which is why it's important to know where you are when choosing your followup.

Stun > Launch also really helps force more counters out of the opponent if they constantly fear being launched straight away. This benefits you again as you can get more 41236T off on your opponent to really take out a huge chunk of their life. Though I normally don't provide throw combos, it's important to mention here since they can be such a big part of your damage output, so knowing how to maximize your potential is key to winning more often.

8PPPP+K > PP > P+K is the standard finisher for HCH throws on lightweights and midweights.

8PPPP+K > H+K is the standard finisher for HCH against heavyweights

8PPPP+K > T or 8PPP > T is the standard finisher for NH against all weight classes

PPP > 7KP is the standard to maximize damage near walls for midweights

PPP > 1PPP+K > P+K is the standard to maximize damage near walls for lightweights

PPP > K is the standard to maximize damage near walls for heavyweights, though is not recommended

PPP > 6P+KP > 2T gives you a lot of damage in addition for either additional ground throw damage or around +8 in FA if the opponent techs when near a wall for midweights and lightweights.

PPP > 1PPPP+K > 2T gives you more damage than the above combo for lightweights and certain midweights, but only provides you with around +3 in FA if the opponent techs when near a wall.

PPP > H+KP+K > 2T gives you almost as much as the standard heavyweight combo in addition to the chance for a ground throw or +3 in FA on tech. This option is always recommended for walls against heavyweights.

There are, of course, other combos that can follow that throw, but these are the ones you should familiarize yourself with. In addition to those, a universal combo that helps to maintain pressure is 8PPPP+K > PK > 9P. If they tech, they're at disadvantage with you able to use your tracking mid SDS (BT 4K) BT 2P for a low stun, another throw or OH, or whatever else, really. Sometimes you end up facing the opponent, sometimes you end up BT. Either way, you're in a good spot and should be able to utilize your FA over your opponent well enough to keep your offensive going.

If you don't want to stun > launch, there are plenty of juggles/combos listed in her forums or on the media section that can help you. She doesn't need to play that game, but it definitely helps to throw it into your rotation to coerce the opponent into holding more, allowing you to get more HCH throws as well as fast/easy damage if your launch lands.

If your opponent keeps blocking you, it's important to know about her many, many guardbreaks. I'll list them off boringly and give you an idea of how they can be used and what to do with them.

4P - Excellent on block and on hit. Leaves you BT giving you access to Nyo's damn-good BT options listed above.

6P+K - Excellent, again, on block and hit. Crushes highs, so it can be safely throw out mid-string if you anticipate the high. Also has great range and can be used as a whiff punisher or even to crush some mids if you want. FA varies depending on whether you use the P followup to fly or not, when you use it, and whether they were hit or not and SE. Nothing is guaranteed after this move, so keep that in mind. Good followups are P strings, 6P, 3K strings if you don't fly forward and 2P, 6P, P+K, 66T, 3T if you do fly forward.

9K and 3KK - Fairly limited. Provides you with a forced Hiten transition on hit and block which reduces your options dramatically. On CH, it should be followed up with P+K. On NH (good luck getting that), it can be followed up with whatever Hiten move you want. On block, be careful. You're not at enough advantage to really threaten the opponent, so judge their risk-taking before you use anything. If they block it, I often just do nothing and take the space it provides, though Hiten H+K is a valid followup on block as well.

K - Moderately useful. +2 on block for a powerful high kick is pretty decent. +2 doesn't really go a long way for Nyo who's fastest move, aside from her P+K, is i14, but it's nothing to sneeze at either. Should be followed up with an OH, 2P, 6P, P+K or another K.

6K and KK- Can be risky if overused, but powerful. Guaranteed P+K when used near a wall, has exceptional range, is powerful, and crushes highs and for a brief period mids. Use sparingly.

PP6P - Great versatility. It should never be used as a standalone move since you're actually negative if you don't use a followup, but it can be followed up with P (same move as 6P+K) or a Hiten transition, both of which put you in a good situation. You can use the Hiten T if they continue to block, or maybe Hiten H+K for another guard break. If you use the P followup, just do whatever you usually do after 6P+K. This string is also great on hit.

4H+K - Meh. It's a slow GB. Nothing bad about it, just the speed. I'd use this rarely if I were you, but feel free to use the +3 (or +8 if you fully charge the move) to your advantage.

Hiten H+K - Another amazing GB. A tracking high-mid-mid kick that leaves you at +11 to +12 (depending on how close to the wall you are) is great. Best when used near a wall to provide constant pressure against the opponent. Works well when used in tandem with 9K or 6P+KPP+K to chain guardbreaks together. Don't worry about overusing this one, you can't. The only downside is you need to be in Hiten to gain access to it, so it can't be used as often as I'd otherwise hope. Good followups are her OHs, other guardbreaks (6P+K), lows, 3K, 6P, and 66K when near a wall, and 66K/other ranged moves when not near a wall.

Now for the wall game. Nyo has one of the more interesting mixups when pinning an opponent against a wall. She can go for standard damage using 1PPP+K > P+K after a wall splat, up the risk by trying to go for a much more precise 1PPP+K > PP > P+K for a ton of damage, or go for a simpler 1PPPP+K > 2T for moderate damage with the potential for a ground throw or around +3 FA on tech. If you don't go for the splat, though, Nyo's 66T is very frightening for most players as it gives her a very scary mixup game in which she's relatively safe from most things. Details on that are on another thread, so please use that as a tool to learn more about her 66T mixups and why it's good to forgo the last P followup when using it against a wall.

Nyo also has a very powerful BT game, both when she is BT and when the opponent is. BT 2P is a low that stuns on NH/HCH and, for reasons that I don't fully understand, manages to be safe from i5 low throws and standing throws even though it's -6 on block. Don't ask me, I don't get why, but just be grateful that that's how it functions. BT 2K stuns on NH but causes a knockdown on CH and HCH. It's also safe and it tracks. BT 4K is a safe tracking mid kick that causes a SDS guaranteeing a 3P launch. BT K is a fast high that leads into a second kick exactly like her 6K, though if the first kick connects on CH and above, the second hit is guaranteed.

As for the opponent being BT, you've probably all seen her combos at some point. There's a long list of them both on the forums and in the media center. All you need to know are a few basic things.

66K and 66P are very similar. Both create the same stun, both are i20, and both can be chained together to create fully guaranteed BT combos. 66K has the slightly longer range while 66P can be connected into 1P and 3P whereas 66K often cannot.

1P can be followed up with a guaranteed 3P. Anything beyond that can be countered or SEd.

P____ and every following hit keeps the opponent BT, guaranteeing every hit in that particular string. For instance, PPP is guaranteed once the initial jab connects.

Therefor, standard combos are 66K > 66P > 66K > H+K > PP > PK > T, every hit of that string being guaranteed. Another standard combo is 66K > 66P > 1P > 6P > PPP > T. This works well when near a wall as neither 1P nor 3P wall splat.

You can get these juggles often enough by either timing your 9P over an opponent well, or by using her now infamous 41236T mixups in areas with ceilings (those are also in her other threads).

Here is my TLDR version. P+K is good, 6P+K is great, go for stun > launch as often as you feel comfortable, try to bait throws, try to bait whiffs and punish with P strings, keep the opponent guessing what your next move is going to be once they're launched, try to maintain constant FA to make up for your lack of speed, know when to crush, be mindful of your range and limitations, go for BT combos, learn the different uses of her throw combos, have a good defense, and pray you never face off against Christie. There are many more specifics written within her other threads, so for the umpteenth time, go check them out of you want specific juggles/mixups/setups. This is just to get you started by knowing how you should try to approach the character and how to make use of her tools. Good luck, and may your deception rule all of creation.

Last edited:

Camel with 2 thumbs

Really liked this thread, glad at least someone realizes that spacing and footsies are important if you want to play this character, I talked about this with a couple of dudes and dudettes on xbox live who also main nyo, and after we played some sets i told them that they were going in WAY too hard, and unless you have the best yomi, she just doesn't have to the tools to get in and stay in, but apparently im just a crazy person for thinking such things.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Thank a lot! It has been super helpful, I just started to learn Tengu yesterday! :D Very clever stuff! :D Thanks!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD